The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning has placed offer for 1st overall; impressed by local prospect Reinhart

TheRussianRocket.

I really want Reinhart. I gotta a gut feeling he's gonna be franchise material. But I doubt Benning will be able to make it happen. If he does, he'll impress the hell outta me and accomplish more at the draft 2 months into his tenure than Gillis in 5 + years.

but gillis never had that high of a pick

So this whole moving up the draft thing.... Lots of moving parts. I think trading up to 3rd is probably the most possible, cuz let's face it. Tallon wants the moon for 1st overall and he will get it if a team is desperate enough. If we were to trade up for it, I think it would take Horvat or Shinkaruk. And I, personally am not okay with moving either of them in a package for the 1st overall in this weak draft. Love Ekblad. Kid is a stud and a half. Willing to move virtually anyone else in the trade for him except those two.

Buffalo would also want the moon. I just can't see it either. They do have a buttload of centers though, so if Ekblad is gone at #1, I would bet they pick Bennett because he plays wing as well as center.

Which leaves #3. Edmonton. Now they could trade up and get #1. That's easy. Yak and their pick and then draft Ekblad. Boom. Just like that. The other thought for me is they trade Sam Gagner for their 10th pick and hope Haydn Fleury isn't gone and then they pick 3rd and 10th. God only knows they would definitely want to have Reinhart instead of Gagner. That would make it a successful draft for them. Easily. That's why, if we want to trade up to Edmonton's pick, Kesler has to go to Anaheim before the draft for that 10th pick and other stuff, like Etem/Vatanen, etc. Making Anaheim not a good trading partner for Gagner and making us a great trading partner.

Edmonton's needs are: defensemen, veterans, and a two way checking 2nd line center. We have Tanev, Higgins, 6th overall, Gaunce, and Hansen.

Something tells me with a combination of these things, we can definitely land the 3rd overall.

Bada bing, bada boom, Sam Reinhart.

So this whole moving up the draft thing.... Lots of moving parts. I think trading up to 3rd is probably the most possible, cuz let's face it. Tallon wants the moon for 1st overall and he will get it if a team is desperate enough. If we were to trade up for it, I think it would take Horvat or Shinkaruk. And I, personally am not okay with moving either of them in a package for the 1st overall in this weak draft. Love Ekblad. Kid is a stud and a half. Willing to move virtually anyone else in the trade for him except those two.

Buffalo would also want the moon. I just can't see it either. They do have a buttload of centers though, so if Ekblad is gone at #1, I would bet they pick Bennett because he plays wing as well as center.

Which leaves #3. Edmonton. Now they could trade up and get #1. That's easy. Yak and their pick and then draft Ekblad. Boom. Just like that. The other thought for me is they trade Sam Gagner for their 10th pick and hope Haydn Fleury isn't gone and then they pick 3rd and 10th. God only knows they would definitely want to have Reinhart instead of Gagner. That would make it a successful draft for them. Easily. That's why, if we want to trade up to Edmonton's pick, Kesler has to go to Anaheim before the draft for that 10th pick and other stuff, like Etem/Vatanen, etc. Making Anaheim not a good trading partner for Gagner and making us a great trading partner.

Edmonton's needs are: defensemen, veterans, and a two way checking 2nd line center. We have Tanev, Higgins, 6th overall, Gaunce, and Hansen.

Something tells me with a combination of these things, we can definitely land the 3rd overall.

Bada bing, bada boom, Sam Reinhart.

Unless of course he goes 1st, or second overall.

6th overall, Schroeder, 66th

Reinhart is solid all round only knock against him is his speed and skating which can be improved as Pearson and Toffoli on L.A. have shown.

Your dreaming. It will take a lot more then an undersized unproven player and a late draft pick.

Unless of course he goes 1st, or second overall.

Doubtful. Either way, even if he did, the point is Edmonton is probably quite fine with drafting 3rd overall because they could really use either of those 3 guys. If they can't get their defenseman though, that will be a problem for them. The FA pool isn't very deep and if they want quality, they will be spending alot of money. Getting that 3rd pick is very key.

Honestly, I think we can get the 1st overall from FLA without having to give up our best prospects since the FLA wants to win NOW.

If we give up say a couple picks, a veteran, and a minor prospect I think that should be enough.

except you are not the only team who is interested in their pick. There will be teams out there who will pay more than a couple of picks, veteran and minor prospect...

This is something i always dont understand.. when you guy think of a trade proposal, most of you always think this happen in a vacuum environment and we are the only one making proposals..

in reality there will be other teams in play.

I think the Islanders are probably going to be the most desperate team to improve in a hurry and be competitive next season. How much is it worth to Snow to not be the guy who traded away a pick that is then used on a generational talent by another team?

If you get the #5 and #6 you all of a sudden have a lot more options if you are Jim Benning. Florida or Buffalo could easily trade a top 2 pick for both of those or one of them and other assets.

Edler and another asset might be enough to pry that #5 out of Long Island.

I think the Islanders are probably going to be the most desperate team to improve in a hurry and be competitive next season. How much is it worth to Snow to not be the guy who traded away a pick that is then used on a generational talent by another team?

If you get the #5 and #6 you all of a sudden have a lot more options if you are Jim Benning. Florida or Buffalo could easily trade a top 2 pick for both of those or one of them and other assets.

Might sting a little but how about Higgins? The Isles get a gritty top 6 contributor who may waive to play back home.

If we're going to try for Sam Reinhart perhaps we target Griffin as well?

except you are not the only team who is interested in their pick. There will be teams out there who will pay more than a couple of picks, veteran and minor prospect...

This is something i always dont understand.. when you guy think of a trade proposal, most of you always think this happen in a vacuum environment and we are the only one making proposals..

in reality there will be other teams in play.

We are one of Florida's most consistent trade partners, Tallon regularly gets solid return from the Canucks AND!

We have a depth of D roster and prospect players that most teams do not have, added that 6th overall and we are in a prime position in the top 10 to move up where the other 8 teams besides us who could deal with Fla don't have that depth or ease of use for moving prospect or roster D.

Not saying others couldn't package something better than us, but we have items Fla needs and would want.

Not if you listen to people on this forum sadly....

The desperate need to be competitive as opposed to more draft picks has no bearing apparently in trade proposals. Real World issues have no meaning when it comes to proposals it seems....

You're dead right though. Fla and NYI have both stated very clearly they'd be open to moving if the right deal is available. They've both stated they'll spend to the cap and desire to be int he playoffs now.

FLA has a need for solid bottom 6 players and PK capable guys as well as D prospects both RH and LH

NYI has a solid need for a top 6 winger, a bullish 2 way center for their bottom 6 2 RH D men and a solid top 4 LH D man.

Both teams need a solid back up.

There are deals to be made but according to some on these forums Vancouver has NOTHING that facilitates these deals....

Not if you listen to people on this forum sadly....

The desperate need to be competitive as opposed to more draft picks has no bearing apparently in trade proposals. Real World issues have no meaning when it comes to proposals it seems....

You're dead right though. Fla and NYI have both stated very clearly they'd be open to moving if the right deal is available. They've both stated they'll spend to the cap and desire to be int he playoffs now.

FLA has a need for solid bottom 6 players and PK capable guys as well as D prospects both RH and LH

NYI has a solid need for a top 6 winger, a bullish 2 way center for their bottom 6 2 RH D men and a solid top 4 LH D man.

Both teams need a solid back up.

There are deals to be made but according to some on these forums Vancouver has NOTHING that facilitates these deals....

I personally believe other teams have much more intriguing assets if those picks are on the market.

Edler who has a NTC and can determine where he wants to go (if he's asked to waive) Edler along with hansen have become the 2014 version of Ballard, Raymond and first.

Canucks offer edler, Flames offer Giordano or Wideman

Canucks offer higgins/hansen Oilers offer Yakupov or Gagner

Other teams have better options than us. I think the Oilers should be the ones to pry that pick out of long island. Draft Reinhart/Leon at 3, then Ritchie/ Dal Colle at 5. Immediate size in the top 6 Eventually one of those top four were going to be moved why not now.

I personally believe other teams have much more intriguing assets if those picks are on the market.

Edler who has a NTC and can determine where he wants to go (if he's asked to waive) along with hansen have become the 2014 version of Ballard, Raymond and first.

Other teams have better options than us. I think the Oilers should be the ones to pry that pick out of long island. Draft Reinhart/Leon at 3, then Ritchie/ Dal Colle at 5. Immediate size in the top 6 Eventually one of those top four were going to be moved why not now.

The thing that makes Edler so attractive, regardless of how bad his year was (which people keep forgetting to mention how bad hank, danny and everyone else was) is that he has proven production is incredibly young still and has that solid value contract.

in 3 years with the cap at $80 million a top 4 D man at $5 million will be a bargain.

The details matter, but I see your point.

Once you factor in production, age and contract though, it changes a few things for sure.

I think FLA will be too. New owner, alot of youth, they traded for Lou and have alot of empty seats. Having another high draft pick doesnt get their fan base in the seats, only winning does = need for vets to round out their team.

I think FLA will have alot of interest in Edler, Hansen, Higgins. I am sure they will try to sign some UFA's but there aren't many players of that caliber available at those cap hits, and they aren't going to convince a big name to sign there...

I can see Edler and Hansen for number 1 and a prospect (shore/howden). Helps both teams tremendously.

If you go to capgeek you'll see one thing that stands out when looking at florida's 2014/15 roster

The have very little experience on D, and are lacking dmen (campbell still has legs but Jovo is done)

They have no vets up front and lack any sort of depth.

Well we have both vets and dman depth! perfect trading partner.

Apparently, FLA is keen on Kapenen (very close with Barkov apparently so they may want number 6).

Then it becomes a tough deal, do we still move him and lose the number 6? Not sure, may be a better deal to move him to someone else and get 2 top ten picks

too much.

don't trade any player under 25. either garrison, 6th, 36th or nothing.

No way, Tanev is RFA and will be too expensive for us with our smorg of average $4.5 m per year dmen. Jensen is a quality piece that gets the trade done. I would trade Jensen for Reinhart any day of the week.

Edler who has a NTC and can determine where he wants to go (if he's asked to waive) Edler along with hansen have become the 2014 version of Ballard, Raymond and first.

One thing you fail to recognize is that (while I agree those teams have more to offer), do those teams want more youth?

NO! people keep saying oh give up Yak for another pick! Why would Edmonton do that? they have a player who has shown he can score in the NHL , sure some issues with coaching but you don't trade that for a 'maybe'.

In addition, do you think Edmonton or FLA dont need to win now? Edmonton has been losing for what 10 years? You think fans are happy with more promises of next year we'll put it all together? Dude they are throwing jerseys on the ice.

Moreover, losing begets losing. You have a team full of young guns who are learning to 'lose' not learning to win. One/two more years of that, you bust that group.

They need VETS!! a team is a mix of youth and veteran leadership, a pick does nothing for them now. They need 3-4 vets who can still play and help out their top six by adding some grit, leadership and a calming influence. They actually need guys like Edler, Burrows, Hansen and Higgins.

As for FLA, new ownership, no one in the seats, FLA draws fans by winning. Go look at their 2014/15 roster on Capgeek and tell me another pick is going to help them draw.

They didn't grab Lou only to leave him by himself. They also need players to help round out their young core.

Isles as well

Edmonton/Isles/Fla all have the same issues, a lack of vets and alot of young talent acquired from high draft picks, but they can't win. Can't win, can't draw, can't draw, can't make money - this is a business bud

Alot of people have this vancouver fan bias (obviously bc we've had 10 years of a great team), so we are ok with a couple of bad years to restock.

Other teams who have had 10 years of BAD teams are not so patient anymore and are bleeding money...the fans don't care, so you need to start putting a competitive team on the ice to draw them back....how? add in the vets they need.

Edm/FLA/Isles are perfect trading partners for us if they have their business hats on.

Archived