The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning has placed offer for 1st overall; impressed by local prospect Reinhart

TheRussianRocket.

I believe BUFF is on record saying they want 2 top prospects that are ready to step in,

In our case, that would probably mean Horvat and 6th, or possibly Horvat and Shinkaruk depending on how BUFF feels about his hip, or something involving Kassian.

At any rate it isn't a price we would be willing to pay. The unfortunate thing thing is that due to NMC's the afore mentioned players and picks are what EVERY team will ask of us, we really don't have any other tradable assets....

...unless...

We deal Kesler for tradable assets. On that front something just broke that could affect us, The Sens just went public with Spezza's trade demand, and although they are completely different players, another top center on the market DOES affect the price for Kesler.

Trev/Benning need to stop screwing around, I know for a fact ANH will give us what we need to acquire Reinhart and still have a little left over.

And though I am no MG hater, It did bother me when then were perfectly sound deals on the table, and he would hesitate, hoping that by some miracle the price would drop and he could "Win" a trade.

ANH offered us a more than fair deal, it helps both teams as a good trade should!

Trev/Benning, pull the damn trigger!

Sorry but NO ONE has ANY CLUE what has been offered by any team to the Nucks for Kesler yet.

It is purely speculation and media hype and twittering....please don't say 'pull the trigger' when no one has any clue

They will make a smart trade and are the right people to be doing it, they aren't here to give us something to yammer about over the summer. And they don't need to rush anything either. The more time that passes towards the draft, the more teams will get worried.

Reality is, even with Spezza or Thornton (maybe) available, Kesler still brings a lower cap hit, and a more balanced game to any team wanting him. Moreover, any team needing a 2c that can play a shutdown/defensive/physical game - aka playoff hockey - NEEDS kesler....

Therefore, the price goes up. Understanding the other side's needs in a negotiation is key. Yes those two players are available but do they solve Anaheim/Chicago/Pitts issues? No chance

I'm starting to wonder if Bennett could drop to 6.

Ekblad

Reinhart

Draisaitl

Nylander

Dal Colle

Bennett

If the Canucks trade up to number 2 without giving up the 6th, they could potentially snag Reinhart and Bennett

What would we give up to get #2? Buffalo is still a rebuilding team and probably wants solid picks/prospects.

If Kesler's traded I maybe see us getting the pieces needed.

What would we give up to get #2? Buffalo is still a rebuilding team and probably wants solid picks/prospects.

If Kesler's traded I maybe see us getting the pieces needed.

Getting the number 2 would be contingent on trading Kesler.

If the Anaheim deal is accurate, and Kesler does in fact want out, then I don't see a deal not getting done.

I'm starting to wonder if Bennett could drop to 6.

Ekblad

Reinhart

Draisaitl

Nylander

Dal Colle

Bennett

If the Canucks trade up to number 2 without giving up the 6th, they could potentially snag Reinhart and Bennett

To have loved ones say, "Keep yer chin up, Benny!"(whoops!)..

To have loved ones say, "Keep yer chin up, Benny!"(whoops!)..

If Bennett packs on some muscle he could be one of the best players in the draft when all is said and done.

He clearly has the skill and drive to overcome his lack of strength. If he can put it altogether he could be scary good.

If Bennett packs on some muscle he could be one of the best players in the draft well all is said and done.

He clearly has the skill and drive to overcome his lack of strength. If he can put it altogether he could be scary good.

I agree. Somewhere read humourously that he 'tanked' the chin bar to get drafted by a stronger squad!

If Bennett packs on some muscle he could be one of the best players in the draft when all is said and done.

Strength can be developed yes, but I do think his showing at the combine may cause him to drop.

Issue is more of his style (I am saying the above never seeing him play so I am qualifying my comments here), if he has shown he has great leg strength/core strength and is hard to knock off the puck (ie like a Crosby), there will be no worries.

If however, he plays a very fast game and his speed is what creates his oppty's and he can't fight off physical play, (aka Raymond) well then it could be an issue.

Where he goes after the combine will really come down to which scouts have seen him the most, and seen how we can handle physicality...

Sorry but NO ONE has ANY CLUE what has been offered by any team to the Nucks for Kesler yet.

It is purely speculation and media hype and twittering....please don't say 'pull the trigger' when no one has any clue

They will make a smart trade and are the right people to be doing it, they aren't here to give us something to yammer about over the summer. And they don't need to rush anything either. The more time that passes towards the draft, the more teams will get worried.

Reality is, even with Spezza or Thornton (maybe) available, Kesler still brings a lower cap hit, and a more balanced game to any team wanting him. Moreover, any team needing a 2c that can play a shutdown/defensive/physical game - aka playoff hockey - NEEDS kesler....

Therefore, the price goes up. Understanding the other side's needs in a negotiation is key. Yes those two players are available but do they solve Anaheim/Chicago/Pitts issues? No chance

No,

I do know EXACTLY what the Ducks offered at the deadline,

Whether it's the same deal now I couldn't say, although today's rumor was close to what was on the table back then, not quite as good, but good enough IMO.

As far as the market being affected by the slew of top centers available, you are correct in saying Thorton or Spezza do nothing for PITTS, but they could be appealing options for ANH or CHI, take a second look at what those teams are looking for and you'll see the two afore mentioned centers are serviceable options.

So we are no longer the only gas station in town so to speak, some of our bidders now have other options. That could affect the quality of offers we receive. You are obviously intelligent, so there's no need for me to spell out how that might be the case.

This team needs a #1 D more than a forward.

Look at Detroit - they were dominant while Lidstrom was there. Not that he's gone... not so much.

Ekblad - if he is that player - is who I think the team should target. And since nobody knows, it is worth the risk. Not a short-term fix, but if it works...

from what I recall, every #1 pick for years has been on forwards... and not much has amounted from these picks by and large. not yet anyways.

worth the risk

Panthers' No. 1 pick very much in play

Florida Panthers general manager Dale Tallon said he is "very open" to trading the No. 1 pick in the upcoming 2014 NHL Draft, which takes place June 27-28 in Philadelphia.

Tallon said he is listening to inquiries and talking to teams interested in the pick. Calgary Flames GM Brad Treliving admitted last week that he had talked with Tallon about the top pick.

"We're looking to make a move that benefits our franchise, end of story," Tallon said. "It has to be the right thing, and the chances of it happening, I don't know how great they are. What's the value? What's the cost to move up? That's what we're trying to figure out right now."

Seems froms the sounds of it Tallon is looking to trade the pick more than anything. Openly advertising the pick and talking about interactions he's had about it and such, fingers point to him trying to trade it imo.

I don't want to give up Bo or Hunter for Reinhart, but I'd love to leverage the pieces from a Kesler deal for the number 1 to get Sam. How many guys have we seen left BC and be successful. Time to pick one of them.

This team needs a #1 D more than a forward.

Look at Detroit - they were dominant while Lidstrom was there. Not that he's gone... not so much.

Ekblad - if he is that player - is who I think the team should target. And since nobody knows, it is worth the risk. Not a short-term fix, but if it works...

from what I recall, every #1 pick for years has been on forwards... and not much has amounted from these picks by and large. not yet anyways.

worth the risk

I might be wrong but I think the last D-man to go #1 was Eric Johnston.....and he's "meh"

Getting the number 2 would be contingent on trading Kesler.

If the Anaheim deal is accurate, and Kesler does in fact want out, then I don't see a deal not getting done.

I was blown away that Murray or Shero didn't sell the farm to get Kes. The core on both those teams are set up to win now. You have to strike while the iron is hot. I think both those GM's are going to end up regretting not going for it at the trade deadline

I might be wrong but I think the last D-man to go #1 was Eric Johnston.....and he's "meh"

Yup. Its isn't often a D-man goes #1 simply because the development time required for a defenseman is way more unpredictable. Forwards tend to offer a faster return and shorter ascent to their peak. D men tend to take longer to "put it all together"

I was blown away that Murray or Shero didn't sell the farm to get Kes. The core on both those teams are set up to win now. You have to strike while the iron is hot. I think both those GM's are going to end up regretting not going for it at the trade deadline

But in hindsight who show Anahiem coming with in one game of the western conference finals without there regular goalies? I think Murray didn't know his team was close to competing for the Cup. I would have pegged them about 2-3 years away for competing.

Archived