The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trade Up,Down or stay at 6th?

Outsiders

What do you want  

169 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think people are misguided with this being a "weak draft".

There isn't a Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, MacKinnon, or potentially McDavid slam dunk 1st year superstar. But theres still a real good 1st round depth of top end players along the lines of a Jeff Carter, Nick Backstrom, Brad Richards, Anze Kopitar, Steve Yzerman, Jamie Benn, John Carlson etc...

I'm personally comfortable with staying at 6, but I think that if they've identified a player that they feel is head and shoulders above the rest, you do what you can to get him. They'll likely have to overpay to get it done, but itll be a calculated overpayment to set up the next decade+ for the franchise, and really put a "new era" stamp on the organization.

I think that this is something that would really excite the market, and help to sell the brand, especially by picking a local kid who looks like one of the most mentally mature draftees ive seen in years. His dad played for this team, he's witnessed his brothers get drafted and been able to glean from their experience. He's lived this game at the highest level since the day he was born, and was also one of Canadas better offensive players at the WJHC, though being the 2nd youngest on the team.

I've liked Reinhart to become our future #1C for a while now, and I do think his hockey IQ is high enough to make the NHL sooner rather than later.

As mentioned, we also have a potential Kesler deal to potentially help replace some of the lost assets in acquiring Reinhart. I think we'll have to overpay to get it done, and I hope that we do.

yzerman grouped in with carlson? he belongs with crosby and malkin and id take yzerman 1000 times before ovechkin

Virtanin just had shoulder surgery out for 4-6 months!!!! For a kid to have suffered a huge injury so young into their career, I love him but gotta pass at 6 overall. I think his stock has dropped big time. He won't even be able to put a jersey on when he gets drafted, his arm is in a sling ATM.

Sam Reinhart is a cerebral playmaker, and likely the best offensive player in the draft.He is a young, creative center with terrific playmaking skills and ability to make a difference on the power play.

Two words. Power Play.

We could just take Nylander at 6 and won't have to give up anything and get immediate help on the PP

Yes stay #6, hopefully to grab Ekblad or Nylander.

I am up for picking Nylander but he won't be ready for 2 or 3 years.

That's fine, Kyle Turris was left in the system for a few years as well, the more development the better.

Yes stay #6, hopefully to grab Ekblad or Nylander.

That's fine, Kyle Turris was left in the system for a few years as well, the more development the better.

I think it is important to look at the elements we have in our prospect pipline and draft accordingly. I would love to draft Nic Ritchie, I mean he is a monstor and he has a wicked shot. But that beings said we really don't need that type of player. We already have Kassian, Gaunce, Jensen and Horvat for power forward type guys. When it come to pure skill guys and 1st defenseman we really lack. Some people say Nylander is the most skilled player in the draft. All we have is Shinkurak and Schroeder for pure skill guys. If there were a skilled defenseman we could go with that we knew would be available 10-15 I would say make an exchange that puts us in a better postion for next years draft. Really that is what I think, skilled defenceman or skilled forward. We need a Patrick Kane or a Giroux for the future. Or a Keith, Subban or Doughty. That is what we need, cornerstone players.

Would you consider guys like Hall, Duchene and Seguin to not be superstar players?

Here are some of the recent top draft picks points-per-game in their draft year.

Taylor Hall: 1.85 ppg (1st overall)

Sam Reinhart: 1.75 ppg

Nathan MacKinnon: 1.70 ppg (1st overall)

Tyler Seguin: 1.68ppg (3rd overall)

Nikolaj Ehlers: 1.65ppg

Leon Draisaitl: 1.64 ppg

Sam Bennett: 1.59ppg

R. Nugent Hopkins: 1.57ppg (1st overall)

Jonathan Huberdeau: 1.56 ppg (3rd overall)

Matt Duchene: 1.38ppg (3rd overall)

Gabriel Landeskog: 1.25 ppg (2nd overall)

People underestimate the skill and potential of the players in the top 4. If you think they're just going to be 2nd line players than you know nothing about this draft. The problem with the draft this year is the depth not the top end talent.

If Benning can trade up for the right price to get one of the top 4 then its definitely worth it.

Hall, Seguin, Duchene and Mackinnon all have explosive speed. They are game-breaking forwards. Don't see that in this years class. #sorrynotsorry

Hall, Seguin, Duchene and Mackinnon all have explosive speed. They are game-breaking forwards. Don't see that in this years class. #sorrynotsorry

whats your definition of game breaking?

because Reinhart has been compared to Jonathan Toews for playing style and Henrik Sedin. Sure you say, Hank and Toews are not "game breakers" He's known for his superior iq, play making abilities, crafty hands, and leadership skills on top of that, strong defensive game.

What's so special about Lack? We already have another young promising goalie coming up.

Lack>Markstorm. Lack has been playing better.

We could just take Nylander at 6 and won't have to give up anything and get immediate help on the PP

Reinhart is smart on both sides of the puck, the smartest in this draft and an offensive playmaker with magic hands. Nylander is an offensive side of Reinhart with the explosiveness and playmaking abilities. They aren't the same players, Reinhart is a type of franchise center teams need.

Nylander has a bit of a risk aswell, some people see Anton Rodin with him.

I would have no problem with Reinhart either, either way if Canucks can get him or Nylander.

And yes I agree Canucks could use a cornerstone player.

McKinnon has been an amazing player and he's probably going to be Crosby's chaser in stats years to come like Lemieux was to Gretzky.

Archived