The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PC Gaming Thread

IMO it depends on your situation. Typically the only students who usually need macbooks are art students and getting one is mandatory. Do you have a specific benefit from going macbook over PC? if not why not go PC if youre going to spend that much.

And do you you already a console that can handle these games? (if you don't then it would be cheaper to get a PC over a Mac and a console.)

With that said those gaming laptops are likely higher than you need to spend unless you truly want ultra settings. You could go a bit cheaper and still run those games at a solid level.

And of course keep in mind as far as building goes it is more difficult to build a laptop than it is to build a desktop.

Yea, not an Arts student, so I guess a Macbook isnt really necessary. I dont have a console personally, but I can get an xBone for 200$ new from a friend.

I think Ill just suck it up, get the console, a crappy laptop and buy a desktop year #2. A desktop seems way too huge and heavy for year 1, so Ill just wait

Yea, not an Arts student, so I guess a Macbook isnt really necessary. I dont have a console personally, but I can get an xBone for 200$ new from a friend.

I think Ill just suck it up, get the console, a crappy laptop and buy a desktop year #2. A desktop seems way too huge and heavy for year 1, so Ill just wait

If you don't mind buying used parts, you can build a desktop computer that performs better than a console for $350-$400.

Here's just one example:

If you don't mind buying used parts, you can build a desktop computer that performs better than a console for $350-$400.

Here's just one example:

My current computer is one I put together myself, but unfortunately, the rooms at Uni arent all that big, so Im just trying to conserve on space for this year.

My current computer is one I put together myself, but unfortunately, the rooms at Uni arent all that big, so Im just trying to conserve on space for this year.

Then get a mini-ITX motherboard and put it in a small enclosure. You can make a PC as small or as big as you want to.

I'm making a 13" tall arcade machine, complete with a normal size arcade stick, 6 buttons, built in 10.1" monitor, etc, that will double as an HTPC media computer with an mini-ITX motherboard. It would sit nicely on a work desk. Point is, that you can get what you want at the size that you want for very little money.

Although $350 USD is like $2,500 CDN now. :bigblush:

Then get a mini-ITX motherboard and put it in a small enclosure. You can make a PC as small or as big as you want to.

I'm making a 13" tall arcade machine, complete with a normal size arcade stick, 6 buttons, built in 10.1" monitor, etc, that will double as an HTPC media computer with an mini-ITX motherboard. It would sit nicely on a work desk. Point is, that you can get what you want at the size that you want for very little money.

Although $350 USD is like $2,500 CDN now. :bigblush:

A gaming m-ITX machine will still cost quite a bit. It's not about size. It's about cost, and the more he spends for computers, the more stuff in his room there'll be to steal.

A gaming m-ITX machine will still cost quite a bit. It's not about size. It's about cost, and the more he spends for computers, the more stuff in his room there'll be to steal.

If you buy used, it will cost the same as a console. Your very good point about it getting stolen is the killer to the whole thing though. It would be a pain in the butt to have to take apart and lock a computer/monitor/keyboard/mouse up every time you use it.

Uncovering every undiscovered location in The Witcher 3 on death march while being level 5 has resulted in running away from a whole lot of level 20+ monsters.

I ended up having two Wyvern's chase me for about five minutes the other day.

Edited by Tanev's Smirk

On the topic of building PC's I am about to build one though it is not for gaming it's for video editing and it is for my father not me.

Does anyone know of any decent motherboards that have an IEEE 1394 port on it?

On the topic of building PC's I am about to build one though it is not for gaming it's for video editing and it is for my father not me.

Does anyone know of any decent motherboards that have an IEEE 1394 port on it?

I know you don't want to hear this, but Apple is the way to go for video editing. If that's all he uses a computer for along with surfing the net and checking his e-mail, buy a $500-$700 Mac Mini. Preferably the $700 model. I say all of this while holding my nose because I can't stand Apple as a company.

https://www.apple.com/mac-mini/specs/

I think I'm done with expensive gaming headsets (managed to blow out the speakers on a $200 pair while browsing youtube).

$20 Koss clip-ons here I come.

I want to laugh at you, but there's just something so wrong with them breaking when all that you were doing was surfing YouTube.

Saw a good deal on the MSI GS60 and bought it on instinct. hopefully this works out

I don't know quite how much you've spent on it, but MSI laptops are great bang for your buck, and are reliable from my experience. Typing this on my old MSI myself.