The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PC Gaming Thread

Lots of headscratchers in the idea of Steam tags for community choice. KOTOR2, System Shock 2 and AOE2 as masterpieces? Sure I buy that, but you're rounding the selection out with F.E.A.R.? <_<

Did you actually ever play F.E.A.R.? Every single time the little girl appeared I nearly messed myself. And even without the scary parts it was a very good shooter with, considering when it was made, superior A.I. But yeah, masterpiece? Thats pushing it. I never played Age Of Empires 2 but if it was anything like the original all 3 of those games blow F.E.A.R. away.

So far from the Summer Sale I bought...

• Far Cry 3 - Blood Dragon DLC (finally at a good price)
  • State of Decay - Lifeline DLC (at long last some real new content since the original, but now I forget how to play this game)
  • Payday 2 DLCs (meh, knee-jerk purchase)
  • Magic 2014 (because I'm into collectible card games now thanks to Hearthstone)
  • FTL (butthurt after default difficulty, but had fun; definitely not a game for everyone; wish to have bought it for $2.50 instead of $4.00)
  • Gone Home (still bought it despite all the negative user reviews; is it that bad?)

and other notable purchases...

• System Shock 2 (from a $3 bundle at Bundle Star)
  • Sang-Froid: Tales of Werewolves (from a $1.9 bundle at Indie Gala; thanks goes to

g_bassi13 for the suggestion, the game seems very interesting)

Waiting until the Steam Summer Sale to buy some games. I'm interested in State of Decay. Is it any good on PC?

It's my third most played game on Steam and it's probably one of the better zombie games out there (single-player wise). Gameplay somewhat resembles The Last of Us (in my opinion anyway), but it has an open-world setting and decent RPG elements. You also get to recruit/rescue and play different and random characters as well as choose and upgrade your own base of operation (which you need to defend at times). But the combat in this game can be hard to master and any characters including the main story characters can actually DIE if you're not careful. And deaths are permanent in this game because of the auto-save.

The game's chilling main theme also kind of reminds me of the theme from The Last of Us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vaPbKwq0wA

I also bought the State of Decay DLC Breakdown, $1.74. I still have to finish the main game, and in terms of DLC my interests lie more strongly in the newer "Lifeline" expansion, but this will do just fine.

Breakdown is pretty much a sandbox mode of the main campaign. Your goal is to gather as much as possible and recruit as many or efficient as you can. Level your characters and so they are prepared for the next difficulty which always has fewer resources and more enemies than the last. Once you get to the next difficulty, rinse and repeat. If enjoyed the campaign, you might enjoy Breakdown, otherwise skip it.

So I decided to snag the State of Decay collection (knowing next to nothing about the game).

Hope it provides some entertainment.

Using a controller for this console port is highly recommended. It makes the combat so much smoother and the overall gameplay more enjoyable.

Edited by Hat Trick Maker

What are your guys thoughts on Early Access gaming? I'm personally not a fan.

If we continue to feed developers money for unfinished products what is their incentive to actually 'complete' the game.

I feel like everyone is still scrambling to capitalize on the success of Minecraft and Terraria but is doing it with a less ethical business model. For instance Survival Sandbox games are a dime a dozen now since Day Z (the mod) enjoyed such tremendous success.

Longer development cycle, growing development cost, stiffer competition, and a saturated market are part of the reason they want to squeeze the most money out of your pocket. Personally, I choose not to spoil them. I don't, however, want to moralize the whole thing. There're developers who deserve better and there are ones who deserve to do better.

Another day goes by where it seems like I will not be making a purchase.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is at 75% off all sale so I'm waiting until the final day to grab it.

I snapped up the game right away when it was on Amazon's Editor's Choice promo for $2.50. I've always wanted to get a copy for the console before they ported it to PC, especially it'd been floating around in retails for $10 I think.

Bastion has to be one of the better games I've ever played, to be honest, indie or AAA. So much attention to detail in gameplay elements and narration/presentation, along with one of the most unique art styles I've seen in a game. It was too good.

I bought Bastion a few years back during the Winter Sale and played it for about 20 minutes only as a means to get the sale achievements (which give you prize tickets I think). But I really liked the art style and especially its soundtrack, which is probably one of the best for a video game. Having said that, I definitely want to go back and actually play the game for fun.

Does anyone else here play Crusader Kings 2?

Not yet, but the new game engine is beautiful. Anyway, I did pour a lot of hours into the first Crusader Kings though. It’s my second most played game on Steam and I only started playing it like this year. It’s basically a royalty-crossing simulator and an addictive one.

In my still incomplete CKI run (at 7th generation), I started off small in Ireland and took ages to take over the country. Then I conquered most of northern Africa and slowly inched into Middle East. I didn’t bother England for some reason (nor Iceland for that matter LOL). The latest I did was move into Iberia (from my secured African base) and try to stir things up in the French kingdom (who is, or was, one of the two major powers, the other being Germany). I also had some small remotely vassalized provinces here and there in the continent, but not much success otherwise. I’ve only inherited like one piece of land so far (in the middle of nowhere in Sweden). I was appointed Papal Controller once, and it felt great.

Overall, I think CKI may be a harder game than its sequel, because in CKI you just can't invade anyone you want. You have to spend prestige to wage war and prestige is so hard to come by when you start off as a nobody. You just have to do everything on your own and with patience.

I wasn't too bothered with gathering the DLC for the game. Paradox have kind of whored it out in that respect. I'm not going to buy the game 3 times over just to get all the content.

All that you really need are the few DLC/"expansions" that they released, namely:

The Rajas of India, Sons of Abraham, The Old Gods, The Republic, and Sword of Islam

The rest is fluff. Expensive. innumerable fluff.

I tried loading my old save game, from an older version of the game, and the newer update said it wasn't possible to load it. That's brutal by the developers when they modify a game to be incompatible with itself. That said, Steam has this update/version control, where you can downgrade the game to an older version of itself that the developers bookmarked. So props to both parties for keeping that accessible, at least.

If there is one thing I hate about Paradox, it is their mass production of overpriced DLCs. So I always wait until they put up some bulk deals or something on the DLCs. I think I got vanilla CK2 from Paradox’s Humble Bundle and later bought a discounted DLC collection from GamersGate, albeit an incomplete collection.

I also had the save problem with HoI 3 where hours of world conquest went to waste after the update, and I had never heard of the update/version control you spoke of and I doubt it’d save my progress. Hearts of Iron 3 is also one of the poorest optimized 2D games with just sprites. The late game is barely playable even on a modern machine and the cure Paradox offer you is via a full priced DLC expansion which fixes the performance issue. If Paradox had real competition in this particular niche of gaming, they wouldn’t get away with this BS.

Did you actually ever play F.E.A.R.? Every single time the little girl appeared I nearly messed myself. And even without the scary parts it was a very good shooter with, considering when it was made, superior A.I. But yeah, masterpiece? Thats pushing it. I never played Age Of Empires 2 but if it was anything like the original all 3 of those games blow F.E.A.R. away.

I did and enjoyed it quite a bit, even if I fell off the train and never played the sequels. I just would never pencil it in under 'timeless classic'. :)

I hate CK2.

Its just so overwhelming, and no matter how much I try to learn it just eludes me.

I prefer to stick with the 'strategy for dummies' Civ 5.

Civ V is great. It remains my favourite strategy game at this point in time.

Just CK2 offers a different, and more political experience. It's not easy to get into, sure. I struggled and shut it off the first few times as well. But it's rewarding if you fight past the learning curve and get a hold of the game. You learn mainly on the fly.

Also see Hat Trick Maker caught up in this thread, and then some, lol. I'll try and catch up to everything you said and reply later when i have time.

Sang-Froid: Tales of Werewolves (from a $1.9 bundle at Indie Gala; thanks goes to g_bassi13 for the suggestion, the game seems very interesting

No problem. Hope you enjoy it. I'll be getting into the game myself in a week or two.

FTL (butthurt after default difficulty, but had fun; definitely not a game for everyone; wish to have bought it for $2.50 instead of $4.00)

I mentioned this before, but Steam is trying to get away with lesser discounts on a number of games this sale period.

I mean I bough FTL for $2.50 last year. How does the discount shrink 15% as the game gets older? Same goes for other games they pulled this with.

It's my third most played game on Steam and it's probably one of the better zombie games out there (single-player wise). Gameplay somewhat resembles The Last of Us (in my opinion anyway), but it has an open-world setting and decent RPG elements. You also get to recruit/rescue and play different and random characters as well as choose and upgrade your own base of operation (which you need to defend at times). But the combat in this game can be hard to master and any characters including the main story characters can actually DIE if you're not careful. And deaths are permanent in this game because of the auto-save.

The game's chilling main theme also kind of reminds me of the theme from The Last of Us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vaPbKwq0wA

Breakdown is pretty much a sandbox mode of the main campaign. Your goal is to gather as much as possible and recruit as many or efficient as you can. Level your characters and so they are prepared for the next difficulty which always has fewer resources and more enemies than the last. Once you get to the next difficulty, rinse and repeat. If enjoyed the campaign, you might enjoy Breakdown, otherwise skip it.

Using a controller for this console port is highly recommended. It makes the combat so much smoother and the overall gameplay more enjoyable.

That's what I love about the game. The manner in which it treats survival, and the atmosphere in which you have to bear it all. The ideas behind the game mechanics are just awesome. And yes, you should really have a controller while playing the game.

I already bought Breakdown, so I'm going to be trying it either way at this point. But the way you described it is the way I had understood it to be, and it doesn't feel too compelling. Will be getting Lifeline during the next sale for sure.

I bought Bastion a few years back during the Winter Sale and played it for about 20 minutes only as a means to get the sale achievements (which give you prize tickets I think). But I really liked the art style and especially its soundtrack, which is probably one of the best for a video game. Having said that, I definitely want to go back and actually play the game for fun.

Everyone should play it. It is that good. Start to finish. Especially the finish.

Not yet, but the new game engine is beautiful. Anyway, I did pour a lot of hours into the first Crusader Kings though. It’s my second most played game on Steam and I only started playing it like this year. It’s basically a royalty-crossing simulator and an addictive one.

In my still incomplete CKI run (at 7th generation), I started off small in Ireland and took ages to take over the country. Then I conquered most of northern Africa and slowly inched into Middle East. I didn’t bother England for some reason (nor Iceland for that matter LOL). The latest I did was move into Iberia (from my secured African base) and try to stir things up in the French kingdom (who is, or was, one of the two major powers, the other being Germany). I also had some small remotely vassalized provinces here and there in the continent, but not much success otherwise. I’ve only inherited like one piece of land so far (in the middle of nowhere in Sweden). I was appointed Papal Controller once, and it felt great.

Overall, I think CKI may be a harder game than its sequel, because in CKI you just can't invade anyone you want. You have to spend prestige to wage war and prestige is so hard to come by when you start off as a nobody. You just have to do everything on your own and with patience.

If there is one thing I hate about Paradox, it is their mass production of overpriced DLCs. So I always wait until they put up some bulk deals or something on the DLCs. I think I got vanilla CK2 from Paradox’s Humble Bundle and later bought a discounted DLC collection from GamersGate, albeit an incomplete collection.

I also had the save problem with HoI 3 where hours of world conquest went to waste after the update, and I had never heard of the update/version control you spoke of and I doubt it’d save my progress. Hearts of Iron 3 is also one of the poorest optimized 2D games with just sprites. The late game is barely playable even on a modern machine and the cure Paradox offer you is via a full priced DLC expansion which fixes the performance issue. If Paradox had real competition in this particular niche of gaming, they wouldn’t get away with this BS.

I think with the outcomes of the game, it's fun to just conjure up and end goal and see if you can force yourself there. I've reached my goals at this point, so my ambition now is akin to taking over the world. It's funny though, because my army has historically been really small, and just keeps pushing out these marginal victories. It's glorious.

But yeah, the DLCs with these guys seems to be a recurring problem. Even in CK2, they want to charge $5.00 for a freaking character creator. Are you kidding me? So much garbage they pawn off, and they're preying on the goodwill of their fans who want to support their otherwise wonderful games.

damn, I want CK2. was it just on sale mega cheap and I missed it?

really want Balder's Gate 2 and Tropico 4 as well.

it was 80% off on a flash sale. It'll possibly be back later, dunno. The game seems to go on sale every other week outside of these summer/winter sales anyways.

Baldur's Gate 2's remake was alright I guess. Good enough that there's every reason to play it over the original version essentially. But it's still not all too much. The only thing carrying this version is the brilliance of the game itself.

RIP Bioware, lol.

I mentioned this before, but Steam is trying to get away with lesser discounts on a number of games this sale period.

I mean I bough FTL for $2.50 last year. How does the discount shrink 15% as the game gets older? Same goes for other games they pulled this with.

Steam/Valve doesn't determine the pricing of the games, the publishers do. They can suggest pricing, but ultimately it's not up to them. Well aside from their own games.

I'm guessing with FTL they wanted to make some money off of the advanced edition, since they gave the expansion away for free to owners of the game.

Steam/Valve doesn't determine the pricing of the games, the publishers do. They can suggest pricing, but ultimately it's not up to them. Well aside from their own games.

I'm guessing with FTL they wanted to make some money off of the advanced edition, since they gave the expansion away for free to owners of the game.

It's been happening with more game than one. 2K, Bethesda, Valve themselves, a bunch of indie developers, etc. have affected the prices of certain games they carry. That, along with newer games being slower to receive significant discounts as well. Someone has to be dictating the trend. Valve/Steam likely have some say in it.

So far from the Summer Sale I bought...

• Far Cry 3 - Blood Dragon DLC (finally at a good price)
  • State of Decay - Lifeline DLC (at long last some real new content since the original, but now I forget how to play this game)
  • Payday 2 DLCs (meh, knee-jerk purchase)
  • Magic 2014 (because I'm into collectible card games now thanks to Hearthstone)
  • FTL (butthurt after default difficulty, but had fun; definitely not a game for everyone; wish to have bought it for $2.50 instead of $4.00)
  • Gone Home (still bought it despite all the negative user reviews; is it that bad?)

and other notable purchases...

• System Shock 2 (from a $3 bundle at Bundle Star)
  • Sang-Froid: Tales of Werewolves (from a $1.9 bundle at Indie Gala; thanks goes to

g_bassi13 for the suggestion, the game seems very interesting)

My Steam Sale purchases list:

Skyrim: Legendary Edition

FTL

Gone Home

State of Decay

Tomb Raider

The Banner Saga

Awesomenauts

Alan Wake

Spore

Civilizations V

The Witcher 1+ 2