The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PC Gaming Thread

If you're like me and picked up both Witcher games during the Summer sale, feel free to skip the first and go directly to Assassin of Kings. It's mindblowing how much better the second game is, and they'll nicely recap plot points from the first so you aren't even missing out on anything.

Also, if you go here, you can use your steam keys to unlock all of the bonus Witcher content on GOG for free. :)

I'm a patient gamer, but even i have to labour thorough that game when i play. All said though, i feel the need to play it because the story is all relevant to the series. Recaps are fine, playing through it is far better.

There are not many games out there where you get to legitimately control the story, and the witcher 1 does fit into that rare category.

There's a few things that are done particularly poorly. For me, the worst offense is the voice acting, lol.

I'm a patient gamer, but even i have to labour thorough that game when i play. All said though, i feel the need to play it because the story is all relevant to the series. Recaps are fine, playing through it is far better.

There are not many games out there where you get to legitimately control the story, and the witcher 1 does fit into that rare category.

There's a few things that are done particularly poorly. For me, the worst offense is the voice acting, lol.

Yeah, I can definitely appreciate the bones of the game and how those translate into the sequel, it's just such a slog with the awkward controls and b-movie dialogue. I'm usually really good with dated games (I'm still pushing Deus Ex on people fourteen years later) so I think with some work I'll be able to get through the first one.

Eventually that is, I just beat the prologue of Witcher 2 and I'm hooked.

Yeah, I can definitely appreciate the bones of the game and how those translate into the sequel, it's just such a slog with the awkward controls and b-movie dialogue. I'm usually really good with dated games (I'm still pushing Deus Ex on people fourteen years later) so I think with some work I'll be able to get through the first one.

Eventually that is, I just beat the prologue of Witcher 2 and I'm hooked.

I have to go back and beat The Witcher again because I forgot to get Raven's armor. This will end up being the third or fourth time I've had to beat the game because I've forgotten to do a quest.

Edit: Holy crap. With my next playthrough I'm going to pass 100 hours in that.

Edited by Tanev's Smirk

Ive tried playing The Witcher 2....

But the game feels really slowpaced to me. Anyone else feel this way?

YES!

I have tried several times to enjoy the game and every time I just stop because of the pacing.

That said I did wind up finishing the game off and would say it is worth it by the end but I hope Witcher 3 is a little less slow.

Edited by TheFastOne21

Hated the Witcher 1, never played 2.

just not a fun gaming experience.

hmmm I heard the 2nd was much better so Im thinking about it.

I know you played Metro Last Light. Have you ever played condemned 1? I was just wondering if they're similar games. I plan on getting Metro: LL next month.

My favourite thing about condemned was how you have to conserve your resources.

Edited by Lups

Is it a better series than Dragon Age? If I bought DA I'd only get Origins though as I heard 2 sucked

I forgot this would be for the 360... so I'd just go with DA. It will provide a lot of enjoyment even if it's only the base game. I put in nearly 100 hours in to it within the first month or two it was released.

Is it a better series than Dragon Age? If I bought DA I'd only get Origins though as I heard 2 sucked

DA 2 was disappointing - but I have hopes for the 3rd installment. I plugged a TON of hours into DA 1, however - definitely worth the pick up.

I've only played the Witcher 1 - it was okay. Slow and kind of boring, but I finished it so it wasn't terrible. If people are saying 2 is better I'll probably give it a whirl!

I think I'll pick up DA1 when it's on sale.

I went with the witcher 2 because it was heavily discounted. I also picked up Dark Souls 1 since it was free. Heard that game was good and didnt cost anything so ill give it a go after the witcher 2.

I played Metro: Last Light for a bit then got really bored of it. I was really disappointed that the enemies were mostly humans compared to the creatures in Metro 2033. I honestly think Metro: 2033 is a much better game. In a horror game, I'd rather kill f***ed up creatures then other humans. Im sure M:LL would of been great had I never played 2033 before.

Edited by Lups

I've been playing Divinity Original Sin today. A lot of fun for those into old school games. Feels a lot like Fallout 1/2, or Baldur's Gate/Dragon Age: Origins.

So basically it's trying to slot itself into that particular genre of RPG, where you're hit with what are the deepest games you can find. I doubt it plays to those standards, but I'll see as I keep playing it where it goes.

Edited by g_bassi13

Has anyone bought Forest yet on steam? Looks interesting. I'm going to wait for it to be Coop before I buy it I think...

I have it, but I haven't played it since it was released. There is some fun to be had, but I doubt I'll play it again until the fall (very humid house and this game runs hot for me).