The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article) Canucks could roll the dice on William Nylander in draft

DrChill

i say we take someone like virtanen at 6th then try to get the 10th overall pick and get nylander then

LOL. If we took Virtanen on the gamble that Nylander would be available at #10, Benning would be gone before the season started

The original article isn't overly impressive. Comparing William Nylander to his dad and saying William is better seems like a rather lukewarm endorsement.

Michael Nylander was a good but hardly a great NHL player.

All in all, if the Canucks were to look to a skilled forward, Ehlers seems a better pick, he's played in North America and should have a better grasp on the game.

They both started off having the same question marks..namely size and strength...A big difference IMO is that Nylanders combine results have confirmed that he's not physically weak or underdeveloped for his age..(this gives him a bit of a leg up on Ehlers...at this point).

This scenario will likely never happen due to Willie being years away from NHL icetime, but even if it did happen Kesler would just look down his nose at this little kid and snicker, 'This is the winger they're giving me? Where's MayRay?'

Esp. if Willie attempted any 'swagger.' He would rapidly become a lockerroom joke like Coho.

Kesler's boyish fear of any competition, see Umberger and Hodgson, is not healthy for the team.

For everything surrounding Lou's pursuit of screwing us to move to Florida, he remained a solid mentor for first Schneider, then Lack.

Kesler, as good as he is on the ice, is not the leader some make him to be. If anything he deserves to have a Messier come in and give him a smack!

Then some of our young forwards will start to emerge?

PS, those combine results suggest Nylander is much more the athlete, including offering the speed, of Raymond.

You have to think Linden is talking to Naslund about this guy. What a great opportunity to get honest first hand knowledge from Linden's former teammate and Nylanders current GM. I personally find it really hard to judge Euro jrs playing in men's leagues as their stats are way off CHL players stats. If this kid is as good as some say he is go for it, I'd way rather take skill over size.

I agree about Euro jrs playing in men's leagues. But Nylander's stats against junior level competition are outstanding. If he plays major junior in Canada next year he probably scores 100+ pts.

The consensus ranking probably has Nylander at #6 and there is where I have him. If Dalle Colle or Draisaitle drops down to #6, great. I would take either one. But if the draft goes according to form I would take Nylander at #6.

I like Virtanen but Nylander has much more upside. And I definitely have Nylander ahead of Ehlers and Ritchie.

Kesler's boyish fear of any competition, see Umberger and Hodgson, is not healthy for the team.

For everything surrounding Lou's pursuit of screwing us to move to Florida, he remained a solid mentor for first Schneider, then Lack.

Kesler, as good as he is on the ice, is not the leader some make him to be. If anything he deserves to have a Messier come in and give him a smack!

PS, those combine results suggest Nylander is much more the athlete, including offering the speed, of Raymond.

Kesler's efforts as a Canuck deserve more respect than what some have shown around here, imho.

To suggest that he's the reason kids haven't succeeded is asinine. More like the kids just haven't been that good.

And now Kesler's sounds like he's going to be out of the way so that the rebuild can officially commence.

In that case i'm probably aiming to rebuild appropiately. That means not using critical picks to select flashy undersized longshots.

Kesler's efforts as a Canuck deserve more respect than what some have shown around here, imho.

To suggest that he's the reason kids haven't succeeded is asinine. More like the kids just haven't been that good.

And now Kesler's sounds like he's going to be out of the way so that the rebuild can officially commence.

In that case i'm probably aiming to rebuild appropiately. That means not using critical picks to select flashy undersized longshots.

At last years draft the Canucks used their critical pick to draft Horvat..He's what..?..211lbs..not small by any means..

I keep reading posts of yours that smear Kesler like this but I never see any actual evidence of it. Do you have any or do you enjoy slagging the guy out of something personal ?

In April I would have rated them..............Ritchie Ehlers Virtanen Nylander

After the u18 worlds and CHL playoffs....Virtanen, Nylander, Ritchie, Ehlers

After the combine.....................................Nylander, Virtanen, Ritchie, Ehlers

Hearing Jeff Tambellini talk about Nylanders skating in relation to his fathers and his combine results have erased the many concerns I had about his ability to translate his abilities to the NHL.

I really want TL to build a team of heart and soul type players and admittedly have a personal bias towards bigger stronger but Nylander is a first line talent and that can't be overlooked.

If we somehow get Reinhart, and can also roll the dice on Nylander I would be extatic. There is. Some Offensive punch for the future. Two Swedish Future Hall of Famers to guide him as well as a former NHL father? He will do great.

In April I would have rated them..............Ritchie Ehlers Virtanen Nylander

After the u18 worlds and CHL playoffs....Virtanen, Nylander, Ritchie, Ehlers

After the combine.....................................Nylander, Virtanen, Ritchie, Ehlers

Hearing Jeff Tambellini talk about Nylanders skating in relation to his fathers and his combine results have erased the many concerns I had about his ability to translate his abilities to the NHL.

I really want TL to build a team of heart and soul type players and admittedly have a personal bias towards bigger stronger but Nylander is a first line talent and that can't be overlooked.

Trevor never had a bias towards just big players, in one interview he mentioned he loved Datsyuk

If we somehow get Reinhart, and can also roll the dice on Nylander I would be extatic. There is. Some Offensive punch for the future. Two Swedish Future Hall of Famers to guide him as well as a former NHL father? He will do great.

I would want that too, but to prolly get Reinhart your gonna have to give up the 6th unfortunatley

Archived