The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article) Canucks could roll the dice on William Nylander in draft

DrChill

I love your sense of humor, man .. :lol:

The missus always calls it cynical darkness(poor lass, she's lost in translation!), but cheers to you Tearloch, & I'll ride a wave of vindication, in your honour.

All this draft-talk/fantasizing..All I can say is late-June bloodywell better deliver, (it's what I'm raving this morn)...

Hes no Beach. If he was the Minister would have told us not to draft him until the third round. However, he is also not going to be a first line player. He is over rated by those who think the guy is going to score 30 goals a year . He would be a 15- 20 goal 45 point power forward who could become a locker room and fan favorite. I still take him over Virtanen though.

I prefer Nylander now but Ritchie is still a great prospect. He can get in better shape. Hes got a great shot and good speed for a big man. Hes got goon abilities but hes not a goon.

Get Ritchie. He's got the highest ceiling of all the prospects outside the top 5 (hell, maybe in the whole draft). He's a big man who can shoot, skate, fight and body check. The downsides are inconsistency (which is due to him being a beast when he's on his game), weight (he can lose it in the NHL, not a huge problem since he's a good skater already) and injuries (looked fine down the final strech of the season).

For me, these are the guys who I think can be top line players:

-Ekblad

-Reinhart

-Draisaitl

-Ritchie

Since the 1st 3 are likely going in the top 3 picks, I'd love to get Nick. High risk, massive reward.

Jensen Horvat Shink (Scoring, speed and skill)

Ritchie Gaunce Kassian (BIG guys)

Looks good.

Jensen Horvat Nylander

Shinkaruk Fox/Gaunce Kassian

How about that for a good mix of skill and size?

I wasnt sold on him either till the combine but hes obviously dedicated... He might be the most skilled player in the draft. He also will be around 190 pounds and 6'0 fully grown, thats sedins size except he has way better speed. At 6th it isnt a bad pick for a guy with that much skill. Look at some under 18 highlights he looks like hes on a different level then everyone else.

the Sedins are 6'2" 185

What was the point of starting a thread for that article, there was no quote from Canucks brass showing interest in Nylander. It was just yet another article saying "The Canucks might draft this guy whose projected to land in their range." Theres plenty of those.

Uhhh Beach is 6'3" 208lbs according to http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8474572

So.... which is it lmao. Huge difference in size there. I know the NHL has a habit of inflating a player's size but 5"10 to 6"3...lol.

Anyway... skill > size. Always. While i'm not sold on Nylander I honestly don't see Ritchie being practically better. We won't know if their skills will translate in a negative or positive way in the NHL.

The only thing I DON'T like is the possibility that we pass on a player who turns out to be amazing simply because they lack size. All the people who passed on MSL way back when because he was small probably SMH'd when they realized how great he is.

LOL on the Beach / Ritchie comparisons. I think Ritchie is more comparable to a Nathan Horton type player (30 goals, 30 assists, physical but not a goon).

Beach didn't have nearly the pedigree of Ritchie. Beach for example was third on his team in scoring with 27 goals 60 points. Ritchie scored 39 goals and had 18 goals and 26th points more than the third highest scorer on his team. Ritchie is also much bigger and plays a more power forward game.

I think it is hard to pass up on Ritchie if none of the top 5 fall. I have a feeling we are going to end up with Reinhart, it just seems too perfect of a scenario. Florida is very high on Nylander, our pick makes the most sense for them.

LOL on the Beach / Ritchie comparisons. I think Ritchie is more comparable to a Nathan Horton type player (30 goals, 30 assists, physical but not a goon).

Beach didn't have nearly the pedigree of Ritchie. Beach for example was third on his team in scoring with 27 goals 60 points. Ritchie scored 39 goals and had 18 goals and 26th points more than the third highest scorer on his team. Ritchie is also much bigger and plays a more power forward game.

I think it is hard to pass up on Ritchie if none of the top 5 fall. I have a feeling we are going to end up with Reinhart.

We need an offensive talent and a C like Nylander than we do another winger with size in Ritchie.

Ritchie will be a good player but I would rather take the risk with Nylander potentially being an offensive juggernaut in the NHL since we lack offense and not size

I think it is hard to pass up on Ritchie if none of the top 5 fall. I have a feeling we are going to end up with Reinhart, it just seems too perfect of a scenario. Florida is very high on Nylander, our pick makes the most sense for them.

Kyle Beach not even comparable to Ritchie too.

In addition to your points on how that is a terrible comparison

lets talk how Beach was a goon and a terrible goon at that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOPWNxOkNro

compared too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N0JFaAYcC4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUoai-pCpK0

Ritchie is a much greater fighter then Beach too, not just a better player, not just a higher IQ, not just a better shot, not just a better team leader, not just better statistically. But the kid plays with heart, fights with heart.

That video of Beach was him thinking he can push around a much smaller Bruton and he gets 1 punched KOd and had concussion problems.

Whereas Ritchie takes on a monster in Hunter Smith and more than holds his ground, the next fight too he goes from getting hit with his own helmet to shaking it off resetting his skates and unloading for the KO.

Ritchie is really incomparable to Beach. Beach was a overhyped moron.

Get Ritchie. He's got the highest ceiling of all the prospects outside the top 5 (hell, maybe in the whole draft). He's a big man who can shoot, skate, fight and body check. The downsides are inconsistency (which is due to him being a beast when he's on his game), weight (he can lose it in the NHL, not a huge problem since he's a good skater already) and injuries (looked fine down the final strech of the season).

For me, these are the guys who I think can be top line players:

-Ekblad

-Reinhart

-Draisaitl

-Ritchie

Ritchie is going to be a second liner at best, Nylander is going to be a 1st liner at best. Make your pick

Since the 1st 3 are likely going in the top 3 picks, I'd love to get Nick. High risk, massive reward.

Jensen Horvat Shink (Scoring, speed and skill)

Ritchie Gaunce Kassian (BIG guys)

Looks good.

Archived