The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RUMOURS] Daily TSN Trade Rumours, Off Season Edition

They are not going to take Garrison or he won't waive NTC.

Tanev + 6th for Reinhart

Kesler to either ANA or PIT

Start of great rebuild IMO

Virtanen for 10th = power forward with speed.

Trade Tanev while the value is high

If Garrison refuses to waive his NTC he would likely end up in Florida anyways you waive him and Florida would just pick him up so he would be better off just waiving and not even risk getting picked up by Buffalo or possibly Edmonton.

With Bill Peters being named the head coach of the Carolina Hurricanes, three coaching vacancies remain in the NHL. What is the latest news on the Pittsburgh Penguins' opening?

Dreger: We're looking at Willie Desjardins as potentially the next head coach of the Penguins. Now, Desjardins is a hot commodity, given his American Hockey League championship with the Texas Stars of the Dallas Stars organization. We know he was a hot commodity with the Vancouver Canucks, but I expect the Pittsburgh Penguins are the team that will land Desjardins.

McKenzie: If Desjardins ends up with the Pittsburgh Penguins, some might consider that to be a blow to the Vancouver Canucks, where he's long been considered a candidate for their head coaching position. Keep in mind that John Stevens, who recently re-upped with the Los Angeles Kings, was another candidate in Vancouver. However, there are still lots of guys who general manager Jim Benning and president Trevor Linden have interviewed and are interested in. Mike Johnston, the general manager and head coach of the Portland Winterhawks, is amongst those who is considered to be a strong candidate for this job.

LeBrun: Stevens would have had an interview - at very least - with the Hurricanes, Penguins and Canucks but he decided to stay put in Los Angeles, where he was promoted from assistant head coach to associate head coach. I spoke to Stevens and the one thing that's out there that he claims is absolutely false is that this promotion is not about a succession plan. There have been rumours that he's in line to replace Darryl Sutter as coach at some point in the next couple of years. Those are not true, according to Stevens. He stayed because he wants to be there and one day if he wants to be head coach, it will probably happen somewhere else.

On the trade front, three centres are drawing a lot of attention. Amongst them is Joe Thornton, who has a no-movement clause. Would he willing to waive it?

LeBrun: Joe Thornton has yet to tell the San Jose Sharks he wants to be moved somewhere. Right now, Thornton wants to stay in San Jose. Could that change by the end of the summer? I suppose it could before the end of the summer. In the meantime, teams who are intrigued are calling San Jose. Amongst those teams are the Detroit Red Wings. Thornton is from St. Thomas, not too far from Detroit but, again, none of that talk means anything until Thornton decides to tell the Sharks he does not want to be a part of the rebuilding plan, and that has not happened at this point.

A lot of talk surrounding Ryan Kesler's availability and the availability of Jason Spezza, who after Bryan Murray spoke at the general manager's meeting, sounds like it's a fait accompli he's moving.

LeBrun: Once we get to the draft in Philadelphia it looks like things will really heat up on the Spezza trade front and on the Ryan Kesler trade front, obviously with first-round picks being involved next Friday night. The Anaheim Ducks are real wild card in all of this. We know they want another centre and they tried to get Kesler at the trade deadline in March but failed. The Ducks have talked to Ottawa about Spezza and have talked to the Canucks, again, about Kesler but the price is too high. I think the Senators would love to get their first round pick back from Anaheim, which they traded for Bobby Ryan, but I don't think Anaheim is willing to make that deal.

McKenzie: Keep on eye on the Boston Bruins; they have surplus of defencemen. Obviously, Zdeno Chara and Dougie Hamilton won't be moved but Johnny Boychuk, Dennis Seidenberg, Adam McQuaid, Kevan Miller, Torey Krug and Matt Bartkowski, who are all NHL-caliber defencemen. Don't be surprised if they move one of those players for a forward. The Bruins are still looking to sign Jerome Iginla and whether that deal gets done or not will dictate their needs this off-season.

Could restricted free agent P.K. Subban draw an offer sheet this summer?

Dreger: He'll definitely be a prime target but it is hard to say that it is likely to happen. However, the longer the negotiation - or lack thereof - between Newport Sports and the Montreal Canadiens drags on will create a target for Subban from an offer sheet perspective. However, in saying that, there is no chance the Canadiens would not match and it sounds like the Canadiens are prepared in case of that situation.

Honestly I wouldn't mind giving up Horvat for Reinhart. Reason being.. how many of our 1st round pick forward ever worked out in the last century? Only 1st round forward we had from the last 10 years is literally Kesler.. and how many 1st overall pick turned out to be bust in the last 10 years? Maybe yakupov but he's still young. Almost all of them are a star in the league. I rather take my chance with something that have a much higher success rate at being a star.. 1 potential top end 1st liner>> 2 potential 2nd liners

Honestly I wouldn't mind giving up Horvat for Reinhart. Reason being.. how many of our 1st round pick forward ever worked out in the last century? Only 1st round forward we had from the last 10 years is literally Kesler.. and how many 1st overall pick turned out to be bust in the last 10 years? Maybe yakupov but he's still young. Almost all of them are a star in the league. I rather take my chance with something that have a much higher success rate at being a star.. 1 potential top end 1st liner>> 2 potential 2nd liners

Well, I would mind because that would be teh dumbest trade ever. Just because you value Reinhart so much doesn't make Horvat expendable. We need more than one good player here.

We have more than enough assets including the 6th overall this year to facilitate a reasonable trade without giving up any of our top prospects.

Losing Horvat while also possibly losing Kesler is just unfathomable.

A future depth at middle of Reinhart, Horvat, Gaunce, Cassels, Richards, Matthias, Sedin, Lain, Santorelli looks pretty incredible really.

No need to lose Horvat moving up because that middle looks just as good with a well developed Nylander orDraisatl

Honestly I wouldn't mind giving up Horvat for Reinhart. Reason being.. how many of our 1st round pick forward ever worked out in the last century? Only 1st round forward we had from the last 10 years is literally Kesler.. and how many 1st overall pick turned out to be bust in the last 10 years?

By that logic, then us picking Reinhard means he's likely to be a bust, too.

Where Willie Go?

As TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger tweeted Friday morning, there may be a 'change of heart' in Pittsburgh as he's hearing Willie Desjardins is no longer a slam dunk for the head coaching job following his meeting with the Penguins Thursday night.

Dreger adds that as of Thursday night, Desjardins was Pittsburgh's target but perhaps his interest in the Canucks' coaching job scuttled the Penguins' plan.

Broadway Bucks

Craig Custance of ESPN.com speculates that if the New York Rangers use their second and final compliance buyout on Brad Richards, they could use some of the money saved to go after unrestricted free agents like Paul Stastny, Dan Boyle or Mikhail Grabovski.

Floor Issues

As John Vogl of The Buffalo News points out, the Sabres are about $16 million under the expected $52 million salary floor for next season.

As it stands, their payroll for next season is $36 million, which covers 17 players. Vogl adds that if the team sends qualifying offers to restricted free agents Cory Conacher, Jamie McBain and Chad Ruhwedel, they're still more than $12 million from the floor with Tyler Ennis and Marcus Foligno left to re-sign.

Peter Prinicple

As Tracy Myers of Comcast SportsNet.com writes, there have been no contractual discussions yet between the Blackhawks and Peter Regin, though his agent Craig Oster said things should become clearer over the next week as the NHL draft approaches.

Regin, 28, played 17 regular season games, recording two goals and four points.

According to John Vogl of the Buffalo News, Sabres GM Tim Murray is looking to add another first round pick and is tired of hearing about the salary cap floor as they are currently about $16 million under. If they extend some qualifying offers to some of their RFAs, the Sabres could be about $12 million below the estimated $52 million floor, with only Tyler Ennis and Marcus Foligno to re-sign.

“I don’t like spending money, but it’s easy to spend money,” Murray said in First Niagara Center. “It’s just are the right players or the guys that we like, are they going to approach us to take our money?

Murray has already had talks about getting another first round pick.

“I’ve got a lot of potential deals out there that have a first coming back, whether it’s in the 20s or in the teens,” Murray said. “I have been trying hard to do that. The people I’ve talked to haven’t said no, but nobody’s called back and said, ‘Yeah, let’s do this deal.’ ”

Going D-eep

Ordinarily, one would assume the Edmonton Oilers were once again in prime position to improve their future, holding the third overall pick in Friday's NHL Draft.

Trading down, however, might be the best course of action for the Oil - according to The Hockey News' Matt Larkin.

Larkin suggests that with the Florida Panthers likely to make Aaron Ekblad the first-overall pick on Friday, Edmonton would be better served to trade down from the No. 3 to acquire "an established asset" and scoop the Draft's consensus second-best blueliner, Red Deer's Haydn Fleury.

The Oilers have long needed to bolster their blue line and started that process by taking Darnell Nurse seventh overall last June.

Larkin floats the hypothetical idea of the Oilers looking to deal with the Toronto Maple Leafs, possibly getting a young defender like Jake Gardiner along with the eighth overall selection in exchange for the third overall pick. The scenario would offer the Leafs a crack at a top-end forward like one of Sam Reinhart, Sam Bennett or Leon Draisaitl while allowing the Oilers to have a realistic shot at Fleury.

Wait and C?

From the sounds of it, the Montreal Canadiens may not be searching for a new captain come July 1?

ESPN The Magazine's Craig Custance tweeted Saturday morning that Habs captain Brian Gionta will be meeting with his agent to discuss his future options.

According to Gionta's agent Steve Bartlett, Gionta has "no strong inclination to leave" Montreal.

A pending unrestricted free agent, Gionta is coming off a five year deal that paid him $5 million per season. The 35-year-old American scored 18 goals and 22 assists in 81 games last season.

Foreign Markets

Teams may look beyond North American shores on July 1 to scoop up additions for the 2014-15 season.

In another tweet, Custance mentioned a couple intriguing options could be returning to the NHL, namely Kontinental Hockey

League forward Leo Komarov and former first-round pick Peter Mueller.

Custance mentioned that Komarov is still talking to his former team, the Toronto Maple Leafs. The Leafs hold Komarov's NHL rights until July 1 since he opted to return to the KHL for 2013-14 while still eligible for restricted free agency in the NHL. The Finn has spent parts of each of the last five seasons with Moscow Dynamo, including a brief stint during the lockout-shortened 2012-13 season.

Komarov was a popular grinder and depth forward for the 2012-13 Leafs team that became the first to make the playoffs since 2003-04.

Mueller, meanwhile, led the Swiss League in goals in 2013-14. He scored 24 in 49 games with Kloten. The eighth overall selection by the Phoenix Coyotes in 2006, Mueller's NHL career-high was 22 goals in his 2007-08 rookie season.

Some interesting tweets

RD @BuckFoston_ · 4h
Bob Murray: "We haven't had a solid 2C. No offence to Saku. I was not happy with our defense. Our goaltending was okay." #canucks #ducks

RD @BuckFoston_ · 4h
Getzlaf asked about Spezza or Kes playing behind him. Murray jumped in and pulled a Gilly: "can't talk about other players" #canucks #ducks

Bob Murray: "Faceoffs are a major concern. Quite frankly we played Getzlaf a lot because of it" #canucks #ducks

RD @BuckFoston_ · 4h
Bob Murray: "we need somebody that can shoot the puck on PPs also" #canucks #ducks

According to Joe Smith, Lightning GM Steve Yzerman said they are considering re-signing goaltender Anders Lindback. The Lightning like Andrei Vasilevskiy and Kristers Gudlevskis, but they want them to play. Ben Bishop will carry a heavy load as the teams No. 1 goalie. Meanwhile, Jim Matheson can see the Lightning taking a took at Martin Brodeur as a potential backup to Ben Bishop. Yzerman said they’ve had some “really good discussions” with Ryan Callahan and are hopeful that they can get a deal done by July 1st.

According to Joe Smith, Lightning GM Steve Yzerman said they are considering re-signing goaltender Anders Lindback. The Lightning like Andrei Vasilevskiy and Kristers Gudlevskis, but they want them to play. Ben Bishop will carry a heavy load as the teams No. 1 goalie. Meanwhile, Jim Matheson can see the Lightning taking a took at Martin Brodeur as a potential backup to Ben Bishop. Yzerman said theyve had some really good discussions with Ryan Callahan and are hopeful that they can get a deal done by July 1st.

Drop Cannata to the ECHL for more play time, assign Markstrom & Eriksson to the AHL and Lack/Lindback duo for the Canucks... Mmmm how Swede is that?

Guest Dasein

1. Coach hiring

2. Kesler trade

3. Draft day - possibly moving up

is probably the sequence of the Canucks' moves. WD on Monday, hopefully Kesler in the next couple days following so that Benning has time to assess the assets he acquired via Kesler trade to possibly move up the draft to get Reinhart.

1. Coach hiring

2. Kesler trade

3. Draft day - possibly moving up

is probably the sequence of the Canucks' moves. WD on Monday, hopefully Kesler in the next couple days following so that Benning has time to assess the assets he acquired via Kesler trade to possibly move up the draft to get Reinhart.

Kesler to Anaheim in a package which includes the 10th overall. We use the 10th, Tanev, and our 6th for #1. Edmonton leaves the draft sad because they don't get either of the top 2 defensemen. Just to troll Edmonton?"!!!! Hahaha

Archived