The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] If Canucks pick 6th, Ehlers has a clear statistical edge over Virtanen

Good article thanks for posting OP! I agree with it. Virtantin will be a solid player but picking him at 6th is too high. I'm hoping Benning manages to trade up and snag Reinhardt but that is unlikely. If any of the top 5 fall out then we def need to take them. Otherwise I'm hoping for ehlers or nylander at 6. If we trade kes to Anaheim for the tenth pick than I have no problem taking the local kid JV. Either way I'm so damn excited for this draft!

the Kyle Beach comparison in this article is just way off.... Kyle Beach was a big, moderately skilled forward with an attitude problem... I don't think Virtanen will be a 1st line All STar, but I don't think he will be a bust either and will enjoy a long NHL career.

Stats doesnt mean everything. like sure, you can score 1000 goals in a season, but what about the rest? he scores a thousand in once season, but turns the puck over 3000 times. You have to look for every part of the game, but were fans, all we do is look at stats and be excited about a player.

Ehlers = Speed, Dynamic, Good shot,

Virtanen = Checking, Heavy shot, good skatin for a big guy.

Both of them are not so good in defense.

Stats doesnt mean everything. like sure, you can score 1000 goals in a season, but what about the rest? he scores a thousand in once season, but turns the puck over 3000 times. You have to look for every part of the game, but were fans, all we do is look at stats and be excited about a player.

Ehlers = Speed, Dynamic, Good shot,

Virtanen = Checking, Heavy shot, good skatin for a big guy.

Both of them are not so good in defense.

The idea is to guage where they'll be, development wise years from now playing a much different and difficult pro game. I'm not against either because both could turn out great, although with Shinkaruk/Horvat and Kassian I do think the Canucks could use another scorer/physical presence alongside Jensen. If MDC drops he is another really good player to take as well.

Many want to take a chance on Virtanen. But I feel we have taken chances on people in Schroeder and White for example. Most recently Jensen and Gaunce. I really hope both Jensen and Gaunce crack the line-up and even expect them to. But I feel we went on a leap and hope they were the guys at the time. Of course Virtanen is higher up in the standings, but I feel we will take yet another chance on him, hoping he will be the guy. I'd rather take someone solid that will take a few year sot groom, but will most likely be a star if coached and developed in the right way.

Im fine with Ehlers. Pick anyone BUT Virtanen. Bust im calling it. Call me crazy if u want.

I'm not crazy about Virtanen but I don't think he'll be a bust. He's only 17. Lots of time for improvement. His floor is 3rd line imo. That's not terrbile...

Ehlers. Pick Ehlers. Draft Ehlers. Actually anyone but Nylander...

Nylander has the highest ceiling out of anyone in the draft, and he also has the most outstanding offensive capability and talent out of anyone in the draft, so I don't know what you're talking about.

As I said, I hope we draft all of them B)

I'm just really hoping one of our previous 1st rounders will finally crack the lineup and play himself into the hearts of Vancouver. I don't want an Edmonton situation where all the youngsters are forced into play too fast. But I also can't wait for Horvat, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Cassels, Jensen & even late late late pick Tömmernes to play regular minutes. Even if we've had Kesler, Schneider, Schroeder, Hodgson, Edler, Grabner, Raymond and so on crack the lineup, I feel we haven't been treated with a quality rookie performance in a long long time. Calder worthy stuff I mean.

Nylander has the highest ceiling out of anyone in the draft, and he also has the most outstanding offensive capability and talent out of anyone in the draft, so I don't know what you're talking about.

First I'd argue that Ekblad, Reinhart or even Draistil have the highest ceiling in the draft. Offensively, yeah Nylander could have the highest ceiling.

But Nylander also could be the biggest bust in the draft. Probably the most risky pick in the top 10. The risk with Ehlers, Virtanen, Ritchie, and Perlini is a lot less that with Nylander. I doubt Benning and the Canucks organizations take that risk.

First I'd argue that Ekblad, Reinhart or even Draistil have the highest ceiling in the draft. Offensively, yeah Nylander could have the highest ceiling.

But Nylander also could be the biggest bust in the draft. Probably the most risky pick in the top 10. The risk with Ehlers, Virtanen, Ritchie, and Perlini is a lot less that with Nylander. I doubt Benning and the Canucks organizations take that risk.

Ehlers is just as much of a risk as Nylander. Why do you assume, just because he didn't play in the CHL, he has a higher risk of busting? Ritchie, has the highest chance of busting in the top 10. We will see, whether he was using his skill do well in the CHL.. or was he just using his size to advantage, and that advantage will be dinished once he gets to the NHL.

Ehlers is just as much of a risk as Nylander. Why do you assume, just because he didn't play in the CHL, he has a higher risk of busting? Ritchie, has the highest chance of busting in the top 10. We will see, whether he was using his skill do well in the CHL.. or was he just using his size to advantage, and that advantage will be dinished once he gets to the NHL.

Nylander didn't even put up many points. How do we know he's as/more skilled than Ehlers or the others?

As for Ritchie, he could bust and still turn into a 3rd or 4th line player who os still usefull. Where is Nylander going to fit if he busts. Understand my point? Just not comfortable risking the 6th overall pick on Nylander. Maybe if he's still available at 10th...

I think we will end up choosing between Dal Colle, Nylander, or Ehlers. Now out of those what would everybody rather have? If Dal Colle is available I think you go with him.

I agree, MDC has the higher chance of falling out of the top 5 if Burke goes wild with his pick.

Archived