The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL 2014 Draft Timeline

ftmN

Hey all,

Seeing as I don't generally watch the draft due to sporting commitments I was wondering if someone could give me a brief rundown of what the draft timeline looks like.

Broadcasting starts at 7pm ET, but how long does it take to get through the first 10 picks for example? I'm asking this as I am only able to watch the first 2~ hours of day 1 of the draft due to said commitments. Please feel free to lock after summary, thanks in advanced.

Hey all,

Seeing as I don't generally watch the draft due to sporting commitments I was wondering if someone could give me a brief rundown of what the draft timeline looks like.

Broadcasting starts at 7pm ET, but how long does it take to get through the first 10 picks for example? I'm asking this as I am only able to watch the first 2~ hours of day 1 of the draft due to said commitments. Please feel free to lock after summary, thanks in advanced.

just guestimating but Id say pick 10 will be made at 8ish. sonmuch bs with highlights and interviews and intros.

the worst was when it was in Montreal. thsy had to say everything in french first to not piss of the locals.

I know you already mentioned that it is 7pm EST so just wanted to clarify that you know that means 4pm our time. I only say this because the guy who replied after you said something about pick 10 at 8'ish (I think he meant 5pm our time). Anyways, they go really slow and they likely won't start on time so expect the Canucks to draft by about the 50min-1hr mark.

Dude the entire first round lasts 4 hours plus sometimes depending on trades plus the commercials.

It's a made for tv event. It takes an hour for a guy to kiss and hug his entourage which is usually 10 deep and make his way to the stage. :sadno:

If you are watching for 2 hours it will probably get to pick #15 by then depending on how many trades go through. Enough time to see the Canucks pick maybe twice with the return from a Kesler trade? :P

Honestly after the first 10 picks the draft is not as exciting unless their are some trades happening and some guy starts to fall who is supposed to go high.

The NHL needs to get a clock though like the NBA and NFL. The limit to make a pick in the first round should be 7 minutes each and 5 minutes for round 2, then 3 minutes for each round after.

Really hardly anyone watches after the 2nd round anyways unless you have a connection to somebody getting drafted or a hardcore draftnik fan and have watched the Euro guys and Americans from U.S. college and high school play.

I love watching the draft for the drama but it is too long for me especially when the majority of guys will not be in the league for 5 years.

I can stomach the NBA draft because they get 2 rounds done in the same amount of time as the NHL's first round.

The NFL draft is the best because every guy pretty much in the first 2 rounds has a chance to play right away while everybody else is fighting for jobs come training camp.

Thanks for the replies guys. And yeah I know they were referring to EST not AEST. Broadcast starts at 9am AEST (Melbourne time), so I'll be able to watch the first 2hours of the draft, wasn't sure about the broadcast and how much wasted time was inbetween, thanks all.

Thanks for the replies guys. And yeah I know they were referring to EST not AEST. Broadcast starts at 9am AEST (Melbourne time), so I'll be able to watch the first 2hours of the draft, wasn't sure about the broadcast and how much wasted time was inbetween, thanks all.

Australia, wow. It's nice to have Nucks fans all over the world.

I'll be all over it as well, good clarification thank you, based in Sydney Australia.

Quite exciting this year with an early pick, huge conjecture over who to take? Will someone fall from the top 5? Will we make some trades for picks? I'm also excited about the 2nd rounder, a month ago I was keen for the Canucks to pick up Sanhiem but I think he has played himself into a first round selection.

Weak draft......I don't believe it I think there is plenty of talent and am excited by the prospect of these kids getting into the system in Utica.

Interesting week coming up

Australia, wow. It's nice to have Nucks fans all over the world.

Haha yeah there's a few of us scattered around, I've actually just got back from an overseas trip to Canada/US, saw van and toured rogers.

I'll be all over it as well, good clarification thank you, based in Sydney Australia.

Quite exciting this year with an early pick, huge conjecture over who to take? Will someone fall from the top 5? Will we make some trades for picks? I'm also excited about the 2nd rounder, a month ago I was keen for the Canucks to pick up Sanhiem but I think he has played himself into a first round selection.

Weak draft......I don't believe it I think there is plenty of talent and am excited by the prospect of these kids getting into the system in Utica.

Interesting week coming up

Yeah this draft is quiet weak, I'm a lot more interested in this years draft compared to last years which is why I'll be watching live instead of catching the highlights in the afternoon.

Archived