The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vladimir Tkachev Draft Steal 2014?

I thin if he’s rated 60th that is probably accurate. Consider the KHL factor in with Russian kids these days; you never know who will go back to the mother land. I suspect some teams not to worry about that but with an organization like Vancouver, when was the last Russian player drafted? Shirikov? He’s in the KHL now.

I thin if he’s rated 60th that is probably accurate. Consider the KHL factor in with Russian kids these days; you never know who will go back to the mother land. I suspect some teams not to worry about that but with an organization like Vancouver, when was the last Russian player drafted? Shirikov? He’s in the KHL now.

Rated 60th for the European skaters. That means he's rated more like 160th.

His rankings are all over the place but the CS (#60 European skaters) is one of the lower ones I've seen. Pronman's ESPN list had him at #34 overall. Another blog list had him at #45. Then again, THN doesn't list him at all in their top-100.

A couple of the popular pay guides have him ranked as high as the second round (not saying which ones--those guys get pretty mad whenever anyone gives away their milk for free ;)).

But I've actually seen quite a few people who consider him a worthwhile shot in the 2nd round, even some Rangers fans, which is really saying something as at #59 he'd be their first pick of the 2014 Draft (and one of only four picks they have this year).

For us, if he was still around at #66, I'd be open to taking a chance on Tkachev (AKA "Tkachyov"). And I'd definitely be fine with stealing him in the late rounds (although I don't think he gets past the third round).

This guy can be a low risk, high reward move. I don't see why taking him in the 5th (doubt he will be available then) would hurt. He's committed to Moncton next year again along side Barbashev and they have unreal chemistry which will also help in his development. Dude registered 1.5 ppg in his first year in the ohl.

I think he'll be taken in the 4th or before we make our 5th round selection. The 3rd round has better players and we don't have a 4th so it's hoping he comes to the 5th.

For every Gallagher or St. Louis there are a couple dozen Zach Hamill/Kyle Beach/Jordan Schroeder's

You can't teach size.

one of these things, is not like the other,

one of these things just don't belong,

one of these things size is not the issue,

one of these things is a 6'3" 203lbs headcase

Rather take a gamble on another Oshawa General.

Hunter Smith. 6'7" 220 lbs.

100 pims.

Get some muscle for our club.

Smith is just a waste of a pick. I wouldn't draft him in the 7th round. Every off-season there are goons available why waste a pick on one who might not even make the NHL.

one of these things, is not like the other,

one of these things just don't belong,

one of these things size is not the issue,

one of these things is a 6'3" 203lbs headcase

You're right, excuse me; replace Beach with another little guy of your choice, my point remains the same.

It takes a special breed of little guy to do it.

You have to have extremely good skating ability, and a ridiculous amount of dedication to conditioning, and more determination than most of the other players out there; Not to mention "Skill"

Simply put, unless you know something about this kid that I'm missing, why gamble with such a small player so late when there will be so many better - excuse me, bigger options available?

Not every draft pick has to be, or can be a top 6 forward or top 4 dman.

If you can pick up a reliable checking center, or even fourth line tough guy, in the draft(should your team need it) Who would say no?! - besides that, there is always the chance that with enough dedication, talent,development - and a little luck that that bigger, supposedly lower ceiling pick turns out to be the next Alex Burrows-type and can pot 20-30 goals for us.

Enough with the high risk high reward types, we've been burned enough. :P

Archived