The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*** Canucks have made an offer to the Edmtonton Oilers***

It's probably a deal that will only be done when it's time for the #3 pick - for both teams.

We only will want it if Reinhart is on the board. And Edmonton won't move it until they are sure someone took Ekblad.

I'd imagine we'd be okay with either Bennett or Draisaitl as well... I think it would probably hinge more on Ekblad being gone.

I'm more interested in the rumor out of Chicago that the Hawks offered:

Sharp/Roszival/D prospect/1st rounder to Florida

for

1st overall/Gudbranson

That has to be tied to Kesler and us getting the 1st overall through Chicago along with other parts. Then if Benning still pulls this deal with Edmonton, we would have the 1st and 3rd overall.......drafting Ekblad and Reinhart.

Cornerstones on D and up the middle....if Benning can pull it off...WOW! Almost circa Burkie 1999

And two President's trophies and a run to game 7 of the finals... or is that not what the game and business is all about?

And how do you account for Detroit for so many years and now LA, with those late first and other rounders turning into solid players? You can only cite "luck" or good fortune so many times.

Actually the problem is and always has been kids, but starstruck kids, believing that all we need is that one golden goose to lead us to the promised land and all will be nirvana. A lone Sam Reinhart, let alone MacKinnon or McDavid is not going to accomplish that, especially when the cost is three first-round prospects, and quality ones at that.

A few years down the road CDC will be hand-wringing and suggesting that Benning trade off Reinhart to get the team some depth.

It is business but you still need to replenish the well somehow. That depth you speak of didn't help us reach the finals in any way, shape, or form. It's a result of it.

For starters Detroit didn't have MG running the team. They are the best run franchise in the league and were also able to draft 3 franchise players in late rounds. Either extremely smart, or extremely lucky and probably a bit of both. If you follow hockey closely you will know that Detroit trades their first rounder's like they're going out of style. Why, because most NHL players come from the top of the first round.

The point being is just about every team in the league that is successful does it with a top picks. LA did it by sucking for years and years in a row, something we don't have the luxury of doing in hockey crazy Vancouver. That's why we keep making the playoffs and never intentionally tank while in LA fans focus can be shifted to the Dodgers, Lakers, etc..

I know your stance very well by now and your golden goose theory is unsubstantiated. While kids in general tend to be star struck, no one is raving that Sam is taking us to the promised land, so I have no clue where that statement is coming from. What we want is a guy that will be a huge part of the team and will almost assuredly be a great NHLer compared to two kids that might never see the ice. As has been mentioned we may be getting draft picks back elsewhere as well.

If you like a barn of prospects so much why don't you propose trading our 6th for two second rounders, our 36th for 2 third rounders, etc.?

Again it is a bit of overpayment to get these things done but our team is definitely in need of some top young talent. While it might or might not work out securing the number one forward in the draft it is hardly the worst thing in the world, especially since is no where near a Forsberg Lindros situation and we are not giving up the world. Calling everyone down that doesn't agree with you is a little obstinate and defeats the purpose of the board and no one would be asking JB to trade Reinhart for depth pieces.

the love affair with Shinkaruk is ridiculous. He scores one nice (albeit soft) goal in pre-season and everyone is touting him as the next Bure. He's not going to be a superstar. He dropped in the draft and WD has many ties to Medicine Hat, I'm sure he knows his game inside and out.

Oh, god, shut up. It isn't about him scoring a goal in pre-season. It's about him having lots of potential to look forward too.

And don't give me that garbage of "he's not going to be a superstar." You don't know, so quit acting like you can see the future.

Oh, god, shut up. It isn't about him scoring a goal in pre-season. It's about him having lots of potential to look forward too.

And don't give me that garbage of "he's not going to be a superstar." You don't know, so quit acting like you can see the future.

Hunter appears to have a genuine enthusiasm for the game and also a very high drive/motor/ in regards to improving.

These 2 characteristics are far more important than where you go in the draft. How many "lazy Russians" have you seen that just couldn't quite live up to their rankings?

I am not doubting his love or commitment to this team, but if we are going to use this rationale we may as well draft Virtanen too. Personally I want to see what he can do on our team, but Reinhart would most likely slot in the 2C this season. Hunter may still be another year away.

That's my whole point. I would prefer to sit 6th and take Virtanen and keep Shinkaruk.

Virtanen had an outstanding scouting report, he has a massive upside as far as tools in the bag, he is fast AND skilled and better still he likes to dole out a physical game. Add Shink to that and I know I am happy.

Archived