The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Draft] VAN selects Jake Virtanen 6th Overall

Strombone1

It might play a major factor, but it shouldn't. I understand they are concerned about selling tickets, but the only thing that sells tickets is winning. To win you need the best players possible. I guarantee you that if the Canucks are bottom feeders in 5 years, not a single fan will give a rat's ass that Virtanen is a local boy. It's a complete non-factor from a business standpoint.

So my question to you again then... if Jake Virtanen serves us to the bottom feeders in 5 years, who could we have drafted as the savior?

It wasn't a choice of Jake Virtanen or Nathan Mackinnon, to which Canucks drafted Virtanen for the sole sake of him being a beloved hometown boy. It was between Virtanen, Ritchie, Ehlers, and Nylander.

4 young kids, each with their own upsides, but all with question marks.

You go into any meeting to choose between those 4 and you'll hear the clear cut business decision of hometown Virtanen.

This isn't rocket science.

I said it before and I'll say it again. Jake Virtanen is our Ricky from the Trailer Park Boys. He may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but he has undeniable skills. Ricky's was growing certain things and talking his way out of it with the cops. Jake's is his physical play, speed, grit, and shot. You need a Ricky on every team. Now we just need a Julian (maybe Horvat?) and a Bubbles. Pour some rum and cokes, this was a solid draft, boys!

If not for the shoulder injury he would be competing next year, I think, due to size and development. Due to delay from surgery maybe he is one more year and junior.

Horvat, Cassels and Gaunce turn pro next year probably, shink, Virtanen and McCann the year after. Future is bright.

I said it before and I'll say it again. Jake Virtanen is our Ricky from the Trailer Park Boys. He may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but he has undeniable skills. Ricky's was growing certain things and talking his way out of it with the cops. Jake's is his physical play, speed, grit, and shot. You need a Ricky on every team. Now we just need a Julian (maybe Horvat?) and a Bubbles. Pour some rum and cokes, this was a solid draft, boys!

Oh boy, they should have you on the Draft Panel!

Stupid ass pick. Can't believe it.

Your name is Claude Giroux and you have a pic of a king lifting the cup, you must be a super Canuck fan eh?

Anyways love the pick, shoulder won't be a problem.

Kinda reminds me of Lucic when I watch him just skate right through kids to score goals, and what a shot this dude has, unreal.

Win on every damn level Lahey, great post

If this kid can play a team game, and quit playing like such an individual, then he could have really great potential, like star potential, if not, we got a good 2nd line goal scorer, but not a 6th overall worthy player IMO.

This is somewhat how I feel, but the best thing I can say about the pick is it wasn't nick ritchie. I would have barfed.

Your name is Claude Giroux and you have a pic of a king lifting the cup, you must be a super Canuck fan eh?

Anyways love the pick, shoulder won't be a problem.

Kinda reminds me of Lucic when I watch him just skate right through kids to score goals, and what a shot this dude has, unreal.

He won't be skating right through men in the NHL at his size, so hopefully he develops some other skills like passing soon.

Have to admit -- that physicality, balance, speed, and shot are quite remarkable at his age. Kid can score. Appears we just doubled the number of high-octane finishers in the prospect pool... to two.

Should we trade Shinkaruk and Virtanen for Reinhart? :)

He won't be skating right through men in the NHL at his size, so hopefully he develops some other skills like passing soon.

The kid is 6'1 and 205... at 17! And it's not just that he haphazardly throws weight around, but he does so with actual strength and balance. It's not just about size either. Raffi Torres is the same size at 6' and 210, and is one of the hardest hitters out there.

lol yeah, get us back to zero! Oh, and remember to add Tanev or Kassian in there too ;)

But seriously, a playmaking center is certainly in their plans, but for now we're getting a decent stable of two-way 2/3Cs. Remember that Morrison was never a "true" 1C as usually defined.

It was Shinkaruk Virtanen and Mccann for Reinhart.. Im happy we didnt make the move

Also, Kesler for Bonino Sbisa Mccann and Dorsett is pretty good

Garrison for a very good goaltender prospect as well?

Archived