The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Draft] VAN selects Jake Virtanen 6th Overall

Strombone1

Congrats to all those who stuck with Virtanen through the last 3 months. I had my heart set on Nick Ehlers and could not believe we would take Jake at #6.

I was wrong and all those who thought we would pick him were right B)

Lets hope he turns into the power winger we all know he can be !

+1

I was an Ehlers fan as well and appreciated how you defended him even when confronted multiple times.

You were very passionate for sure.

I've gained a lot of respect from you that you can flip the switch and support our draft pick, no matter who we draft, despite being so passionate about Ehlers.

You, sir, are a true Canucks fan.

Just glad that Benning's intention is to avoid players like Ehlers entirely.

Virtanen appears to be a remarkably mature person despite being very young. Very happy with the draft so far. Almost makes me forget about the nightmarish day of wtf trades.

I was a bit against this for a long time, but at the end of the day I'm really really happy that we drafted him. He's really excited to be here and ready to take his good time to be healthy and ready. Not just expecting to get into the lineup right away.

Benning will be fired next year. Hope he enjoys screwing around for a few months. I just cant believe this. Another injured BC player. We just got rid of garrison. Seems like the canucks and linden just wanted any BC born player. Doesn't matter if hes good or not. We don't need another Linden to get us to game 7 of the Stanley cup and lose. We need someone to win us a cup.

Wow dude, you need to find another team to cheer for. You know beeing a fan means that you love and support a team, not to pick it apart and try and find reasons to hate it.

Benning will be fired next year. Hope he enjoys screwing around for a few months. I just cant believe this. Another injured BC player. We just got rid of garrison. Seems like the canucks and linden just wanted any BC born player. Doesn't matter if hes good or not. We don't need another Linden to get us to game 7 of the Stanley cup and lose. We need someone to win us a cup.

and your any better " Donald Brashear was a big monkey while he played for us .. You Clowncikle F%cking monkey !! i Mike Gillis was a fuckin Douche You sucked it Cok. when he made those shitty deals !!

Wow, only on here a few days and already I see how dramatic some 'fans' are. Coming out saying this is a bad pick without even seein him play a game in a nucks unifom. Jb and Tl know more about prospects then anyone here. And the fact that benning has come out and said drafting and being involved with prospects run in his blood, ill trust his pick over anyones opinion and watch the results on the ice.

Wow, only on here a few days and already I see how dramatic some 'fans' are. Coming out saying this is a bad pick without even seein him play a game in a nucks unifom. Jb and Tl know more about prospects then anyone here. And the fact that benning has come out and said drafting and being involved with prospects run in his blood, ill trust his pick over anyones opinion and watch the results on the ice.

Nicely put.

Your opinion is as relevant as your moniker.

I was a bit surprised we got him after all that talk about moving up in the draft, but I'm very pleased. He's gonna be a highly valuable addition to the team. I read that Burke was very impressed with Virtanen as well and was even thinking of moving down to get him. That says a lot. I'd like to see Virtanen paired with Horvat and Gaunce with Fox.

i checked out leafsdc to see how they felt about nylander and it made me feel much better abpout are pick. like button said virtanen copuld be the grand slam of this draft yet he had him at 41 yet he also said the nucks would pick him wtf??? lol what finally sold me on jake was after watching benning today its obvious he knows what hes doing the kes trade for example i like both players we got u watch sisba pardon the spelling im tired i think was given up on way to soon and bonino got a chance last year and ran with it. he also has that knack for scoring big goals and i think back to the games against the ducks this year and i always noticed him. the ducks didnt wanna part with the pick but benning didnt fold like mg would have and we got rewarded with inho anpther steal like shink last year, the guys numbers are mis leading had a terrible start and didnt have the best supporting cast.getting rid of garrison was pure gold so based on that if benning says jakes are guy then i fully trust him. the final clincher for me was jake is young couple more months and he would be in the 2015 class yet he looks ready now hes got the size speed the shot and the mean factor.tbc

i checked out leafsdc to see how they felt about nylander and it made me feel much better abpout are pick. like button said virtanen copuld be the grand slam of this draft yet he had him at 41 yet he also said the nucks would pick him wtf??? lol what finally sold me on jake was after watching benning today its obvious he knows what hes doing the kes trade for example i like both players we got u watch sisba pardon the spelling im tired i think was given up on way to soon and bonino got a chance last year and ran with it. he also has that knack for scoring big goals and i think back to the games against the ducks this year and i always noticed him. the ducks didnt wanna part with the pick but benning didnt fold like mg would have and we got rewarded with inho anpther steal like shink last year, the guys numbers are mis leading had a terrible start and didnt have the best supporting cast.getting rid of garrison was pure gold so based on that if benning says jakes are guy then i fully trust him. the final clincher for me was jake is young couple more months and he would be in the 2015 class yet he looks ready now hes got the size speed the shot and the mean factor.tbc

looking forward to when hes in the nhl who knows maybe he heals quick and gets a 9 game audition either way i think with the addition mcann we now switch gaunce and maybe cassels or horvat to the wing having kass shink jake jenson burr higgens and maybe moulson or vanek cammalerri mathias fox on the wing looks pretty solid assuming we make a big splash on the 1st. given what we saw today from benning i think its a safe bet we ill do just that i fully expect benning to finish this retool this year i disagree when people say were gonna suck and commit to a rebuild we have the young guys the cap space and a great gm now. besides why fire torts since they have to pay him if they planned on going through a long painfull rebuild next years gonna be a very good year. ps i forgot to add i hope we let markstrom invent himself und rolly in utica while lack serves as a 1b to miller y thrust him in a role hes not ready for yer gcg

Archived