The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

46 minutes ago, guntrix said:

There we go with the hyperboles again.

He's a 6th overall pick and older than some of his teammates in TC.

Yet after the last couple games JV has been played scarcely and, quite frankly, looks like he doesn't belong in this team. 

inb4 excuses, saying that we're haters, calling us delusional, etc.

In what you quoted it says please explain yet you didn't explain why. So I assume you don't have any reasons...

So two prelim games in, on a different continent and some write Jake off. Having done that perhaps they can now leave the thread?

you know, leave it for those of us who have something called patience?

This kid  has years of nhl play in front of him and only a few months behind him. He was judged by Benning, WD and TL as being able to start this year in the show-even though he is so young he can't be sent to  the AHL. So it is juniors or nhl  with a stop at the world juniors-.

The doubters  disregard his age, the fact that he is playing nhl games at that age, and the fact that the coach and gm of the best team of juniors in Canada wanted him. All those professional hockey folk are wrong because Joe blow on cdc has watched 2 prelim games on tv or internet.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Canucks Prophet said:

That sounds like a harsh and unfair judgement of Virtanen to me. Not everyone can be a leader, and I don't see him being one at this point. But to claim that he's "the kid who's mom picked out his clothes for him in high school and never had to set his own alarm clock cause mom woke him and drove him." That's just ridiculous and makes little sense. 

He's one of the toughest rookies of this year, made clear by the fact that he was leading all rookies in hits before his injury and call up. He's only get tougher from here on out. I dunno if where he'll go after the tournament, but 'm staying optimistic that he'll be a great player for the Canucks in the long run. Many people here want Lucic on this team, and many were sad to see Kassian go. Many fans still love Bertuzzi. That's enough to tell you the importance of tough and rough wingers. 

you can tell everything you need to about his mental game by comparing how jv and hutton react to being out of their comfort zone in that cringeworthy christmas 'rap'

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

Kassian and Bertuzzi are on a whole other level of toughness compared to Jake.  Just because you are built like a truck and run around hitting doesn't mean you are tough

My point is that these types of players are valued by the Canucks fan base. We want to see these types of hard hitting but skilled players in our lineups.

Like I said, Jake is 19 and only gonna get tougher from here on. He's at a good starting point.

Just now, Edlerberry said:

you can tell everything you need to about his mental game by comparing how jv and hutton react to being out of their comfort zone in that cringeworthy christmas 'rap'

LOL ok there buddy that some facial expression stuff right there. All I see is that Hutton is a partier and Virtanen doesn't care for that kind of stuff

2 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

LOL ok there buddy that some facial expression stuff right there. All I see is that Hutton is a partier and Virtanen doesn't care for that kind of stuff

Hutton seems like the kind of guy who nobody in the league would ever hate. He's almost always smiling, and he plays pretty clean hockey from what I've seen. 

Ironically, Jake is definitely the polar opposite. Every opposing team is gonna have his number by the team he's in his prime haha.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Canucks Prophet said:

Hutton seems like the kind of guy who nobody in the league would ever hate. He's almost always smiling, and he plays pretty clean hockey from what I've seen. 

Ironically, Jake is definitely the polar opposite. Every opposing team is gonna have his number by the team he's in his prime haha.

Probably, mind you Hutton isn't exactly Chris Pronger on the back end, and Virtanen plays the style of game that will get under your skin

2 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

exactly. button's just dreaming' of juicy sauces and smiling. that's a beauty right there.

then jv is grabbing his balls and comes across like the kid who's mom dressed him - and no smile he's serious about those hand...wait is that a peace sign or a wilted half 'w'? he doesnt know, looks like something from a kanye vid tho

5 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I hate people that come in here with these types of comments..like what is your point?

You're trying to explain to people that he still has time to develop in to a good player?  Like we don't already know this or something?  Do you think you are some sort of Genius when you explain to us that Jake has only been in the league for 2 months?  Has somebody called him a bust?  if they have then please quote it and show me.

This is the prospects thread, we are discussing the prospects and what we think their potential is and you are in here generalizing, you don't think any of us watched him in Junior last year?  Or in any of his AHL games?

You don't think we should discuss other prospects who were drafted around him and discuss why they would of been the better option? 

This goes for Gstank to and all you other prospect thread haters.  Just because Jake is a Canucks prospect doesn't mean I have to kiss his ass.  I'm here to discuss what I see from him and 90% of the time it is negative, but that's not my fault now is it....

I'd suggest you let go of hate, it is harmful to your health. Relax, breathe deeply and try to develop patience. Some  people seem to need things explained to them in small, concise phrases, be glad that a fellow of your intellect is not one of them. Could you show me where I said I don't think any of you watched him in junior or the ahl or are you just generalizing?

" I'm here to discuss what I see from him and 90% of the time it is negative, but that's not my fault now is it...."

much of what we see is our "fault" or responsibilty. Many people see a lot of good things from Jake and other players. Some people only see the bad and that is just how different people see things. However I really shouldn't have to explain this to someone such as yourself, should I?

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Canucks Prophet said:

jv is such a mark, and hutton is a beauty,

maybe they're the beauty mark this team needs to define itself in the future.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I hate people that come in here with these types of comments..like what is your point?  

You're trying to explain to people that he still has time to develop in to a good player? 1 Like we don't already know this or something?  Do you think you are some sort of Genius when you explain to us that Jake has only been in the league for 2 months?  Has somebody called him a bust?  if they have then please quote it and show me.

This is the prospects thread, we are discussing the prospects and what we think their potential is and you are in here generalizing, you don't think any of us watched him in Junior last year?  Or in any of his AHL games?

3 You don't think we should discuss other prospects who were drafted around him and discuss why they would of been the better option?  

This goes for Gstank to and all you other prospect thread haters.  Just because Jake is a Canucks prospect doesn't mean I have to kiss his ass.  I'm here to discuss what I see from him and 90% of the time it is negative, but that's not my fault now is it....

1 When you continuously sh!t on a player that is playing far beyond his draft position...then yes; you are unaware of his potential.

2 JV is a power forward who claims that his favorite player is Rick Nash. Even if he became a fraction of what Nash is, he is a good pick.

3 This is the single greatest  knock on this pick. He was taken 6th overall and we should have taken Nylander or Ehlers. Those are the 2 that keep being brought up...are there others? 

Here is why point number 3 is irrelevant and makes it nonsense when you analyze the 2014 draft. We drafted McCann #24 in 2014. McCann is the Canadian equivalent of Nylander and you can easily argue that he is already better because he is already putting up numbers in the NHL as opposed to the AHL.

Did we get lucky with McCann? Sure. Was putting JV into the NHL at age 19 a mistake? Nope. Will Willie Nylander and Nik Ehlers become star players in the league? Yep almost certainly.

28 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

1 When you continuously sh!t on a player that is playing far beyond his draft position...then yes; you are unaware of his potential.

2 JV is a power forward who claims that his favorite player is Rick Nash. Even if he became a fraction of what Nash is, he is a good pick.

3 This is the single greatest  knock on this pick. He was taken 6th overall and we should have taken Nylander or Ehlers. Those are the 2 that keep being brought up...are there others? 

Here is why point number 3 is irrelevant and makes it nonsense when you analyze the 2014 draft. We drafted McCann #24 in 2014. McCann is the Canadian equivalent of Nylander and you can easily argue that he is already better because he is already putting up numbers in the NHL as opposed to the AHL.

Did we get lucky with McCann? Sure. Was putting JV into the NHL at age 19 a mistake? Nope. Will Willie Nylander and Nik Ehlers become star players in the league? Yep almost certainly.

I think there is a lot of talk now about Virtanen vs. Nylander vs. Ehlers because there was a lot of talk about that comparison just before the draft. The first five spots were pretty much consensus at the time (although that consensus now looks like it overvalue Dal Colle at #5). Then there was a group of guys who could go anywhere in the 6-10 range. A lot of people on CDC favored Nylander, a lot favored Ehlers, and a lot favored Jake,

Personally I went back and forth several times. Ultimately I think I favored Nylander just before the decision was made but, after the fact, I was happy with Jake. Earlier this season I would have gone with Ehlers. But Nylander has been lighting up the AHL despite being an "underage" player (which is allowed because he comes from Europe). 

It remains an interesting comparison and we probably won't have a really good read on the comparison until next season.

The good news, of course, is that McCann looks like he could be better than any of them. His 7 goals and 11 pts on the season compares nicely with Ehlers 5 goals and 12 pts. And he is a better defensive player than Ehlers and has held his own playing some very tough minutes (like against Zetterberg in Detroit). He looks like a steal for a low first rounder. (Of course, by the time he was taken by the Canucks he had moved to the top of most lists, so it was  not exactly a hard pick).

1 minute ago, JamesB said:

I think there is a lot of talk now about Virtanen vs. Nylander vs. Ehlers because there was a lot of talk about that comparison just before the draft. The first five spots were pretty much consensus at the time (although that consensus now looks like it overvalue Dal Colle at #5). Then there was a group of guys who could go anywhere in the 6-10 range. A lot of people on CDC favored Nylander, a lot favored Ehlers, and a lot favored Jake,

Personally I went back and forth several times. Ultimately I think I favored Nylander just before the decision was made but, after the fact, I was happy with Jake. Earlier this season I would have gone with Ehlers. But Nylander has been lighting up the AHL despite being an "underage" player (which is allowed because he comes from Europe). 

It remains an interesting comparison and we probably won't have a really good read on the comparison until next season.

The good news, of course, is that McCann looks like he could be better than any of them. His 7 goals and 11 pts on the season compares nicely with Ehlers 5 goals and 12 pts. And he is a better defensive player than Ehlers and has held his own playing some very tough minutes (like against Zetterberg in Detroit). He looks like a steal for a low first rounder. (Of course, by the time he was taken by the Canucks he had moved to the top of most lists, so it was  not exactly a hard pick).

Well said.

The fact that Nylander(AHL), Ehlers(NHL), McCann(NHL) are doing well doesn't help Jake much. If they weren't playing well and were struggling, would Jake be criticized every single day?

31 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

I don't see how Nylander and Ehlers are "certainly" star players, depending on your definition of a star player. 

Yes, maybe one day they will be star caliber players. But nothing is decided until they prove it in the NHL if you ask me. Ehlers is off to a promising start, but his numbers aren't amazing yet. 

3 minutes ago, Cowardrobertford said:

If that's the case Virt is way farther behind

It doesn't really matter where these players are at right now. What's important is how they develop in the next few years into their prime. Nylander the rookie is not winning Toronto a cup, not unless they find a proven star by next year. They have to wait for Nylander to enter his prime.