The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Got to wonder who Allvin would have taken if he had the pick...obviously it'd be Willie Nylander and he'd probably be our captain by now. Then with the 24th overall pick I wonder who we would have taken - probably another Swede like Kempe or Marcus Pettersson who were taken right afterwards (I doubt we would have struck the Pastrnak gold). 

You don't want to just end up drafting an entire team of Swedes but the top end guys are worth it as we've seen. Obviously hypotheticals are never possible to play, and in fairness if we had Allvin I don't know if he'd pick Demko in the 2nd round, but our current team plus Nylander and Marcus Pettersson would be pretty elite. Even if they pushed us into a later pick the next few drafts, I think we still snag Pettersson who probably would have been slept on anyway, but maybe miss out on Hughes.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Got to wonder who Allvin would have taken if he had the pick...obviously it'd be Willie Nylander and he'd probably be our captain by now. Then with the 24th overall pick I wonder who we would have taken - probably another Swede like Kempe or Marcus Pettersson who were taken right afterwards (I doubt we would have struck the Pastrnak gold). 

You don't want to just end up drafting an entire team of Swedes but the top end guys are worth it as we've seen. Obviously hypotheticals are never possible to play, and in fairness if we had Allvin I don't know if he'd pick Demko in the 2nd round, but our current team plus Nylander and Marcus Pettersson would be pretty elite. Even if they pushed us into a later pick the next few drafts, I think we still snag Pettersson who probably would have been slept on anyway, but maybe miss out on Hughes.

I puked at Nylander as captain. Interesting take though on how things might have shaped up. Seems pretty accurate 

3 minutes ago, Devron said:

I puked at Nylander as captain. Interesting take though on how things might have shaped up. Seems pretty accurate 

I'll be honest as well.  Of the "big three" in Laffland, I thought this "creampuff" would be the weak link.  I was completely wrong.  Not that I think he's Ted Lindsay, but the other two are post-season 'no shows'.  At least he 'shows up'.

• Cheers 1

The Bremerhaven Penguins have already decided to bring Jake back for the next season. This is a small market in Germany's top league the DEL. The GM still is convinced that Jake can become a star in the league mainly because of his skating and his powerful and accurate shot.

Die Fischtown Pinguins hoffen in der neuen Saison auf viele Tore von Jake Virtanen.Die Fischtown Pinguins hoffen in der neuen Saison auf viele Tore von Jake Virtanen.

Could contain: Hockey, Ice Hockey, Ice Hockey Stick, Rink, Skating, Sport, Clothing, Glove, Helmet, Person

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:our current team plus Nylander and Marcus Pettersson would be pretty elite. Even if they pushed us into a later pick the next few drafts, I think we still snag Pettersson who probably would have been slept on anyway, but maybe miss out on Hughes.

Depending on how much better we would have been, I don’t think we get Petey in that scenario. Both Rangers and Red Wings were rumoured to be picking Pettersson with their pick. But if Nylander and Marcus only drop our drafting slot by a pick or two, then I agree with you.

I

1 hour ago, Diamonds said:

I wonder if he can outscore Darren Archibald...

But more importantly I hope he's finally had enough wake up calls to get it. Society can only improve when people actually learn from their past and improve themselves.

It's going to be quite the challenge for Jake to outscore Darren because

- Darren plays on the top line with more skilled linemates than Jake. Jake most likely is going to play on the second or third line with less skilled linemates

- Darren will play his third season in Germany's top league whereas Jake has yet to arrive in the league

- Darren plays on the better team than Jake

- Darren had 44 points in 52 Games in the regular season / and put 11 points in 14 playoff games

The odds clearly favor Darren when it comes to the production. Jake needs to have a hell of season to outscore Darren.

• 2 months later...