The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

4 hours ago, Byrix said:

anyone else waiting for the hat trick?

A couple of things here. 

1) The AHL feed is terrible. 

2) Hoping that this would skyrocket Jake's confidence offensively with the puck. Fantastic shots! 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

And Nylander did his time in the AHL, while Jake was ineligible.

Jake will not be able to replicate Nylander production in the NHL. QUote me on that. 

100% IMPOSSIBLE 

Not a good pick considering he was 6th OVERALL. If Jake was picked 24th overall i'd be aight. 

What pisses me off the most was he was picked 6th overall.. 

Edited by DontMessMe
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Im sorry for doing this guys but ima ruin the party 

Meanwhile... 

https://www.nhl.com/news/william-nylander-nhl-rookie-of-march-2017/c-288326266

https://www.nhl.com/player/nikolaj-ehlers-8477940

Both with around 60 pts in NHL already... rip Guess Virtanen getting 2 goals in AHL is better than nothing. 

There is no guarantee that they would've produced those numbers if they were on the Canucks. If they played on this team they would've got the same minutes and treatment as Jake. They would've played low minutes on the 4th line. We need to get over not drafting any of those players. I'm happy we drafted Virtanen, this team needs some toughness. Fan base needs to stop crying over not drafting Ehlers, Nylander, Tkachuk and praising these players and trash talking players like Juolevi and Virtanen in every possible way they can. Nylander plays with Matthews, on the 1st line he's obviously going to be putting up big numbers and Ehlers is playing with Wheeler and Sceifele also on the 1st line. If Jake was in there spots he would be getting the big minutest and he would be putting up great numbers as well. Let's be happy Jake is starting to get his confidence back playing in Utica. 

Edited by J-23
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

meh. water under the bridge. it's in the past now, not worth dwelling on it. 

all we can do is support the kid in his development and see what kind of player he turns out to become in the NHL. 

he scored two goals tonight. that's progress for him. he seems to be further ahead now at this point of the season, than he was when arrived in utica earlier on. that's improvement. that's progress. that's development. like i've said numerous times here. i'd be interested to see how he develops offensively next season. i think he needs another season down in the AHL for more seasoning. he's improved, but he still has some ways to go. make him work for it. make Jake so desperate, that he goes all out every night to make it to the NHL. 

Exactly why can't we support him instead of bashing him, and complaining over who we could've gotten instead of him. It is what it is, and this fan base has to deal with it.

Edited by J-23

Just now, J-23 said:

Exactly why can't we support him instead of bashing him, and complaining over who we could've gotten instead of him. It is what it, and this fan base has to deal with it.

Yep. Dunno. Some fans will always complain about everything. 

We had one of the greatest goal scorers in a Canucks jersey in Naslund, and people still complained about him. There's just no pleasing some people. Ah well. Moving on.

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

Yep. Dunno. Some fans will always complain about everything. 

We had one of the greatest goal scorers in a Canucks jersey in Naslund, and people still complained about him. There's just no pleasing some people. Ah well. Moving on.

There needs to be a Nylander and Ehlers thread, then these people that are so obsessed with them can talk about them there and not in the Virtanen thread.

Just now, J-23 said:

There needs to be a Nylander and Ehlers thread, then these people that are so obsessed with them can talk about them there and not in the Virtanen thread.

they'll still migrate here. there's no sense in making a nylander and ehlers thread. those players aren't canucks. if they want to talk about them, go to the jets and leafs message boards and cry over spilled milk there. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, N4ZZY said:

they'll still migrate here. there's no sense in making a nylander and ehlers thread. those players aren't canucks. if they want to talk about them, go to the jets and leafs message boards and cry over spilled milk there. 

Exactly my point why are people having such a strange obsession with players that aren't even Canucks.

20 minutes ago, J-23 said:

There is no guarantee that they would've produced those numbers if they were on the Canucks. If they played on this team they would've got the same minutes and treatment as Jake. They would've played low minutes on the 4th line. We need to get over not drafting any of those players. I'm happy we drafted Virtanen, this team needs some toughness. Fan base needs to stop crying over not drafting Ehlers, Nylander, Tkachuk and praising these players and trash talking players like Juolevi and Virtanen in every possible way they can. Nylander plays with Matthews, on the 1st line he's obviously going to be putting up big numbers and Ehlers is playing with Wheeler and Sceifele also on the 1st line. If Jake was in there spots he would be getting the big minutest and he would be putting up great numbers as well. Let's be happy Jake is starting to get his confidence back playing in Utica. 

giphy.gif

• Upvote 2

Just now, guntrix said:

giphy.gif

lol. i think time will tell how jake will be producing at the NHL level. not convinced that he would be producing the way nylander and ehlers is producing, cause that's asking a lot. but y'never know. never say never. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

meh. water under the bridge. it's in the past now, not worth dwelling on it. 

all we can do is support the kid in his development and see what kind of player he turns out to become in the NHL. 

he scored two goals tonight. that's progress for him. he seems to be further ahead now at this point of the season, than he was when arrived in utica earlier on. that's improvement. that's progress. that's development. like i've said numerous times here. i'd be interested to see how he develops offensively next season. i think he needs another season down in the AHL for more seasoning. he's improved, but he still has some ways to go. make him work for it. make Jake so desperate, that he goes all out every night to make it to the NHL. 

Hate to admit it but you do have a good point. All we can do is support the kid even tho I dont really like the pick. Guess Benning kinda makes part of it up  by drafting kids like Tryamkin/demko not in the 1st round. 

13 minutes ago, J-23 said:

You can find toughness in free agent or later rounds in draft. Sure, jake can get great minutes but who said he can put up great numbers? Didnt Button say he had $&!#ty hockey IQ. 

Meh. Just dont like the fact he went 6th overall

Just now, DontMessMe said:

Hate to admit it but you do have a good point. All we can do is support the kid even tho I dont really like the pick. Guess Benning kinda makes part of it up  by drafting kids like Tryamkin/demko not in the 1st round. 

haha. thanks. 

yeah. like all GM's they don't always hit the home run, and they don't always make the right choice. given the opportunity, i am certain that we'd be equally crucified for making some poor calls on certain players and prospects as well. nobody makes the right decision all the time. benning is human, much like every other GM in the league. maybe virtanen was picked too high in the spot he was picked. but that's not his fault. if jake can be a top nine forward in the league, contributing 20 goals on most seasons, I'd consider that a success with the heavy game he also brings as well. 40-45 points is good for me for a kid who most on here love to, for some odd reason, hate on. 

i'm still rooting for him, and his 2 goal performance tonight - i'm surprised - hasn't had more people on here talking about it. when he's failing, more people talk. when he's succeeding, people are quiet. that's really odd behavior. lol. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, DontMessMe said:

You can find toughness in free agent or later rounds in draft. Sure, jake can get great minutes but who said he can put up great numbers? Didnt Button say he had $&!#ty hockey IQ. 

Meh. Just dont like the fact he went 6th overall

Button is no longer GM in the league for a reason. he has his opinions, but his word isn't God. just opinions. 

You're entitled to your feelings of not liking Jake being drafted 6th overall. But, it's done and over with. Can't go back and undo that. lmao. 

Keep rootin' for the kid. 

• Upvote 1