The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I never mentioned center but also a 1C need. The draft will be very interesting. If Columbus gives us their 2nd Rounder does that give us 2? I think Van still has their 2nd.

Fans scoff at the insistence of size assuming that smaller players have more skill. Not a given. Size in CUP play should provide better durability. Bigger size should help in the West as well.  

Yes I believe we still have our own 2nd. (there is also the San Jose "1st" - which seems more like a long shot now :o)

You only have to look at Kopitar and Getzlaf to see the value of size in a skilled player.

2 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Yes I believe we still have our own 2nd. (there is also the San Jose "1st" - which seems more like a long shot now :o)

You only have to look at Kopitar and Getzlaf to see the value of size in a skilled player.

And Bo too!  Jake Virtanen has the size and skill too.  I think next season he can be a real good addition to our top nine.  We don't have anyone with his skill, size, and (natural) meanness.  Bo is bigger, but he's more like Kopitar.

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And Bo too!  Jake Virtanen has the size and skill too.  I think next season he can be a real good addition to our top nine.  We don't have anyone with his skill, size, and (natural) meanness.  Bo is bigger, but he's more like Kopitar.

Jake has it all to prove. Let's just see and hope he turns the corner. There are conflicting stories from our fans in Utica.

Personally if he had turned up in shape and responded to WD's coaching (as he appeared to be at the end of last season) instead of disrespecting him I think he would already be doing well in Vancouver. However sense and maturity are not always guaranteed with the package.

12 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I never mentioned center but also a 1C need. The draft will be very interesting. If Columbus gives us their 2nd Rounder does that give us 2? I think Van still has their 2nd.

Fans scoff at the insistence of size assuming that smaller players have more skill. Not a given. Size in CUP play should provide better durability. Bigger size should help in the West as well.  

Believe we have our 2nd, plus the possibility of the CBJ's,.  plus the possibility of a late first rnd pick from SJSharks for Hansen.

..throw in a top 3 pick and it feels like Christmas again.

;)

ps. Let's not forget that JB picked up late bloomer Zack MacEwen, the speed and agility that kid has on a 6'4 215 frame is impressive

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Believe we have our 2nd, plus the possibility of the CBJ's,.  plus the possibility of a late first rnd pick from SJSharks for Hansen.

;)

ps. Let's not forget that JB picked up late bloomer Zack MacEwen, the speed and agility that kid has on a 6'4 215 frame is impressive

Minimum we get is 2 2nd rounders. If we also get SJ's late first, it'll be a decent draft for us. And with Benning's ability to scout and pick up pretty decent prospects in the later rounds, I'm thinking we're in good shape. 

Zack MacEwen probably doesn't have top six potential, but he is most likely, IF he makes it to the big show, a solid bottom six player. Let's see how he does in Utica first, though. 

24 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Minimum we get is 2 2nd rounders. If we also get SJ's late first, it'll be a decent draft for us.

Just so we're clear, we have about 6% chance of getting a 1st from SJ without getting too mathematical about each team's chance.  

Let's not talk about possibly getting the 1st from the Sharks (not just you, but the other posters above you as well).  

Any updates on Virtanen's last game?

10 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Hopefully Jake can turn out for us. We need someone to go at Tkachuk for the next 10 years

I'm feeling confident in Jake's ability to become the player he was drafted to become and projected to be. 

I keep reiterating this, but, I really believe and feel that this off-season is really extremely critical for Jake's development and progress. 

I think he comes into training camp in excellent shape, but still at the end of it, he'll be sent down to work on his offensive game. Jake needs to be groomed as a top six, offensive player. He's a goal scorer, and he needs to use that wicked shot of his to score at the NHL level. 

I also want to see how he does with more of an offensive team in Utica. He had an extremely low shooting this season, and I think a part of that is bad luck, but his offensive game wasn't really the area to develop this season. I think that's the next step next season for Jake. And I'm curious to see if he comes back with a vengeance offensively. I think he does. 

8 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Just so we're clear, we have about 6% chance of getting a 1st from SJ without getting too mathematical about each team's chance.  

Let's not talk about possibly getting the 1st from the Sharks (not just you, but the other posters above you as well).  

Any updates on Virtanen's last game?

I'm not great at math, so I'm going to take your word for it. 6% chance is better than 0% chance. haha. But if we do get it, it's of course, a welcome addition! 

I'd be curious to hear from other posters here who have seen Jake play recently. 

1 hour ago, Outsiders said:

Hopefully Jake can turn out for us. We need someone to go at Tkachuk for the next 10 years

Man I watched that Flames vs Kings game tonight. Tkachuk is one heck of a 19 year old kid. He does not back down from anything & just keeps coming at you. Kids a handful already. 

You are right, we are going to need Jake type players in the West for sure.

10 hours ago, SilentSam said:

;)

I am still holding out hope that Benning moves a d-man(Edler or Tanev) for a prospect and draft pick as well. Hope the pick will be in '18.  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Minimum we get is 2 2nd rounders. If we also get SJ's late first, it'll be a decent draft for us. And with Benning's ability to scout and pick up pretty decent prospects in the later rounds, I'm thinking we're in good shape. 

Zack MacEwen probably doesn't have top six potential, but he is most likely, IF he makes it to the big show, a solid bottom six player. Let's see how he does in Utica first, though. 

Have you seen any of MacEwen's video Naz?

I think there is far more potential..

hope he gets with Green soon,. Always appreciate Greens comments on players.

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I am still holding out hope that Benning moves a d-man(Edler or Tanev) for a prospect and draft pick as well. Hope the pick will be in '18.  

Agree.

Vegas could use a solid D vet..

i think Edler and or Tanev need a fresh start.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Have you seen any of MacEwen's video Naz?

I think there is far more potential..

hope he gets with Green soon,. Always appreciate Greens comments on players.

to be honest, SS. i haven't. any clips of him on here? you think his potential is what? top six? middle six? 

17 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

to be honest, SS. i haven't. any clips of him on here? you think his potential is what? top six? middle six? 

For the way he skates and handles the puck with that kind of size and speed..6'4" and presently 215 @ 21yrs .. I think his potential is top six.

I have read articles where this young man is very happy to be with the Vancouver organization, by all accounts he is a "goal setter" and motivated,. Not unlike Horvats attitude.

With the right mentorship and Coaching this kid could be a killer find. 

https://youtu.be/phWpR4FuQ5A

team this kid up with Virtanen and heads are on swivels.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

Man I watched that Flames vs Kings game tonight. Tkachuk is one heck of a 19 year old kid. He does not back down from anything & just keeps coming at you. Kids a handful already. 

He sure was a handful last night for the Flames last night trying to go after Doughty instead of actually focusing on the game.

41 minutes ago, Jam126 said:

He sure was a handful last night for the Flames last night trying to go after Doughty instead of actually focusing on the game.

I was listening to Team 1040 today & it was interesting on how most thought that was one of the better games played in the NHL in a while. Tkachuk seemed to be the big reason in my eyes as well. 

Keith Tkachuk played the same way. Apparently Mathew's younger brother plays even more aggressive. It's in the blood for sure.

I really enjoyed the game like Hrudey, Ferraro & many others. Have no problem with a kid playing like that as long as he backs it up, which Mathew has. I also heard Burke & Gulutzen have asked the team to step up & actually play more like that. Playoff hockey is in the air. Going to be a fun 1st round for sure.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jam126 said:

I remember when the Canucks tried to play like that against the Kings and Sharks.

All it did was give them powerplays and burn us on the score sheet. It's good to have team toughness, but when it's at the expense of actually playing the game, it's useless.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

I was listening to Team 1040 today & it was interesting on how most thought that was one of the better games played in the NHL in a while. Tkachuk seemed to be the big reason in my eyes as well. 

Keith Tkachuk played the same way. Apparently Mathew's younger brother plays even more aggressive. It's in the blood for sure.

I really enjoyed the game like Hrudey, Ferraro & many others. Have no problem with a kid playing like that as long as he backs it up, which Mathew has. I also heard Burke & Gulutzen have asked the team to step up & actually play more like that. Playoff hockey is in the air. Going to be a fun 1st round for sure.

Yes, I get playing more aggressive and hitting. But, as we saw last night, it isn't about how tough you play, it's about how many goals you score, and Tkachuk was off his game which cost them the game. I have a feeling Virtanen and Tkachuk will be very similar players.

10 minutes ago, Jam126 said:

Yes, I get playing more aggressive and hitting. But, as we saw last night, it isn't about how tough you play, it's about how many goals you score, and Tkachuk was off his game which cost them the game. I have a feeling Virtanen and Tkachuk will be very similar players.

I think that's why we drafted Jake & didn't take Mathew.

Hope Jake is as hungry as Mathew & becomes a similar player. 

• Upvote 1