The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat next season

Canuckler87

I'd like to see Fox be the hidden gem and play with a player that has hockey sense. To score 64 goals in the OHL, you need hockey sense and Fox has it. Surround him with players that he can makes plays with and he will make the team.

I'd like to see Fox be the hidden gem and play with a player that has hockey sense. To score 64 goals in the OHL, you need hockey sense and Fox has it. Surround him with players that he can makes plays with and he will make the team.

Don't forget he was older than the players he was competing with and they were comparing him to another bunch of overaged players in the past that played in the OHL on TSN a while ago and even they put up lots of goals and didn't even crack the NHL roster. Not saying he can't do it just putting it out there.

Here's another article about what I was talking about above:

"Fox didn’t produce like that at 18 or 19, so does he have the same upside as either of those players? It’s really hard to say. We can, however, look at comparable players from the past: undrafted OHL forwards who scored 100+ points in their over-age season after producing significantly less as a 19-year-old. I started in the year 2000 (in the year 2000!)."

Shows in a chart in the link below overaged stats of players compared to him... He could be John Tavares (WOW!) or Randy Rowe..Randy Who??? (0 games in NHL)

Link: http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2014/03/13/what-are-realistic-expectations-for-dane-fox/

Just some realistic expectations.

Just looking at the roster it's real tough to see where Horvat fits in without someone else getting moved out. Even for just the nine games he would get, unless there are injuries before the start of the season, where would he slot in?

You have Vrbata, Kassian, Burrows, Hansen and Dorsett all on the right, you have Daniel and Higgins on the left, you have Henrik, Bonino, Matthias and Richardson up the middle, Sestito as the thirteenth forward, and then you have Jensen, Shinkaruk, Vey, Lain, Archibald, Gaunce and Horvat all pretty much going after one spot.

Tough to see a scenario where he outplays all those guys by so much that he's a shoo-in. Unless there's injuries or a trade he's gonna be in tough even to see his nine games. Shinkaruk probably has the best chance of anyone just because LW is his natural position and there's an opening there on the second or third line.

I'm really hoping Horvat makes the team this year. I feel like he was pretty close last fall as well. But it will definitely be tough with all the bottom 6 depth we have at the moment. So many feel Gaunce, Fox, Shinkaruk, Vey, Jensen, Horvat & Sanguinetti all could be pretty close. There just doesn't seem to be room for even one to fit in.

I'm very excited to see how it unfolds and who will outperform who. I know I'd be pretty upset if none of the young guns will make it. It's been so many years since we have had a young guy crack the roster. Schroeder never quite did and Hodgson was shipped out just as something materialized. I think I was more sad that a young talent was traded than the fact it was ma'Cody.

Just looking at the roster it's real tough to see where Horvat fits in without someone else getting moved out. Even for just the nine games he would get, unless there are injuries before the start of the season, where would he slot in?

You have Vrbata, Kassian, Burrows, Hansen and Dorsett all on the right, you have Daniel and Higgins on the left, you have Henrik, Bonino, Matthias and Richardson up the middle, Sestito as the thirteenth forward, and then you have Jensen, Shinkaruk, Vey, Lain, Archibald, Gaunce and Horvat all pretty much going after one spot.

Tough to see a scenario where he outplays all those guys by so much that he's a shoo-in. Unless there's injuries or a trade he's gonna be in tough even to see his nine games. Shinkaruk probably has the best chance of anyone just because LW is his natural position and there's an opening there on the second or third line.

Burrows is a natural left winger, I see him developing good chemistry with Bonino and Kassian. Let Shinkaruk, Fox, Gaunce, Jensen prove themselves in the AHL this season and when injuries occur, give whichever prospect is playing well a call up from the AHL. Simple.

As for Horvat, I agree with many other posts above, he will not benefit all that much from playing in junior. Since he can't play in the AHL, I'd like to see him get at least his 9 games in at the NHL level and see what the kid can do. Lets be honest, he's currently our best prospect and i think he will prove that to be true in the Canucks camp.

NHL:

D.Sedin H.Sedin Vrbata (enough said)

Burrows Bonino Kassian (All have the tangibles to compliment each others play)

Higgins Horvat Vey (Young, strong, two way play)

Matthais Richardson Dorsett (Big, tough, can play against any line. All capable of moving up if injuries occur)

Hansen Sestito

Hammuis Bieksa (both had great years playing together)

Edler Tanev (Tanev is good at home to make up for Edlers offensive minded play)

Sbisa Stanton (Strong defense, young, tough)

Weber

Miller

Lack

AHL call ups:

1. Jensen (rw/lw)

2. Gaunce (c/rw)

3. Fox (lw)

4. Shinkaruk (lw)

5. Corrado (d)

6. Saguinetti (d)

7. Tommernes (d)

If thats not depth, I don't know what is. This year we are better in literally every single category, from our management, to coaching, forward lines, defense, and goaltending.

I expect a really exciting and fun to watch season ahead! Tough competition against the western teams, but I see us making the playoffs.

Archived