The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat next season

Canuckler87

According to CapGeek, Sanguinetti is not on the NHL roster. I am sure this is correct as he was in the KHL before that and was a free agent before that. In short, he was not an NHL roster player when the Canucks obtained him. He will start the season in Utica. The Canucks therefore have one more roster spot, and it will go to a forward.

The question of who gets it depends on who plays well in camp. The main contenders are obviously Jensen and Horvat.

If Horvat looks good in camp, he will start on the team and Jensen will be in Utica. A decision will be made when he approaches the 9 game limit before a year of his contract is burned. If he is sent back then Jensen, Shinkaruk, Fox, Gaunce, Lain, and Archibald all have a shot at getting called up, depending on who looks good.

And injuries will occur, which means that one or two more of those guys will get a good look sooner or later.

From what Benning has said, he is clearly leaning toward sending Horvat back to junior. Horvat will need to outperform expectations to be on the Canucks this year (after the 9 game limit).

Makes good sense to me

Why would we want Bo to be an extra forward who doesn't even play?

For Bo, it's top 9 or nothing, and it doesn't look like he's good enough for those spots at this point.

Agreed. 3points at the WJC in 7 games. He is not ready for the NHL if he is to reach his full potential.

Agreed. 3points at the WJC in 7 games. He is not ready for the NHL if he is to reach his full potential.

If he has not stepped on to nhl ice in a meaningful game by the time he's 20, it may suggest that his full potential is a career 3rd/4th line centre/call-up ;)

If he has not stepped on to nhl ice in a meaningful game by the time he's 20, it may suggest that his full potential is a career 3rd/4th line centre/call-up ;)

A lot of successful NHL players have played one or more seasons in the AHL, Nyquist, Sharp, and Krejci are good examples. Some people on here just don't understand player development :picard:

Guest Dasein

I think he needs to go back to Junior. There are a lot of beneifits of returning back to Juniors as an overage.

His body is still growing.

Increased ice time, plenty of ice time, also plenty of development time.

I rather him go back and play 22 minutes, and lead the team, then to play 11 minutes.

I'm pretty sure Bo wouldn't be an overager when he returns to London because if he would be an overager upon returning, that means he'd be eligible to play in the AHL.. and if that's the case we would probably send him to Utica, not London.

I think this is his last year considering he's still eligible to play in the WJC and was invited to camp.

A lot of successful NHL players have played one or more seasons in the AHL, Nyquist, Sharp, and Krejci are good examples. Some people on here just don't understand player development :picard:

I believe he was being sarcastic and poking fun of the same people you are face-palming at - that's why there's a ;) at the end of his post.

LOL I think you are the one who doesn't know what the term depth means.

Depth means having guys that are available to slot into a line above them easily when injuries occurs. Depth means having guys playing positions that they are almost too good for, ie. Malkin at 2C, Richards as 3C, O'Reilly/Stastny/Mackinnon as 3C etc.

Who on this team can step into the 1C roll if Henrik goes down? Atleast we had Kesler last year...

Look at our laughable depth chart at C currently and compare it with any of the other playoff teams in the West:

Sedin

Bonino

Mathias

Richardson

Vey

Horvat

Gaunce

Its the 2C that is the issue. I have no Issue with Mathias/Richardson and potentially Vey in the 3/4. those are respectable 3/4 line C's. Second spot remains to be seen what Vey or Bonino can do. Vey apparently has potential and Bonino played C even with Perry and Getz some of the time. He cannot be horrible. Comparing them to Kesler is somewhat unfair. Kes was good at both ends but often played as a do it yourself kind a guy. In addition, he was injured often and wasn't living up to expectations.

According to CapGeek, Sanguinetti is not on the NHL roster. I am sure this is correct as he was in the KHL before that and was a free agent before that. In short, he was not an NHL roster player when the Canucks obtained him. He will start the season in Utica. The Canucks therefore have one more roster spot, and it will go to a forward.

The question of who gets it depends on who plays well in camp. The main contenders are obviously Jensen and Horvat.

If Horvat looks good in camp, he will start on the team and Jensen will be in Utica. A decision will be made when he approaches the 9 game limit before a year of his contract is burned. If he is sent back then Jensen, Shinkaruk, Fox, Gaunce, Lain, and Archibald all have a shot at getting called up, depending on who looks good.

And injuries will occur, which means that one or two more of those guys will get a good look sooner or later.

From what Benning has said, he is clearly leaning toward sending Horvat back to junior. Horvat will need to outperform expectations to be on the Canucks this year (after the 9 game limit).

Capgeek doesn't actually decide the Canucks roster. They are simply guessing Corrado will be on the roster. Corrado is still waiver exempt and could be sent to Utica without issue.

Sanguinetti is 26 and signed his first NHL contract in 2007. He became waiver eligible four years after signing his first NHL deal regardless of NHL games played. He is indeed waiver eligible. Of course it doesn't mean he won't be sent to Utica, just that he could be lost to waivers if he is. You can find waiver eligibility here: http://www.capgeek.com/waiver-calculator/

For Horvat to make the team a veteran will likely need to be moved. The only way that will happen is if Horvat outplays a veteran to steal his job. The other possibility is a veteran being injured to start the season. The odds are he'll be back in junior though.

Maybe that's because he looks the most "NHL" ready then all of our prospects with the exception of Shinkaruk, Hutton, etc..

Vey is more NHL ready than any of our prospects. He's the most proven we have in the AHL, just hasn't been given a fair chance.

I'm betting that this team will have no rookies in the lineup period.

23 roster spots already taken up by players that would all have to pass through waivers. Not going to happen this year no matter how good the kids show. More Canucks lip service about getting younger & faster this year.

Would love to be wrong.

23 roster spots already taken up by players that would all have to pass through waivers. Not going to happen this year no matter how good the kids show. More Canucks lip service about getting younger & faster this year.

Would love to be wrong.

isn't vey considered a rookie

Would love to be wrong.

I wouldn't be surprised to see guys go on waivers. Benning isn't scared of letting guys walk for no return, unlike MG who had to find a deal for everyone even if it screwed us in the end.

It's all very well to dream that all our prospects are going to make it this year.

The reality is, you can ruin a kid by bringing him in too early. JB himself was a highly touted dman scoring what - 138 points or something like that - was brought in and ruined.

We have to set these kids up for success. Bo has another year of junior, so let him finish his junior career. Shin too. Seriously. And don't even think about our picks this year. All these 4 are in the position of: Don't expect it, but if they really are ready, then slot them in.

Who should make it - Jensen and Gaunce. Those are the 2 that I am gunning for. These 2 are in the position of: Expect it. Get them in the lineup, even on the 4th line. Give them a chance, because they have been developed (maybe Gaunce could use another year, but Jensen is this year).

If it were a perfect world, we would get a new player / 2 every year who could step in and make a difference. Here is a realistic time-line based on letting them play a year in the minors after their junior career (which is actually realistic - not many players can skip a league on their way to the NHL):

2014: Jensen

2015: Gaunce

2016: Horvat and Shin

2017: Virtanen and Mccann

Maybe these players could move up one year (gaunce this year, horvat and shin next year, virt and mc the year after)... but they are not going to all play right away.

Would love to be wrong.

Vey is a rookie, and he is a very good prospect, well groomed in junior and the ahl. And all for the cost of a second round pick. I think he'll provide great ROI.

It's all very well to dream that all our prospects are going to make it this year.

The reality is, you can ruin a kid by bringing him in too early. JB himself was a highly touted dman scoring what - 138 points or something like that - was brought in and ruined.

We have to set these kids up for success. Bo has another year of junior, so let him finish his junior career. Shin too. Seriously. And don't even think about our picks this year. All these 4 are in the position of: Don't expect it, but if they really are ready, then slot them in.

Who should make it - Jensen and Gaunce. Those are the 2 that I am gunning for. These 2 are in the position of: Expect it. Get them in the lineup, even on the 4th line. Give them a chance, because they have been developed (maybe Gaunce could use another year, but Jensen is this year).

If it were a perfect world, we would get a new player / 2 every year who could step in and make a difference. Here is a realistic time-line based on letting them play a year in the minors after their junior career (which is actually realistic - not many players can skip a league on their way to the NHL):

Maybe these players could move up one year (gaunce this year, horvat and shin next year, virt and mc the year after)... but they are not going to all play right away.

Why do people keep overlooking Vey as one of our prospects, ready to make the jump. Just because we didn't draft him??

Realistic timeline IMHO...

2014 Vey, Jensen(maybe not at the start, but by the end of the season I expect him as a full time roster player)

2015 Horvat, Gaunce, shinkaruk

2016(maybe 2017)Virtanen & McCann

That's 7 rookies in the next 3 years, 4 years max. We will be a very young time and many of our vet contracts will be coming to an end.

They may not start the season on the big club, but injuries happen every season. Many of our younger players will get a taste this season. Who gets the games depends on who is injured and the role needed.

I think you might be right, I can't remember the rule for technical status as a rookie. I tend to overlook the players who have NHL experience, so they may have the guy they traded for play.

I think they have to play 26ish regular season games to be considered a non-rookie.

I think they have to play 26ish regular season games to be considered a non-rookie.

Rookie Qualifications

To be considered a rookie, a player must not have played in more than 25 NHL games in any preceding seasons, nor in six or more NHL games in each of any two preceding seasons. Any player at least 26 years of age (by September 15th of that season) is not considered a rookie.

Nhl.com

Why do people keep overlooking Vey as one of our prospects, ready to make the jump. Just because we didn't draft him??

Realistic timeline IMHO...

2014 Vey, Jensen(maybe not at the start, but by the end of the season I expect him as a full time roster player)

2015 Horvat, Gaunce, shinkaruk

2016(maybe 2017)Virtanen & McCann

That's 7 rookies in the next 3 years, 4 years max. We will be a very young time and many of our vet contracts will be coming to an end.

Vey is 23 - he isn't a prospect in the same way - ie. he has played a bunch of NHL games already. He has had 3 seasons in the AHL. He is borderline reclamation project. He couldn't crack the Kings lineup.

Now if we can develop him better than they did in LA - by giving him a chance - then great! He should already be penciled in on the 3/4th line so we can see if he can play. Hopefully he can be a steal and we are ahead! Sometimes kids just need a chance, and I'm sure we are all hoping he takes that chance and runs with it.

I'd love to see us have to trade some vets off the team the next few years to make room for the young players - but they have to show they can play well enough to be given a chance. You can't gift-wrap them a job, but nor can you expect them to be 100% ready to challenge a vet. That is what the 3rd and 4th lines are for IMHO ;)

Archived