The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat next season

Canuckler87

I would say Bo instead of our other top prospects because he seems the most NHL ready of them all. Shinkaruck had an injury filled season, he definitely needs another year of junior to get his groove. Meanwhile, it would be a shock to see Virtanen suit up for us from the start of the season. Ditto for McCann. Jensen is the only other top prospect we have besides Horvat that can come up and make a difference. Gaunce isn't ready either.

1. Horvat seems the most ready of them all? By what standard? I'd say Vey is the most ready Canucks prospect. He led the entire CHL in scoring his final year. He averaged a point per game in the AHL last season. He cracked a stacked Kings roster. Aside from Vey, I think Corrado is the next most ready prospect we have. He didn't seem out of place last season when he was called up. Also, unlike the forward prospects, Corrado only has to outplay Stanton and Weber.

2. I believe Shinkaruk is eligible to play in Utica this year because he'll turn 20 in October. I'd only send him back to junior if I believed he wasn't even ready for the AHL. Not a big vote of confidence for a 20 year old first round pick. I'm nearly positive he plays in Utica this year.

3. Jensen is more ready than Horvat. He played pretty well with the Henrik last season. But is playing with the Sedins really that accurate a measuring stick for prospect readiness? He would need to outplay Vrbata and Burrows to get back on the top line. Can't see that happening. He would need to outplay one of Bonino, Vey, Kassian, Higgins or Matthias to make the 2nd or 3rd line. Can't see that happening. He isn't really suited for 4th line play, and he would have to play more physical and defensive than Dorsett or Richardson. Hansen has a no movement clause. Jensen will probably be the first winger call-up, but he'll play most of the year in Utica.

Not a good situation for Horvat, but it's good situation for the Canucks...competition. Strangely enough I understand he turned up 10 lbs over weight for the recent camp. He'll get his 10 games I suspect then back to junior. The players he's competing with are to a man more experienced than he is. They're all players that play consistent as Pro's do. Coaches like to know what they can expect shift to shift from a player. To me when he went against one level up in the WJC he didn't show. With Juniors many build their stats on the fact the coach can get them out against weaker opposition. There's far fewer weakness in the NHL.

I hope he makes it...on merit.... chnaces are not good. Shinkaruk looks like a better bet he bring some thing sadly lacking ....scoring

Vey is 23 - he isn't a prospect in the same way - ie. he has played a bunch of NHL games already. He has had 3 seasons in the AHL. He is borderline reclamation project. He couldn't crack the Kings lineup.

Now if we can develop him better than they did in LA - by giving him a chance - then great! He should already be penciled in on the 3/4th line so we can see if he can play. Hopefully he can be a steal and we are ahead! Sometimes kids just need a chance, and I'm sure we are all hoping he takes that chance and runs with it.

He has played "a bunch" of NHL games already? And then 2 sentences later you say he couldn't crack the Kings lineup. So which team did he play these bunch of NHL games with?

Reclamation project? Vey has progressed steadily every single season wherever he's played. He has never stagnated or regressed. He led the entire CHL in scoring his final year. He won an AHL rookie of the month award. He was better than a point-a-game player in the AHL last year. He even managed to crack a Kings roster absolutely stacked with talent and depth. If you really wanted to learn anything about Vey (though it seems like you'd rather talk than learn), go read the Kings message boards. Almost everyone there thinks he's NHL ready and will be a contributor if given a chance. They are sad to see him go but happy he's finally getting a chance they all feel he deserves. That's pretty telling to me. He's got great hands too and excellent vision. I'd say he has 2nd line playmaker potential. I like him on the 3rd line RW spot this season next to Matthias and Higgins.

"Now if we can develop him better than they did in LA"

What the....what?

Why is the prevailing logic that if you take time to develop a player they must not be very good. The 18/19 year old impact players are very rare. Most players need to take their time developing and it is the best thing for them not to be put into the league too early. Detroit always takes their time developing players. The Sedins went back home and played after the draft and the core of the 2011 finals team came up in the minors together.

The way to ruin players is to rush them. Saying a player has only 3-4th line potential if they are not in the league at 20 is absolutely ridiculous.

Vey has got better as time has gone on. He got to develop his game in the minors with some pro exposure which is good for teaching him what he needs for the next step. Assuming that he wasn't able to knock Kopitar and Carter out of their positions as the top two centres on the king means he has no potential seems a little extreme. We got B. Morrison when he was the fifth centre for the Devils and he was a decent player.

People are making pointless threads. You create a thread that points out Bo Horvat. yes he is our 9th overall, we traded cory for him. but he SHOULD NOT get any special treatments. We have other prospects that are ready to step in, its not just horvat. So dont give him special treatments, dont get me wrong, he is a special player, but fans need to be patient with him. plus, were not the management so yeah.

1. Horvat seems the most ready of them all? By what standard? I'd say Vey is the most ready Canucks prospect. He led the entire CHL in scoring his final year. He averaged a point per game in the AHL last season. He cracked a stacked Kings roster. Aside from Vey, I think Corrado is the next most ready prospect we have. He didn't seem out of place last season when he was called up. Also, unlike the forward prospects, Corrado only has to outplay Stanton and Weber.

2. I believe Shinkaruk is eligible to play in Utica this year because he'll turn 20 in October. I'd only send him back to junior if I believed he wasn't even ready for the AHL. Not a big vote of confidence for a 20 year old first round pick. I'm nearly positive he plays in Utica this year.

3. Jensen is more ready than Horvat. He played pretty well with the Sedins last season. But is playing with the Sedins really that accurate a measuring stick for prospect readiness? He would need to outplay Vrbata and Burrows to get back on the top line. Can't see that happening. He would need to outplay one of Bonino, Vey, Kassian, Higgins or Matthias to make the 2nd or 3rd line. Can't see that happening. He isn't really suited for 4th line play, and he would have to play more physical and defensive than Dorsett or Richardson. Hansen has a no movement clause. Jensen will probably be the first winger call-up, but he'll play most of the year in Utica.

Point 1: completely agree with you. I think a second line with Vey in the middle (playmaker), Bonino on the left and Kassian or Burrows on the right side would be worth a long look.

Point 2: I think there might be a case for Shink to return to the dub as an overager if, and only if, his hip is not fully healed. He lost, for all intensive purposes, a full season of junior, and prior to that, he lost a full year as a midget to a leg injury. So, it MAY be in Shink's best interest to rehab vs. players his size, as opposed to men in the AHL. But it can be argued that the dub is filled with big bodied players who can do a lot of damage. But you're probably right...Shink will most likely start the season with the Comets.

Point 3: This point is arguable...Horvat has already been playing a 200' game, which is something Jensen has had to learn in the SEL and AHL. As well, Horvat is a man-child who, IMO, is physically capable of competing with men (something Jensen had to grow into). So, I think they're about equal at this time. Lastly, and don't mean to nitpick, but Jensen only had a 4-5 game stretch playing with Henrik and Burrows where he looked like he belonged in the NHL. Otherwise, he looked like he still needed some more seasoning (or "cooking", which seems to be the word of choice among GMs now) in the minors.

With Juniors many build their stats on the fact the coach can get them out against weaker opposition. There's far fewer weakness in the NHL.

I hope you're not implying that Horvat was sent out against weaker opposition in order to build up his stats. In reality, Horvat always played against the oppositions' best players. Dale Hunter used Bo to shut down the top lines in the Jrs and had complete trust in him. Bo is also one of the best f/o C's in the league as well.

If he returns to Jrs this season, he will likely move up to the first line on the knights and his offensive stats will sore.

I hope you're not implying that Horvat was sent out against weaker opposition in order to build up his stats. In reality, Horvat always played against the oppositions' best players. Dale Hunter used Bo to shut down the top lines in the Jrs and had complete trust in him. Bo is also one of the best f/o C's in the league as well.

If he returns to Jrs this season, he will likely move up to the first line on the knights and his offensive stats will sore.

yup. Bos most common linemates last year were the ruperts for sure. He didn't get the cream of the crop like domi

Gillis and Benning have collected the following who are currently "ahead" of Bo on the depth chart;

Hank

Bonino

Mathias

Richardson

Vey

Not uncommon at all for a couple of them to be on wings; teams usually have 5 pivots in the line up, 6 if u include the press box. Effectively Horvat has to noticeably outplay just one, and appear to be competent at least on the 3rd line to earn a roster spot?

Look: we have 6 first round prospects from the last 4 years in the wings. It would be disappointing if at least two of them did not "push" their way onto the line up. It would be extremely encouraging if they did, as first round talent is first round talent...

Plus Vey.

Assuming Vey sticks, the way the math works if two more make it at least one NHL seasoned guy has to be traded or put on waivers. Possibly two if we keep Corrado in the line up as well.

Mathias, Hansen?

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Shinkaruk makes the team out of camp. He seems to have that fire and determination that great players usually have.

Elvis had what is possibly a valid point. Can we get enough conditioning in within 6 weeks to make up for 6 months off?

Bearing in mind he had to put on upper body strength regardless.

He did look good at development camp though? Speed and sharpness, instincts and execution...

Lets hope anyway!

Elvis had what is possibly a valid point. Can we get enough conditioning in within 6 weeks to make up for 6 months off?

Bearing in mind he had to put on upper body strength regardless.

He did look good at development camp though? Speed and sharpness, instincts and execution...

Lets hope anyway!

In the drills, shink looked like the only one tht had any desire. The prospects tourney will be real interesting to see. If he doesn't make it from the start, I wouldn't be surprised if he's on the team by the end of the year.

Look: we have 6 first round prospects from the last 4 years in the wings. It would be disappointing if at least two of them did not "push" their way onto the line up. It would be extremely encouraging if they did, as first round talent is first round talent...

Plus Vey.

Assuming Vey sticks, the way the math works if two more make it at least one NHL seasoned guy has to be traded or put on waivers. Possibly two if we keep Corrado in the line up as well.

Mathias, Hansen?

I think you're setting your bar a little high. I'll be absolutely shocked if we start the season with three rookie forwards on the roster barring a veteran being injured. Vey is a lock for a spot. I'll be impressed if just one other rookie manages to steal a forward spot.

In the drills, shink looked like the only one tht had any desire. The prospects tourney will be real interesting to see. If he doesn't make it from the start, I wouldn't be surprised if he's on the team by the end of the year.

The grind of a nhl season is a whole other animal to what he's used to. If his readiness was judged by his will, he'd be a shoe in, but it's not. Spending the year in the AHL will be great for Hunter and he'll most likely get a callup at some point. I know people are excited about our prospects, me included, but we can't rush them.

Plus Vey.

Mathias, Hansen?

Honestly I don't think any of those 6 make it into the NHL to start, other than maybe Horvat getting a 9game stint, unless he really really impresses.

What is happening is proper development. Jensen last year took a while to grasp the North American game, had a good stint with Sedins then looked average. Think he will be first call up likely but in the AHL getting quality time and gaining chemistry with other prospects, Shink, Gaunce, Fox etc.

Year afterwords I think u will see a better chance more guys come in to start the season.

Vey and maybe Corrado will be rookies that will could start with the team. Vey for sure.

Archived