The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat next season

Canuckler87

Guest Dasein

Bo is definitely good enough to earn one of the 2 extra fwd spots... why would you wanna keep Sanguinetti as the #8 d-man? Bo can play both and wing and can platoon with Vey

Why would we want Bo to be an extra forward who doesn't even play?

For Bo, it's top 9 or nothing, and it doesn't look like he's good enough for those spots at this point.

well... somebody gotta take the bench spot whether it be Sestito or someone else right? you really expect Bo or Vey or Matthias to play all 82 games a year just because? that's why I used the word, platoon depending on who fits better in the game situation.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Shinkaruk makes the team out of camp. He seems to have that fire and determination that great players usually have.

I agree. In fact I would like to see Bo with a bit more attitude. I would hate to think he was another JS where he didn't seem to be able to fire himself up enough (but I don't think he is)

I'm surprised more people are not predicting Gaunce to get a 9 game shot, at least. I think his hockey sense will mark him out as someone to watch.

Do you know what waiver eligible means? Or how about the term depth?

Bonino outproduced Kesler last year while splitting his time between the 2nd and 3rd line while Kesler split his time between our 1st and 2nd lines. I think you're selling him short. Or maybe you just have an unrealistic view of a second line player.

Vey wouldn't clear waivers to go to Utica. It's why LA was trading him. With no spot on the team for him they were faced with losing him for nothing. The same reason we moved Grabner. Vey is guaranteed a spot on the team. We didn't trade a 2nd round pick to put him through waivers and lose him for nothing.

Depth doesn't stop with the Canucks roster. Having Shinkaruk and Jensen in Utica gives us quality depth when injuries occur. Patience grasshopper. There's nothing wrong with developing your prospects so they're fully ready to play against men in the big league. Jensen has the best chance of making the team. All he has to do is outperform a veteran to steal his spot. And that's the way it should be.

LOL I think you are the one who doesn't know what the term depth means.

Depth means having guys that are available to slot into a line above them easily when injuries occurs. Depth means having guys playing positions that they are almost too good for, ie. Malkin at 2C, Richards as 3C, O'Reilly/Stastny/Mackinnon as 3C etc.

Who on this team can step into the 1C roll if Henrik goes down? Atleast we had Kesler last year...

Look at our laughable depth chart at C currently and compare it with any of the other playoff teams in the West:

Sedin

Bonino

Mathias

Richardson

Vey

Horvat

Gaunce

Unless he really steps it up, I hope Horvat does go back to junior this coming year. His offensive numbers certainly improved last year, but still don't scream 2C in the NHL just yet. We have others who can do shut-down duty on the big club this year. Gaunce looks as ready as Horvat at the moment, but is AHL eligible so I'd rather have him as a call-up depth option than Horvat as an underutilized bottom 6 and pressbox player on the Canucks. Horvat needs to be in a situation where he can cut loose offensively if he is to reach his full potential. That is what we should be aiming for with him.

LOL I think you are the one who doesn't know what the term depth means.

Depth means having guys that are available to slot into a line above them easily when injuries occurs. Depth means having guys playing positions that they are almost too good for, ie. Malkin at 2C, Richards as 3C, O'Reilly/Stastny/Mackinnon as 3C etc.

Who on this team can step into the 1C roll if Henrik goes down? Atleast we had Kesler last year...

Look at our laughable depth chart at C currently and compare it with any of the other playoff teams in the West:

Sedin

Bonino

Mathias

Richardson

Vey

Horvat

Gaunce

A nice luxury to have a Malkin on the second. Just as it's a nice luxury to have quality call ups on the farm. It's better to have those quality prospects earn their way onto the roster than start turfing veterans just to pacify fans prospect woodies.

I have no problem with our current depth. Bonino outproduced Kesler last season. Vey is a rookie (be excited). Richardson is great on face-offs and Mattias can fill any position in the bottom six. Horvat will likely go back to junior. Gaunce will likely be depth from the farm as will Shinkaruk and Jensen. It's up to the prospects to EARN their spot on the team. Until they do, they are ADDED DEPTH as call ups as opposed to the PLUGS we had to call up in previous years.

If you're expecting a cup this year you'll likely be disappointed. If you think adding every prospect to the team will win us the cup this year you'll still be disappointed. So it's better to let the prospects develop and earn their spots. I'll say it again: Depth doesn't stop with the Canucks roster.

I agree. In fact I would like to see Bo with a bit more attitude. I would hate to think he was another JS where he didn't seem to be able to fire himself up enough (but I don't think he is)

I'm surprised more people are not predicting Gaunce to get a 9 game shot, at least. I think his hockey sense will mark him out as someone to watch.

Gaunce is waiver exempt and eligible to go to Utica. The nine games allowed before burning a year of an entry level contract only applies to 18 and 19 year old players.

I don't know why everyone has Bonino penned in as the 2C, if Horvat outplays him, there is no reason he (Bonino) couldn't be flipped to say a Toronto or a Nashville for a 2nd round pick++. We have so much C depth coming down the pipe, I'd be really surprised if he lasts more than a season or two here. Same with Sbisa.

One of the best things about the Kesler trade is the players we acquired don't have NTCs and the free agents we acquired have limited NTCs. There is much more roster flexibility. I want to believe JB when he says roster spots will be earned. I never trusted AV or MG when they said it.

I want to believe JB when he says roster spots will be earned. I never trusted AV or MG when they said it.

Yea I agree completely. JB has no ties to these guys. I could see Bonino being flipped aswell.

I'm really hoping Horvat can contend for the 2C spot, but his OHL stats just aren't impressive enough. I could see Horvat needing another year in Junior, plus another 1.5 or 2 years in the AHL before being ready for an offensive role in the NHL.

However, I think Gaunce can step in nicely as a 3C or 4C after a year in the AHL.

I'm REALLY excited for the Canucks rookie camp and games this year though!

Guest Dasein

I don't know why everyone has Bonino penned in as the 2C, if Horvat outplays him, there is no reason he (Bonino) couldn't be flipped to say a Toronto or a Nashville for a 2nd round pick++. We have so much C depth coming down the pipe, I'd be really surprised if he lasts more than a season or two here. Same with Sbisa.

One of the best things about the Kesler trade is the players we acquired don't have NTCs and the free agents we acquired have limited NTCs. There is much more roster flexibility. I want to believe JB when he says roster spots will be earned. I never trusted AV or MG when they said it.

Because he won't.

If Bo can outperform Richardson and take the 3C spot, I'd be exuberant, but Bo will likely be going back for another year on the OHL. There is literally no chance Bo outperforms Bonino this upcoming camp.

Be realistic.

While we're at it, does anyone know what the ceiling for Dane Fox is at the NHL level? He had a huge jump in production in the OHL and was the overage player of the year. He was almost A GOAL A GAME OVER A FULL SEASON!! Could it be possible for him to bring over that goal scoring ability to the Canucks one day? Possibly even play on our top two lines in a couple seasons ?

Guest Dasein

well... somebody gotta take the bench spot whether it be Sestito or someone else right? you really expect Bo or Vey or Matthias to play all 82 games a year just because? that's why I used the word, platoon depending on who fits better in the game situation.

Ya actually if Bo is to be here he's here to play games, not to take a bench spot.

He would be sent down to develop in the OHL. No platooning for Bo.

I see it as similar to what happened with Scheiffele, but i've heard rumours that Horvat or Domi will be traded if they return, for a quick rebuild. So, I wouldn't be shocked if he ends up with McDavid. I hope not. We do need to create a roster spot, though. If Burrows won't waive, i'd put him on waivers..

Who are you going to put through waivers to give him his audition?

Sedin/Sedin/Vrbata

Higgins/Bonino/Kassian

Burrows/Vey/Hansen

Mattias/Richardson/Dorsett

Sestito

Edler/Tanev

Hamhuis/Bieksa

Stanton/Sbisa

Weber/Sanguinetti

Miller/Lack

That's a full 23 man roster with nobody that's waiver exempt. Barring injury to any of the above nobody will "get a look" this year. Other than a preseason inury, the only way Horvat is on the team is to play head and shoulders better to steal a spot and force Benning to move somebody.

The odds are Horvat is back to junior for the year. It's not a waste of a year, it's another year of honing skills, and an extra year of physical and mental maturity. That's not a bad thing. You all may have to settle for Vey to satisfy your prospect woodies this year along with Jensen and Shinkaruk as call ups.

According to CapGeek, Sanguinetti is not on the NHL roster. I am sure this is correct as he was in the KHL before that and was a free agent before that. In short, he was not an NHL roster player when the Canucks obtained him. He will start the season in Utica. The Canucks therefore have one more roster spot, and it will go to a forward.

The question of who gets it depends on who plays well in camp. The main contenders are obviously Jensen and Horvat.

If Horvat looks good in camp, he will start on the team and Jensen will be in Utica. A decision will be made when he approaches the 9 game limit before a year of his contract is burned. If he is sent back then Jensen, Shinkaruk, Fox, Gaunce, Lain, and Archibald all have a shot at getting called up, depending on who looks good.

And injuries will occur, which means that one or two more of those guys will get a good look sooner or later.

From what Benning has said, he is clearly leaning toward sending Horvat back to junior. Horvat will need to outperform expectations to be on the Canucks this year (after the 9 game limit).

I'm not holding my breath about Bo or any other Canucks prospect, outside of Jensen getting a crack at the lineup.

I say that because the philosophy is to roll 4 lines. Line 1 Line 2 Line 3a and line 3b. The current line up as it stands is quite reasonable. I think the kids are going to get a good look and if any of the veterans struggle in the first half of the season they will be moved. Players such as: Burrows, Higgins, Hansen are the likely targets to move up front. I suppose Kassian is a potential move but not sure where the leadership group is with him. Low cost contract however.

Cannot move the Sedins. Will not move new acquisitions. I think the Vey, Richardson, Matthias are those meat and potato guys they talk about. They are obviously high on Vey. Matthias is versatile and can play C and W. Richardson has that grit element and winning experience.

I think Coach WD can get something out of Burrows and he will have a bounce back season. Up tempo offence should help the team. ….ok I'm rambling now.

Thoughts?

No hes not.

Archived