The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The joke that's become the Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers

aqua59

Can't say I care how the Oilers do at all, but unfortunately they do hold a large portion of Team Canada's future in their uncaring hands. The Oilers are embarrassing themselves and undermining these kids futures. Something that the NHL should look into and maybe change is the system so teams can't tank. Why on earth should a bottom/tanking team get the best chance at the number one pick? It certainly isn't the best thing for the players as Edmonton has successfully (?) shown.

The Sharks are sure looking more like the Sharts lately.

Lost twice against Buffalo, and now beaten by a team on an 11-game losing streak, who hadn't beaten a single Western team all season.

I just can't figure out the thinking of the Sharts ownership and management. They have a losing group that can never do anything in the playoffs yet year after year they keep their core together and intact while keeping the coach after last year's debacle. All they did was take the C from Dumbo Joe and give him a more alphabetical letter and hope that'll move the team in a more positive direction?? Man o man this thread title should be changed by inserting the San Jose Sharts instead of the Flames.

So basically what we've had with Tanev and Lack?... Or if that's not good enough for you, (because they were not drafted), we have Cassels who has been lighting it up

Brodie, as much as I like both our guys, would fetch more in trade than Tanev and Lack put together at this stage.

Top pairing D man with puck skills. And breaking out at an all star level at just 24 years of age. 22 points in 29 games on D and now recently signed for $4.6 long term.

To answer your question; yes its very positive to have low acquisition cost guys contribute. But it has been a while, a very long while, since we drafted and developed a guy as good as Brodie! We need much more regular injections of good youth such as Tanev & Lack, plus some to bust, not squeak in to top 6 / top 4. Monahan, Brodie and Gaudreau are all looking potential all stars, and Bennett is next.

Edit: No I have not forgotten, nor given up any credit that guys amongst Horvat, Corrado, Tryamkin, Demko, Shinkaruk etc. will become regulars. Perhaps a star amongst?

Flames are in tuff now. Only one point out of a playoff spot, lost their last 3 including last night’s loss to Buffalo and there upcoming schedule does not favor them.

@ PIT

@ CHI

NYR

DAL

@ VAN

@ LA

I think they'll be allright, some other teams have lost 3 straight too and sit only 3 points above the playoff line, so Im sure there is still hope.

I don't, I see them going under .500 for the rest of the month. (9 games). The hot streaks they had at the start of the season are starting to run out. It was expected, there was no way some of those players were going to be able to maintain that high of production, Brodie Granlund, Jooris, and Hiller, the teams shoot % was definitely unmaintainable. Working hard and some lucky 3 period bounces can only get you so far. The rest of the month will be a huge test and they will need to beat some good teams. 7 of the 9 match ups they play are going to be hard games against good teams. The two gimme games against the oil aren’t going to be easy either, oil could be last place but as long as they beat the flames it’s a success. It’s also not the best schedule, they play 9 games to finished the month off while a team like canucks only play 6. Not much of a holiday rest.

If Flames go under .500 they will find themselves on the outside of the playoff race. It’s definitely a big measuring stick this month to see if the flames are for real or just a team that got drawn for the inside barrel (stampede reference).

On another note, as much as I thought Feaster was a bit of an idiot, looking back at his short tenure, alot of his draft picks and aquisitions are looking quite solid. I wonder if Calgary was a bit to Truculent in letting him go?

Yeah ROR would be looking good in a flames jersey right now...Just imagine if that went through, no ROR, no Monahan. I'd say the only really positive he did was hire hartley. He's the one who deserves credit for getting more out of his players than they actually are

Flames are in tuff now. Only one point out of a playoff spot, lost their last 3 including last night’s loss to Buffalo and there upcoming schedule does not favor them.

@ PIT

@ CHI

NYR

DAL

@ VAN

@ LA

We're pretty damn close ourselves after losing 3 in a row too.. and

NYR

DAL (blew us out)

CGY

ARI (blew us out)

@ANA (always tough)

@SJS (still a challenge - badly outplayed but Miller stole the W)

LAK (blew us out - can never seem to beat them)

DET (also schooled us)

Archived