The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The joke that's become the Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers

aqua59

This is why I can't stand the Edmonton Oilers - the type of mentality there is an embarrassment to professional sports - this from the Edmonton Sun - I refuse to post a link - but this would appear to be popular opinion in Edmonton -

"The Edmonton Oilers went into the NHL All-Star break on a modest 5-4-2 run under head coach Todd Nelson.

If the team continues that pace coming out of the break, the Oilers will play themselves out of the Connor McDavid-Jack Eichel sweepstakes.

To assure themselves one of the two franchise players, the Oilers need to finish 30th in the league standings for the third time in the last six years. They’ve already chosen first overall three times in that span, prompting the league to change the draft lottery rules.

Yet, even though the Oilers are playing better under Nelson than with Dallas Eakins at the helm, there is hope for fans who want them to challenge for the first-overall pick again. The Oilers are expected to start selling off assets...."

This is why I can't stand the Edmonton Oilers - the type of mentality there is an embarrassment to professional sports - this from the Edmonton Sun - I refuse to post a link - but this would appear to be popular opinion in Edmonton -

"The Edmonton Oilers went into the NHL All-Star break on a modest 5-4-2 run under head coach Todd Nelson.

If the team continues that pace coming out of the break, the Oilers will play themselves out of the Connor McDavid-Jack Eichel sweepstakes.

To assure themselves one of the two franchise players, the Oilers need to finish 30th in the league standings for the third time in the last six years. They’ve already chosen first overall three times in that span, prompting the league to change the draft lottery rules.

Yet, even though the Oilers are playing better under Nelson than with Dallas Eakins at the helm, there is hope for fans who want them to challenge for the first-overall pick again. The Oilers are expected to start selling off assets...."

They might as well try and win the race to last place this year, it's beyond over for them now and one of those top 2 picks should really help them later on. However, this coming offseason and into next year they really should try to get their sh*t together. Lowe needs to be dismissed as soon as possible and then maybe the healing can begin.

• 1 month later...

THE BOYS AND THE HUDS

Earlier today, the NHL announced Johnny Gaudreau has been named the league's Rookie of the Month for March and Jiri Hudler is the Second Star of the Month for March.

The pair combined for 42 points last month and are the Flames' leading scorers, with Hudler tallying 71 points through 74 games and Gaudreau collecting 60 points in 76 games.

The pair and their pivot, Sean Monahan, have shouldered a lot of responsibility throughout the course of the season and show no signs of slowing down as the regular season winds down.

"Those guys are playing the game the right way and that's why I don't hesitate one second to play them a lot," Hartley said. "Right now, the schedule is kind of working in our favour. There's no more two games in two nights, travel is good. Expect to see a lot of them."

Monahan has loved centering the two wingers this season and has felt their game has progressed as the year as rolled along.

"It's fun. Hockey is always fun but it's even better when you're doing well and winning hockey games," Monahan said. "It's fun to play with Johnny and Huds out there. We're making plays and we're enjoying it."

QUOTABLE

"They're special on the ice. They make plays, they want the puck, and right now, we're confident as a line." - Sean Monahan on playing alongside Johnny Gaudreau and Jiri Hudler

More at :http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=761018

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like only one Alberta team is a joke. Calgary is a miracle Cinderella story.

Especially with Gio out since the deadline.

If the NHL had an "Unsung Hero" award, my vote would go to Kris Russell. A new NHL record for blocked shots, (the next closest Flame had 100 less blocks) but missed only 2 games all season....

34 points, +18, 24 minutes a game and only 17 PIM all year.

That's the kind of defense that wins you games.

It's mind boggling that a team has only made it past round 1 only once since 1989', and that was in 2004, atleast the Canucks are consistently competitive and have something to play for #Calgary

Hmmmmm, interesting... The whole thread is like a pile of bad karma going into the playoffs...

Hmmmmm, interesting... The whole thread is like a pile of bad karma going into the playoffs...

Edmonton is bad karma, they it coming.I've enjoyed it to it's fullest. Perfect first round match up, More reason to loathe Calgary.

Only joke now is Edmonton, which unfortunately will get another high draft pick and do nothing good with them.

Calgary MIGHT get past 1st round, this is going to be one hell of a rival matchup against Vancouver.

I won't call other teams a joke because just when we do, BAM, they can turn things around.

But Calgary IS a joke with Bob Hartless at the helm. Guy creeps me out...wish Torts had got in there that day. Beyond that, I'm kind of glad their team picked it up and we can renew an old rivalry just like the good old days.

Archived