The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Bruins sign Bartkowski

We have 1.4 mil cap space now. One of our Swedish netminders will be gone prior to the start of the season - probably Markstrom - so that's another 1.2. Corrado will start in Utica, so that's 600K

So in total, we have 3.2 to play with. Eriksson make 4.25, so if we sent Higgins back in the deal (quality 3rd liner to fill his space), that leaves us with 1.45 in wiggle-room.

In fact, Boston lost Chad Johnson to free agency, and their 3rd stringer Svedberg didn't look very good in the AHL last year. They could use a quality back-up. Matthias and Markstrom for Eriksson would be pretty fair value (considering Loui's poor year, and Boston dealing from a position of weakness. That would allow Boston to shed 1.3 of cap while at the same time filling a roster spot and addressing an organizational weakness (goaltending depth). It also wouldn't require us to make another NTC waived, and leaves us 1.9 of cap room.

fair value. Are you kidding?

Matthias and Markstrom for Eriksson? That's ridiculous.

So many other teams would offer better then that. Other teams have cap room as well.

Not even close to fair value. Are you kidding?

Matthias and Markstrom for Eriksson? That's ridiculous.

So many other teams would offer better then that. Other teams have cap room as well.

It's been 6 years since Eriksson cracked 30 goals, and his goal-scoring pace has dropped each season. Last season he had two concussions, missing 20 games, and ending up with a whopping 10 goals.

For those he did play, he was barely over a half point per game. In the playoffs, he was even less effective, getting just 5 points in 12 games.

His value is far lower now then it has ever been - even more so than when the Seguin trade was made. Add in the fact that Boston is in a major jam cap-wise, and yeah... I'm not expecting them to get much better than that.

@d-money

LE is a very good winger with an off year this year. He is still relatively young, quick and has very good hands. It's funny how 1 poor season and scraps will land him in your opinion yet most on here claim Edler's value is worth a 1st and a good prospect, homerism?

Edler had 2 straight bad seasons now and was absolutely atrocious this past season.

Just saying..

Found this

Boston Cap Penalty eliminates Savard's LTIR

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/bruins-looking-475-million-cap-penalty

The salary cap numbers are finally beginning to filter in for the Boston Bruins for next season, and they are not very good at all. The excellent, accurate web site www.capgeek.com has the Bruins pegged for a $4.75 bonus overage penalty for the 2014-15 season, and that essentially means it’s dead money that Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli can’t utilize for this upcoming season’s team.

A group of B’s players contributed to the overage penalty by reaching contractual bonuses last season, according to cap geek. Jarome Iginla accounted for $3.75 million when he hit a huge bonus for 10 games played last season, Torey Krug hit $850,000 in bonuses in a standout rookie season, Dougie Hamilton accounted for 212, 500 in bonuses in the second year of his entry level contract and even Ryan Spooner landed $21, 250 in bonus money.

The Bruins do have slightly more than $4 million in cap space coming to them when they place Marc Savard on long term injured reserve at the start of the season, but the $4.75 million penalty effectively cancels that out.

Hey Mackcanuck...correct if I'm wrong (I'm wrong more often than I'm right), but I believe the Bruins cap hit includes the $4.78M bonus penalty.

As a recap of Bruins' situation (http://capgeek.com/bruins/):

10 forwards signed (including Marc Savard) at: $37,435,476

7 defencemen signed at: $18,794,167

2 goalies signed at: $7,600,000

Bonus Penalty at: $4,779,500

Total Cap Hit: $68,609,143

Cap Space: $390,857

If you were to remove Savard (LTIR) cap space is back up to $4,418,000 to sign Krug, Smith, Fraser, which IMO is doable...plus with the signing of Krug, Bruins will have to demote or move one of their d-men, not because of cap issue, but because of 8 guys on depth chart, giving the Bruins even more cap space.

Am I missing something here, or is Haggerty off with his assessment? I would say, they would have been pressed hard if they signed Iginla, but that's passed, so as it is now, I don't think the Bruins are hooped as say, the Hawks.

They will probably move Boychuk and/or McQuaid.

Both are upcoming UFA's and will command a lot more then they have now considering their contributions to the Bruins success.

Also they have 8 NHL defenseman since rookies and young defenders stepped up big due to Seidenberg and McQuaid being out all season

Hey Mackcanuck...correct if I'm wrong (I'm wrong more often than I'm right), but I believe the Bruins cap hit includes the $4.78M bonus penalty.

As a recap of Bruins' situation (http://capgeek.com/bruins/):

10 forwards signed (including Marc Savard) at: $37,435,476

7 defencemen signed at: $18,794,167

2 goalies signed at: $7,600,000

Bonus Penalty at: $4,779,500

Total Cap Hit: $68,609,143

Cap Space: $390,857

If you were to remove Savard (LTIR) cap space is back up to $4,418,000 to sign Krug, Smith, Fraser, which IMO is doable...plus with the signing of Krug, Bruins will have to demote or move one of their d-men, not because of cap issue, but because of 8 guys on depth chart, giving the Bruins even more cap space.

Am I missing something here, or is Haggerty off with his assessment? I would say, they would have been pressed hard if they signed Iginla, but that's passed, so as it is now, I don't think the Bruins are hooped as say, the Hawks.

This was from Haggerty 4 weeks ago

The Bruins do have slightly more than $4 million in cap space coming to them when they place Marc Savard on long term injured reserve at the start of the season, but the $4.75 million penalty effectively cancels that out.

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/bruins-looking-475-million-cap-penalty

Haggerty posted this yesterday

"With Bartkowski signed to his one year deal, the Bruins now have roughly $4.6 million in cap space –including the $4 million plus LTI exception for Marc Savard -- to sign restricted free agents Reilly Smith and Torey Krug along with another three forward spots on the NHL roster. Chiarelli said the restricted free agent signings, any potential trades and other roster moves will come with time prior to the start of training camp in September"

http://www.csnne.com...-year-125m-deal

Your guess is as good as mine, but I would believe his most recent article

Is Haggerty, Botchford V2.0?

Both are upcoming UFA's and will command a lot more then they have now considering their contributions to the Bruins success.

Also they have 8 NHL defenseman since rookies and young defenders stepped up big due to Seidenberg and McQuaid being out all season

Either one of Boychuk/McQuaid and Kelly is my guess. They have Soderberg and Campbell to fill the bottom 6 centre position

@d-money

LE is a very good winger with an off year this year. He is still relatively young, quick and has very good hands. It's funny how 1 poor season and scraps will land him in your opinion yet most on here claim Edler's value is worth a 1st and a good prospect, homerism?

Edler had 2 straight bad seasons now and was absolutely atrocious this past season.

Just saying..

Don`t get me wrong - I like Eriksson. However, when you are the team that needs to shed cap, and you`re in a jam, you aren`t getting market value. Just like Garrison should be worth more than a 2nd rounder, and Luongo with retained cap should have been worth more than Matthias and Markstrom also.

My guess is Boychuk and Kelly. Offload them for prospects or picks and they lose at least 4-5 million more in cap space. McQuaid is like Boychuk but Boychuk has far more offensive potential and throws his body more often than McQuaid.

Archived