The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

You opinion on percentage on Nucks making playoffs?

kill_the_avs2

Looking at the Western Conference, teams that are better than us (imo), Anaheim, Colorado, St.Louis, San Jose, Chicago, LA, Minnesota, Dallas, Nashville (with a healthy Rinne), Edmonton (don't actually think they are better but they've made good additions in the offseason so who knows).

teams we are equal with, Winnipeg, Phoenix.

teams we are better than, Calgary, Edmonton (maybe).

I hope we do make the playoffs but if we don't, a high pick in the 1-7 area would be sweet; could get us a future franchise player.

I see us as better than Phoenix, we just took their highest scoring forward from last season. (Tied with Boedker at 51 points)

I'd say 50% there are just too many unknowns until we see how this new team performs on the ice. One thing that we will have this year that we didn't have as much of last year is depth from the farm team. Last year when players got injured, we were forced to call up 4th line players. This year when we make call ups, they should be able to slot into top 9 spots. With the exception of Jensen who came in late last year, we didn't have that option.

Can't wait to bump this thread in april. Some people are going to look mighty stupid.

So many question marks surrounding almost every team. It can either go really good, or really bad for those teams.

Canucks will finished 2nd in their division.

As long as

Miller can keep a 2.00 GAA, 93ish save %, you're probably right...this team cannot score and aging Sedins is not the answer ;)

It's pretty tough to say at this point. On paper I want to say Colorado, St Louis, Chicago, LA, SJ, Anaheim and Dallas will make it. That leaves one extra spot for Van, Arizona, Minnesota or Nashville (I don't see Calgary, Edmonton or Winnipeg making it).

However, this suggests that the top 7 from last season will be the same top 7 next season. I don't think that that is a realistic assumption. The only thing I think we can count on is that there WILL be surprises. (ie Colorado last season).

With the west being so tough, one (or more) of these 7 teams will hit a rough patch and not be able to recover. My bet would be SJ. As well, Dallas and Colorado both improved greatly over the previous season. There will be steps backwards.

Now that I've muddied the waters, I'd say Vancouver has 40% chance to make the playoffs. They will need to improve greatly over last season, and at least 1 of last years playoff teams will have to fall out.

Archived