The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2014-2015 Canucks Broadcast Media Thread

cleowin

Skycam being introduced at Rogers Arena.

Beginning tonight vs. Anaheim, we are partnering with Rogers to test an innovative Skycam that will give Canucks fans a unique, new look at the game through new camera angles. The Skycam is similar to what youve likely seen at events like NFL games, the Olympics and World Cups. It will fly over the same side of the building as the Club Section (penalty box side), providing a unique birds-eye view of plays as they unfold. The video and live feed can be used in-game and during the broadcast, giving fans new perspective of the on-ice action.

Well be working closely with Rogers on this trial and will be reviewing results on a game-by-game basis. If youre not attending an upcoming game, please pass this information along to your guests so they are aware of this new in-arena feature.

As always, if you require any assistance or have questions about your membership, please contact your account representative at 604.899.GOAL (4625) and they will be happy to help.

Thank you,

Skycam being introduced at Rogers Arena.

Not a fan

I like the new vantage point but not during the game. You miss the details, the stick work, the skating. Its great as a replay tool. To see the play develop like that birdseye. But its disruptive IMO during the broadcast to follow along. I hope this is just a test balloon and they aren't planning to actually include this in the play by play.

I've given him a few games, but I am not enjoying Jon Abbott and his play-by-play work on the radio.

Problems:

- His cadence. Lots of pregnant and awkward pauses.

- His tone. He does the stereotypical radio guy thing of raising and lowering his voice and it sounds forced.

- Lack of description. There seems to be gaps in the picture being described. Maybe he is better suited to television.

- Mistakes. Gets players/names confused.

Please, TSN1040, do not bring this guy back next year.

A friend likes to listen on the radio sometimes while watching the game. I've noticed that Abbott sounds like he's trying to force out a turd every time we get a chance. False excitement. Definitely not a Canuck fan. Probably why they hired him.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm beyond sick of this new rogers take over. At first I was happy because rogers gave me center ice for free this year but FFS every damn Sportsnet channel is all Leafs all the time.

Sunday hometown hockey makes me vomit the most. They talk about the Leafs during the canucks intermissions even... WTF

I used to go on Sportsnet and Donny and g valk would talk nux pre game, post game, on connected etc... NOW IT'S JUST KIPPER TALKING LEAFS.

THIS IS BS. Aquaman you have enough viewership to start canucks TV.

I'd be willing to pay $5-20 a month and just cancel my sports package with telus.

I don't care that the Leafs suck or if they don't suck... I just want regional coverage. &^@# rogers.

Edit: I just wish there was a way we could send a message and get these disgusting Leafs off my TV. Honestly I don't mind their team... Until they shoved it down my throat this year. I DON'T CARE ABOUT TORONTO

• 2 weeks later...

After evaluating rogers this season, i think some things needs to change.

Wed: National Crews only, with all Canadian teams getting a national slot if they play wed.

Sat: max 4 broadcasts of Canadian teams. Any others should be in the AM slot as a regional broadcast. This prevents regionals from broadcasting nationally.

Sun: national crew only.

Also, if any game is broadcast nationally and is an All canadian match-up, national crew should be utilized.

After evaluating rogers this season, i think some things needs to change.

Wed: National Crews only, with all Canadian teams getting a national slot if they play wed.

Sat: max 4 broadcasts of Canadian teams. Any others should be in the AM slot as a regional broadcast. This prevents regionals from broadcasting nationally.

Sun: national crew only.

Also, if any game is broadcast nationally and is an All canadian match-up, national crew should be utilized.

First of all, I do agree with national commentators on the three main national game nights, but, it does not have to be strictly followed. The other four nights can have regional commentators for a national game. I disagree with limiting the amount of telecasts for canadian teams on Saturdays. The multiple game selection at 1600h and 1900h Pacific is excellent especially when five to seven games involving canadian teams are scheduled. All canadian games on Saturdays, regardless of when they are scheduled for, should be televised nationally. Games that are in the Pacific and Mountain time zones cannot be in the morning.

• 1 month later...

Power Fist's PhotoPower Fist

3 minutes ago

Crazyp01, on 06 Apr 2015 - 11:34 AM, said:

My parents moved to Vancouver in the late 90's. I was born profoundly deaf and now have two cochlear implants. In 2006, a kid in my class threw a snowball in my head causing the implants inside my head to be infected. I had to have a surgery in BC Children's Hospital. My parents didn't really know much about hockey, and didn't know about the Canucks until... now... When I stayed at BC Children's Hospital in Vancouver, we got a visit from the Vancouver Canucks. You may know that the Canucks visit the Children's Hospital near Christmas every year. Trevor Linden, Matthias Ohlund, and Willie Mitchell came into the room with a big fat whale, Fin. I was really sick and tired after several surgeries on my head, taking off bandages, I didn't really care much about what was going on. They signed some stuff for me. My mother told me once that Trevor Linden had the "confused" look on his face, wondering why I wasn't excited or such. I didn't get to take ANY pictures. The Vancouver Canucks came to visit me and I seriously didn't know it was the amazing hockey franchise based in my hometown??? In the next few years in 2008, 2010, my cochlear implants have had problems and throughout my life, I've had 8-10 surgeries. It was painful, and horrible. I now know who the Vancouver Canucks are and whenever I'm feeling down because I'm deaf and gone through so much, I think about how the Vancouver Canucks devote their time, energies to making kids' lives brighten up in Children's Hospital. I wish that I can somehow meet the EPIC president of the Canucks again, Trevor Linden. He came to meet me and was confused why I wasn't happy. Mr. Linden, if you come meet me again it will BE THE BEST DAY of my life. :( You were a meter away from me. Come closer and I'll hug you and take a picture with you!!! <3 And that's why I'm a Canuck.

Can we please see the Canucks reach out to Linden and make this happen. It would make my day!!! Not to mention this Kids life!

Power Fist's PhotoPower Fist

3 minutes ago

Crazyp01, on 06 Apr 2015 - 11:34 AM, said:

My parents moved to Vancouver in the late 90's. I was born profoundly deaf and now have two cochlear implants. In 2006, a kid in my class threw a snowball in my head causing the implants inside my head to be infected. I had to have a surgery in BC Children's Hospital. My parents didn't really know much about hockey, and didn't know about the Canucks until... now... When I stayed at BC Children's Hospital in Vancouver, we got a visit from the Vancouver Canucks. You may know that the Canucks visit the Children's Hospital near Christmas every year. Trevor Linden, Matthias Ohlund, and Willie Mitchell came into the room with a big fat whale, Fin. I was really sick and tired after several surgeries on my head, taking off bandages, I didn't really care much about what was going on. They signed some stuff for me. My mother told me once that Trevor Linden had the "confused" look on his face, wondering why I wasn't excited or such. I didn't get to take ANY pictures. The Vancouver Canucks came to visit me and I seriously didn't know it was the amazing hockey franchise based in my hometown??? In the next few years in 2008, 2010, my cochlear implants have had problems and throughout my life, I've had 8-10 surgeries. It was painful, and horrible. I now know who the Vancouver Canucks are and whenever I'm feeling down because I'm deaf and gone through so much, I think about how the Vancouver Canucks devote their time, energies to making kids' lives brighten up in Children's Hospital. I wish that I can somehow meet the EPIC president of the Canucks again, Trevor Linden. He came to meet me and was confused why I wasn't happy. Mr. Linden, if you come meet me again it will BE THE BEST DAY of my life. :( You were a meter away from me. Come closer and I'll hug you and take a picture with you!!! <3 And that's why I'm a Canuck.

Can we please see the Canucks reach out to Linden and make this happen. It would make my day!!! Not to mention this Kids life!

Linden's going into 1040 today so I emailed them with the post and link, hopefully he gets to see it.

i haven't posted at all this year, sorry about that, and maybe i missed a thread about it already.. but why aren't we getting Shorthouse and Garrett for the playoffs?? are they not SPortsnet employees? is it just me that would prefer anything but Craig "you know in a season blah blah blah" Simpson. I dont mind Jim "great save (insert goalies name)" Hughson, but am i alone here? i rather Garrett and Shorthouse.. at least they are funny also

i guess i should be lucky we dont have to listen to Greg Millen..

You are not alone tottenhamninja, I feel the same way even a little more strongly so.

I prefer Shortie to Hughson and Garrett is by far the best colour man for the Canucks (boy does he have a sharp eye, ex-goalie skill, I guess).

I detest the way the eastern media force their fops down our throats.

We're a huge market; "Give the people want they want!" (the Kinks).

Archived