The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vrbata's Opening Night Success

TheRussianRocket.

Guest Cuporbust2

Sickens me that in all the time Gillis was running the show, he never found a winger to play with the Sedins. Then JB takes over and he finds a complimentary player as one of his first moves in free agency.

Samuelsson was his best shot and was also a pretty good pickup. He ended up playin on the second line mostly , but ya Gota give him some credit for that at least. He found us some great players but crapped the bed in the end

Sickens me that in all the time Gillis was running the show, he never found a winger to play with the Sedins. Then JB takes over and he finds a complimentary player as one of his first moves in free agency.

To be fair, Burrows had some amazing years with them.

To be fair x2, Name me 10 wingers off the top of your head that are realistic and affordable, and could have been had during Gillis' tenure that could also fit in well with the Sedins. Hell, I would even settle for a list of 5 wingers if you've got it. And keep in mind the REALISTIC part of it. So we are looking for a power forward with a good shot, who can also crash the net, and can cycle the puck, and play at their pace. Names that come to my mind are Ovechkin, James Neal, Evander Kane, Lucic. That's just off the top of my head, and during his tenure absolutely none of them were possibilities or realistic. So like I said, list me 5 realistic ones and I will happily retract my statement.

Gillis was a good GM that had a horrible media town all over his every move, and made a couple of moves that seemed good but backfired. It happens. I cant believe people around here are still whining about Gillis when he got us a game away from a Stanley Cup Championship. The only move from the very start I ever disagreed with was trading Luongo after trading Schneider. Beyond that, I back every move he made (at the time of the move before they backfired).

To be fair, Burrows had some amazing years with them.

To be fair x2, Name me 10 wingers off the top of your head that are realistic and affordable, and could have been had during Gillis' tenure that could also fit in well with the Sedins. Hell, I would even settle for a list of 5 wingers if you've got it. And keep in mind the REALISTIC part of it. So we are looking for a power forward with a good shot, who can also crash the net, and can cycle the puck, and play at their pace. Names that come to my mind are Ovechkin, James Neal, Evander Kane, Lucic. That's just off the top of my head, and during his tenure absolutely none of them were possibilities or realistic. So like I said, list me 5 realistic ones and I will happily retract my statement.

Gillis was a good GM that had a horrible media town all over his every move, and made a couple of moves that seemed good but backfired. It happens. I cant believe people around here are still whining about Gillis when he got us a game away from a Stanley Cup Championship. The only move from the very start I ever disagreed with was trading Luongo after trading Schneider. Beyond that, I back every move he made (at the time of the move before they backfired).

Lol..... Wow

Edit: He nor you understand the cap. He handcuffed the team by taking on bad contracts, poor signings, and passing out NTC like candy. He essentially paid way too much for the ice product and gave himself no ability to fix the problem he created. Sure he started out ok under the contracts he inherited but once he started to brand the team as his own it was all downhill. We could start talking about his treatment of players in the media and other GMs but I don't want to wright a book.

For once I agree with Ban. Burrows averaged around 30 goals a season for four years..

finding the winger for kesler, that was the issue.

Time will tell but Vrbata is a pure goal scorer...something the Twins have never had. Burrows is great but I don't think he represents a dangerous offensive weapon come playoffs. I hope that line will be harder to shut down come playoffs...also, having burrows on the 2nd or 3rd line just adds more depth.

I thought a lot of guys with questions marks on their heads played well last night. Burrows scored in his 1st game and not his 36th, Vrbata proved that he's a smart player with the Sedins, Henrik scores a highlight reel empty netter, and even Kassian--which I thought would have no future on this team--proved me wrong with a gimme back door goal.

Real question is whether the guys can keep it up for 81 more games, and against actual NHL opponents.

what about Kassian would ever give you that idea? He was the best fwd last year for the last half of the season, at least.

I find it utterly amazing that neither Calgary or Edmonton has figured out that prototypical Sedin play, despite it happening over and over and over again.

It's the entire league tbh. People know what they do, it's the same on the films all teams study but for whatever reason the Sedins' got this magic that allows them to be unpredictable while being predictable all at once. It's just too much for teams to be able to study and know 100%.

Archived