The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

'Sexy' Halloween kids costumes at Value Village anger mom

DonLever

Why arent bikinis pulled off the shelf? Why arent ballerina/dance outfits pulled off the shelf. Why are children allowed to wear figure skater outfits or gymnast suits? They all show skin, don't they?

It comes down to the parent. If a parent decides its okay for thier child to wear the costumes in question or any of the outfits i mentioned above, then thats thier choice. Its not up to somebody else to decide how another parent should dress thier kids. If you feel the costume is inappropriate for your child to wear, then so be it...but you have no right to make that decision for everyone else's kids.

the main thing i have an issue with is that they are trying to pass these kids pageant dresses off as police and firefighter outfits when they clearly are not. I have a GIANT issue with kids pageants and these look like they fit right in with them.

I'm skeptical that an average person can be that self-aware. Most of the effect it has is beyond our knowledge. If I asked you to describe what a good looking man looks like, the image that pops into your mind will be that of a overly muscular man.

This is generally accepted psychology, so i don't even know how to argue it. lol. It's like trying to explain gravity to someone.

:rolleyes: I consider myself to be good looking, and I have barely lifted a barbell.

Why arent bikinis pulled off the shelf? Why arent ballerina/dance outfits pulled off the shelf. Why are children allowed to wear figure skater outfits or gymnast suits? They all show skin, don't they?

It comes down to the parent. If a parent decides its okay for thier child to wear the costumes in question or any of the outfits i mentioned above, then thats thier choice. Its not up to somebody else to decide how another parent should dress thier kids. If you feel the costume is inappropriate for your child to wear, then so be it...but you have no right to make that decision for everyone else's kids.

I'm with Av...it's the labeling of firefighter/policewoman that's at issue. These do NOT represent those outfits.

Bikinis are functional and worn for swimming. Dance outfits are also used for...dancing. It's not about showing skin...it's about presenting to girls that this is their option - TO be scantily dressed. If a girl is wanting to be a firefighter, I doubt very much this is the vision she has in mind. This woman seemingly went looking for a particular costume and these were the choices being offered in that. And they don't represent the professions she was looking for at all. So let's not convert everything to skin showing minidresses...sure, that's an option and nothing wrong with it. But let's keep other options available too..the world is steering away from that.

We do have a right to present opinions and be vocal and opposed to things.

I'd question anyone fighting for these costumes...they're gawdy and impractical. Hallowe'en is often blustery and cold....would you throw your kid outside in that bikini in November? Sure, girls play dress up and they could work in that - but they are NOT representative of firefighters or police women. So why do we have to somehow pretend they are? You're missing the mark in our argument. The fact that they strayed from a true firefighter/police officer's traditional gear for the girls and made them something that has no resemblance is what we've challenging. Keep it real?

con062606_123473644.jpg

As a matter of fact....it's a good avenue for discussion in explaining WHY those costumes are not appropriate. Go into a fire like that and POOF, you're burned/dead. There is a reason they wear protective gear and it's an opportunity to learn about that.

Someone close to me spins fire...they have to be very specific, head to toe, in what they wear for that. One of our members here, is a firefighter...she'd be appalled that this is what they're passing off to young girls.

Fire burns...you want girls thinking that their latex minidress is fire gear? Provide them with correct information from day one - why mislead them?

But I question the deal anyhow, in seeing that the costume is labeled: Firefigter. It's a clue. Don't buy it. Firestarter more like it. That material likely would ignite from 20 miles away from a fire but go ahead, put your kid in it because you can.

So if a young girl wears an "authentic" police or fire "costume" for Halloween, is she then sent to the academy to become one? Since evidently costumes have to be that serious and literal.

The "but don't call it firefighter/cop" thing reminds me of religious people saying not to call gays getting married "marriage", as if to convey some social superiority due to similarly victorian-esque views.

So if a young girl wears an "authentic" police or fire "costume" for Halloween, is she then sent to the academy to become one? Since evidently costumes have to be that serious and literal.

The "but don't call it firefighter/cop" thing reminds me of religious people saying not to call gays getting married "marriage", as if to convey some social superiority due to similarly victorian-esque views.

The last part is completely irrelevant. I am not a religious person, nor do I support that thinking so don't try to detract from my point with nonsense. If that's your argument, it's weak.

If a girl/kid is expressing interest in something, perhaps one day she'll aspire to actually do it...why not cater, realistically, to that? Set the stage, early on. Some do know and follow their path/hearts and do something they've always been passionate about.

If a kid wants to play hockey, do you stick him in a wagon with a stick and tell them they are? Most NHL players start at an early age...someone presented that opportunity. Why not foster, realistically, the desires a kid shows toward something vs completely throwing them a curve ball?

That's how I parented anyhow. I did keep it real and tried to be direct, honest and not misleading. You do it your way, that's ok too.

The last part is completely irrelevant. I am not a religious person, nor do I support that thinking so don't try to detract from my point with nonsense. If that's your argument, it's weak.

If a girl/kid is expressing interest in something, perhaps one day she'll aspire to actually do it...why not cater, realistically, to that? Set the stage, early on. Some do know and follow their path/hearts and do something they've always been passionate about.

If a kid wants to play hockey, do you stick him in a wagon with a stick and tell them they are? Most NHL players start at an early age...someone presented that opportunity. Why not foster, realistically, the desires a kid shows toward something vs completely throwing them a curve ball?

That's how I parented anyhow. I did keep it real and tried to be direct, honest and not misleading. You do it your way, that's ok too.

So if a girl dresses as a bunny for Halloween, the presumption is she aspires to be a rabbit?

FTR, since it's complicated to you and you're confused:

why not cater, realistically, to that?

Realistically, someone can't be and so it's rather simple - you'd explain why that isn't possible. It is, however, possible, to be a hockey player, firefighter or police officer.

Did someone say that?

A rabbit is different than actual professional outfits that are being addressed/marketed here. So don't wander.

I'm not wandering, there's a common theme with costumes for Halloween..

Chances are pretty high a girl dressing as a firefighter for this doesn't aspire to be a firefighter, just like any girl who dresses as a witch, or princess.

It's just a costume.

I'm not wandering, there's a common theme with costumes for Halloween..

Chances are pretty high a girl dressing as a firefighter for this doesn't aspire to be a firefighter, just like any girl who dresses as a witch, or princess.

It's just a costume.

Says who? You? How on Earth do you know. As a parent, you should consider it could happen....my kids knew from day one what they wanted to do and are both doing it. Hone in on the stuff, nurture the ideas and they can play out.

Says who? You? How on Earth do you know. As a parent, you should consider it could happen....my kids knew from day one what they wanted to do and are both doing it. Hone in on the stuff, nurture the ideas and they can play out.

Because most kids understand the difference between fantasy and reality.

If they really want to be a firefighter, it will manifest itself outside a simple Halloween costume.

You're reading way, way too much into this. Halloween costumes are not about prepping kids for what they want to be when they grow up, it's about dressing up as something fun.

Literalism for an event about fantasy and fun is missing the point.

Archived