The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vision Vancouver Uses taxpayers money to buy votes

Violator

No it's pretty much the same things just the party in charge would be a bunch of disorganized idiots instead of corporate sponsored crooks.

At this point I honestly don't know which is worse.

Such wonderful "choice" we have here :rolleyes:

**Vote Independent!**

We're not too different from Americans with religious-like devotion to parties rather than voting for more honest candidates, even if we ideologically disagree with them to x degree.

Vote with your feet. Just move to where the laws are the closest to what you want. It's much easier.

LOL

That's basically what I did. frack Ontario.

We're not too different from Americans with religious-like devotion to parties rather than voting for more honest candidates, even if we ideologically disagree with them to x degree.

Yup, we're sadly following in their foot steps. I weep for humanity.

Guys, I need some help (and before you say it, I have been in contact with COV about this...). I wouldn't usually ask this on CDC, but I'm hoping somebody here has experience in the same situation...

I'm currently trying to figure out whether I'm eligible to vote in the upcoming civic election in Vancouver as a student currently studying in Toronto.

Under the Ontario Municipal Elections Act I was eligible to vote in the Toronto city elections:

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_96m32_e.htm#s2s2p1

Exception, students

(2.1) Despite paragraph 1 of subsection (2), a person may have residences in two local municipalities at the same time if,

(a) the person lives in one of the local municipalities in order to attend an educational institution, but not with the intention of changing his or her permanent lodging place; and

( B) the person’s permanent lodging place is in the other local municipality. 2009, c. 33, Sched. 21, s. 8 (3).

Now, the BC Local Government Act has a bit about students as well:

(2) As an exception to subsection (1), if a person establishes for the purposes of attending an educational institution a new area in which the person is a resident that is away from the usual area in which the person is a resident, the person may choose for the purposes of this Part either the usual area or the new area as the area in which the person is a resident.

http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/LOC/complete/statreg/--%20L%20--/Local%20Government%20Act%20[RSBC%201996]%20c.%20323/00_Act/96323_04.xml#section49

As you can see, the BC Local Government Act seems to say that I need to choose where I'm a "resident". I take this to imply that as long as I don't take measures to make Toronto my permanent place of residence, I am still considered a resident of Vancouver. As I have done no such thing, would I not still be eligible to vote in Vancouver's upcoming election as a resident and mail in my ballot?

As I mentioned, I have contacted the City of Vancouver about this but they seem to disagree with me. I have yet to cite the BC Local Government Act in my correspondence because honestly...I think that's kind makes me sound like a stuck-up jerk. But I really want to make sure that I have actually been disqualified before backing down and not voting.

^ Just show up with some ID and some mail that says "Vancouver" on it and you will probably be allowed.

If not they will explain what you need to do.

Much faster.

I'm in Toronto...I made a boo-boo. I fixed it. Sorry for the confusion.

Wow, and absentee municipal election ballot. You must really love/hate Greggor.

Ha, I'll let you guess on that one.

I also just really think I should vote whenever I'm eligible. I have no right to complain about anything unless I've actually done something to try and change it.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/big-names-big-money-vision-vancouver-unveils-2-3-million-donor-list-1.2091740

Vision Vancouver has released its 2014 pre-election donor list, which includes some of the city’s most influential – and wealthy – residents.

The party received a total of $2,251,348.17 in campaign funding between January 1 and October 31.

Corporate donations account for $1.43-million – or 64 per cent – of the total amount.

Read: Full disclosure of campaign donations for 2014

Some of the biggest donators to the party include the Vancouver Canucks/Aquilini Corporation ($60,000), Lululemon Founder Chip Wilson ($37,500) and the Canadian Union of B.C. Employees ($226,000 total).

David Aisenstat, CEO of The Keg restaurants, donated $100,000. The businessman also sits on the board of trustees at the Vancouver Art Gallery.

The Vancouver Taxi Association, who has been openly campaigning against Uber launching in the city, gave a total of $53,000.

About 4,500 individuals contributed to the campaign, totaling nearly $500,000.

The Non-Partisan Association is expected to release its own campaign contribution list Friday.

Both the Green Party and COPE have already released their lists.

Vancouver does not limit the amount of money individuals can donate to candidates.

Follow these links to see the campaign donations for the NPA and Vision Vancouver for the 2011 election.

So.... old money, businesses and special interest groups supporting Vision. Mayor Moonbeam is definitely a Mayor of the people.... unlike the old money, businesses and special interest groups supported NPA... oh wait, lol.

So why do Vision keep blaming the NPA for being in the pocket of developers when they are the same or worse. It seems they are misleading people by saying they are the "people's" party. Why don't people see through the phony stuff Vision keep spewing. At according to Global, the race for Mayor has narrowed with only a 4% difference between Robertson and Lapointe. So there is still hope for getting rid of Mayor Moonbeam.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/big-names-big-money-vision-vancouver-unveils-2-3-million-donor-list-1.2091740

So.... old money, businesses and special interest groups supporting Vision. Mayor Moonbeam is definitely a Mayor of the people.... unlike the old money, businesses and special interest groups supported NPA... oh wait, lol.

Of course, they are both beholden to developers but anyone older will surely remember the NPA got booted out resoundly before because they were the party of big development. Now it's vision. And we'll vote for the same idiots again so we are the problem, not them.

So why do Vision keep blaming the NPA for being in the pocket of developers when they are the same or worse. It seems they are misleading people by saying they are the "people's" party. Why don't people see through the phony stuff Vision keep spewing. At according to Global, the race for Mayor has narrowed with only a 4% difference between Robertson and Lapointe. So there is still hope for getting rid of Mayor Moonbeam.

Getting rid of him for what? It's so easy to sit here and spout nonsense like 'mayor moonbeam bad' but ok, so what instead?

Getting rid of him for what? It's so easy to sit here and spout nonsense like 'mayor moonbeam bad' but ok, so what instead?

Make a Vancouver policitical party called "Surrey First". As in, "We're good the way we are here, and if you are moving to the region, I would suggest looking at Surrey First, we are a full".

It's the Canadian way! They got theirs, screw the future, it's about me an my creature comforts, and more importantly, my property values!"

Overwhelming landslide! Actually, that's kind of what both parties end up doing anyways.

Make a Vancouver policitical party called "Surrey First". As in, "We're good the way we are here, and if you are moving to the region, I would suggest looking at Surrey First, we are a full".

It's the Canadian way! They got theirs, screw the future, it's about me an my creature comforts, and more importantly, my property values!"

Overwhelming landslide! Actually, that's kind of what both parties end up doing anyways.

What?

Archived