The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Remembrance day controversy in Ontario

73 Percent

I ever knew the word cenotaph existed...

In this day and age, a dictionary is more than easily accessible.

You don't even NEED a dictionary if you were to look it up as a picture. Your generation has so much accessibility to information. It's just no excuse.

Trolling on a topic such as Remembrance Day is something only the most pathetic of individuals would do. Unfortunately, when I read over the posts made I can't help but think he must be attempting to troll. I don't know what is worse, having someone that uneducated at 16 years old roaming the streets of Canada or having a life form so low and pathetic that they make a joke out of something like Remembrance Day.

He's definitely trolling. I like how he's backtracking a little, though poorly. :picard:

How do you carry on a discussion with a word that you're not familiar with? It's like being a speaker at a meeting at Google HQ and you have no working knowledge of computers.

In this day and age, a dictionary is more than easily accessible.

You don't even NEED a dictionary if you were to look it up as a picture. Your generation has so much accessibility to information. It's just no excuse.

What are you talking about? Googling cenotaph and asking you guys what a cenotaph is the same thing?

He's definitely trolling. I like how he's backtracking a little, though poorly. :picard:

How do you carry on a discussion with a word that you're not familiar with? It's like being a speaker at a meeting at Google HQ and you have no working knowledge of computers.

Im ot trying to carry on a conversation as much as im trying to stick for myself

At least it gives me hope that the youth in highschools today aren't that stupid. Although it saddens me that some are pathetic enough to make a joke out of such a serious topic of discussion.

Anyway I am glad that you and I were able to discuss our viewpoints on the subject. From what I can tell (correct me if I am wrong though) the two of us don't actually disagree with eachother. The way my words came across was probably a little harsh though due to the anger that came with having to accept that fact I had to even explain the importance of Remembrance Day.

Im ot trying to carry on a conversation as much as im trying to stick for myself

Well, you're also digging yourself a grave too.

There are some things that you may not know the word to, but you could still Google it. You'd be surprised that you may know things that you've seen (and/or otherwise sensed) but didn't know the word to it.

A cenotaph is one of those things. You could've looked it up, but you didn't. Not sure why you're continuing a conversation to 'stick up for yourself' when you don't know what you're talking about.

Look, in case you're not actually trolling, I see where you're coming from, sorta. You're questioning how important Remembrance Day is to you since WW1 seems so far removed from you. But guess what? It's far removed for most people. It's your fault for not knowing what happened in the past. You can't hide under a shroud of ignorance and expect that you could defend yourself using it.

OMG IM SAYING ASKING SOMEBODY (WHO OBVIOUSLY KNOWS WHAT CENOTAPH MEANS) WHAT CENOTAPH MEANS IS THE SAME THING AS GOOGLING IT

Let me break this down then.

You're asking what a cenotaph is.

1) This means you do not know what it means.

2) You're quizzing someone on what it means.

3) You're asking what a cenotaph means to someone. It could mean something different.

But you clearly said that you didn't learn or know about the word 'cenotaph'. That means that's option 1.

In the time for you to type this post, you could've known the answer a long time ago yourself. Not an excuse man.

Trolling on a topic such as Remembrance Day is something only the most pathetic of individuals would do. Unfortunately, when I read over the posts made I can't help but think he must be attempting to troll. I don't know what is worse, having someone that uneducated at 16 years old roaming the streets of Canada or having a life form so low and pathetic that they make a joke out of something like Remembrance Day.

I agree.. and like I stated in my previous post its only going to get worse.

Just recently some 90 year old vet got robbed and it literally broke my heart because they stole everything from him, even his medals and army papers..

IMO until we see WW3 or some mass relatable conflict to WW1/2 the current generation is going to have a hard time appreciating and relating to why people show respect on remembrance day. The same could be said about recent immigrants because some might not feel connected since they may have not lost a loved one,etc..

Unfortunately war will probably never end and these people will know what it feels like.

This issue is certainly not an issue in BC because it is a holiday in BC. There is no school, so no assembly.

But in some provinces like Ontario, Remembrance is NOT a holiday, students go to school and people go to work.

I heard that may change as the Feds want to make it a national holiday.

Anyway if I had to be completely frank about Remembrance Day, it bears no importance to me as an exclusively Canadian thing. For myself, it's a good way to ponder on the sacrifices made by men who due to conscription had no choice but to take part in the bloodshed. Canadian soldiers are not the only ones that have had to deal with this and it's tragic regardless of the flag or cause

The sensationalist "they protect our freedums frum Hitler" is a perspective lacking any room for the experiences of a post 9/11 immigrant. It's understandable how the nuance of "we're not celebrating war, we're remembering sacrifice" is lost on them. I'm not excusing it, but I'm saying it's understandable.

These people had nothing to do with your grandpa's war, they are currently "othered" as a whole as uncivilized plight looking to exploit our resources (Jesus, just read the comments here).

When the red poppy (Canada, UK, US) is so strongly associated with the same faction that's CURRENTLY been responsible for some pretty terrible shit on the other side of pond, you expect migrants who have strong ties to the region to overlook the mistreatment at the expense of feeling more Canadian because that's just the Canadian thing to do?

Give me a fucking break. I don't agree with either sides but I think associating both positive and negative emotions with the day is completely understandable under certain context.

It's chauvinistic if nothing else to imply every Canadian should have the same connection with the military. I certainly don't. Now excuse me for not partaking in this jingoist circle jerk.

Archived