The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are the expectations of Corrado?

HC20.0

So, reading another trade Bieksa thread(We really have too many of those... Also Raymond, Ballard, and a 1st anyone?), and reading it I saw Frankie Corrado's name pop up here and there as a replacement. It's quite obvious that Corrado is not NHL ready this year, training camp showed us that. But Corrado is interesting. He didn't have high expectations being a 5th round pick, but blossomed into a player with 1st round potential immediately after being drafted. In his first season, the lockout, Corrado had a good year in the OHL, and at the end of it. earned a call up for Vancouver, and he didn't look a beat out of place. People thought he'd surely make the team next year.

Well he didn't, and he got a few call-ups, but unlike his first year he didn't look NHL ready. He had good and bad games, but overall, it was clear he needed more development. He had a mediocre training camp this year, and overall so far he's been average-decent with the Comets. But what are the realistic expectations of Frankie? He's 21 now. I don't expect him to make the team next year, but the after I think he has a legitimate chance of making it. I see him developing into a top 6 D with top 4 potential if needed as a line up replacement. What are your thoughts?

Safe bottom-3 defender (strange that compared with last year our expectations of him and Tanev have gotten flipped around; I thought that Frankie would emerge as a physical upgrade to Chris, yet now Frankie's only mediocre in the "A" and Chris is playing very well alongside Edler).

I'd say his career high would be around 20 points and he'd play solid defensively most nights. Not bad for someone taken in the 5th round though. That said I hope that we'd have a new top D-prospect soon (Tryamkin? a revived Hutton?)

Hard to say with Frankie. He looked so good early on but has seemed to have almost regressed. His more recent call-ups have been disappointing and he's been inconsistent as an AHLer.

One interesting explanation I've heard was a pretty convincing argument by a Utica fan that Comets assistant coach Nolan Baunmgartner hasn't done a good job with a few of our defensive prospects and has been better with AHL veteran defensemen. I can't really offer an opinion either way (since I just don't follow the farm as closely as I used to) but it does seem like some of our D draft picks have underachieved during the period the corresponds with Baumer's tenure as the assistant coach in charge of Utica's (and formerly Chicago's) defense.

I thought he'd earned a spot on the Canucks coming out of the 2013 training camp, but agree he's regressed since and right now I have no expectations, only hope-and less of that than was the case a few months ago.

Upside is still probably 2nd pair. More likely would be 3rd pair. However, he could get stuck at #7 or #8. As noted he's only 21. Time will tell.

Safe bottom-3 defender (strange that compared with last year our expectations of him and Tanev have gotten flipped around; I thought that Frankie would emerge as a physical upgrade to Chris, yet now Frankie's only mediocre in the "A" and Chris is playing very well alongside Edler).

I'd say his career high would be around 20 points and he'd play solid defensively most nights. Not bad for someone taken in the 5th round though. That said I hope that we'd have a new top D-prospect soon (Tryamkin? a revived Hutton?)

Same. I saw Frankie as the obvious replacement for Tanev and an upgrade by this season, which I was clearly wrong about.

Frankie has a better slap shot and more physicality, which drew me, but Tanev is a much better skater and a lot smarter defensively. His offensive awareness is still developing, but at least it's improving.

As for Frankie, I hope he stays buried in Utica this year and keeps developing. He's still very young at only 21. He'll need to get better both defensively and offensively. It might be a couple more seasons before we see him as a full timer with the Canucks (2016-2017 season).

I think there's an expectation that this discussion would remain in the Corrado thread in the prospects directory....

That aside, I think he can be a top 4 in the league but probably needs a little more overall strength for a 82 game + Playoffs of handling the size of forwards he would be currently facing in the west.

Glad they still have him in Utica. No reason to rush him, but I think we'll see him for 15 - 20 games over the course of the season.

Archived