The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Moral Victory

menace

Hello CDC

This year clearly so far has Canuck nation stirring again at the possibilities. I want to start this thread and hope that posts continue to bolster the teams efforts when 2 points does not get entered into the W column. Examples would be Tanev's goal in TO or holding MTL to 0-5 on the power play. Clearly we have so many players coming back online this year after being derailed last year. All the moral victories eventually play out and accumulate to full time application. This group deserves credit even in defeat so lets post the magic when it happens. Case in point the 3rd and 4th line on this team are feeling it so give props to the special moments.

Hello Menace,

Moral victories are loser victories. I'd prefer the victories that add two points to the Canucks' place in the standings. What ever became of the moral victory that we had last January in LA? You know, the game we lost 1-0...not much good that game did for the Canucks.

There's always something good to take away from some losses, but moral victories? No thanks. Give me the two points instead. You can keep your moral victories.

The Canucks played well in Toronto but couldn't solve a good goalie, then started Ottawa strong and blew it, then just played horrible all Montreal game long. Their play slipped over those last 3 games noticeably, from solid passing and consistent offensive chances to no passes clicking, overskating the puck, giveaways and zero sustained offensive pressure.

I'm just hoping it was due to fatigue and not the start of developing bad habits.

This is not a thread to promote failure its an opportunity to point out great plays. I think this team is above the "We lost but did this right" comment on a result. We are above the lose and lose again but we did this right thread. This is a props to all even in loss that gets the team motivated thread. Find the bright side and add to the winning equation is my motivation behind this thread.

Hello Menace,

Moral victories are loser victories. I'd prefer the victories that add two points to the Canucks' place in the standings. What ever became of the moral victory that we had last January in LA? You know, the game we lost 1-0...not much good that game did for the Canucks.

There's always something good to take away from some losses, but moral victories? No thanks. Give me the two points instead. You can keep your moral victories.

Label me as one of those suckers that bought into that 'moral victory' 1-0 loss to the Kings last year. What a disaster the season was after that moral victory haha. Well I guess it did land us TL, JB and Willie so maybe it was not all bad. As has been mentioned I'll stick to the two point victories or playoff series victories from now on. We can leave the moral victory to the Oilers when they finally beat us in the final matchup this season to push them to 29th place while our stars are resting. :)

Label me as one of those suckers that bought into that 'moral victory' 1-0 loss to the Kings last year. What a disaster the season was after that moral victory haha. Well I guess it did land us TL, JB and Willie so maybe it was not all bad. As has been mentioned I'll stick to the two point victories or playoff series victories from now on. We can leave the moral victory to the Oilers when they finally beat us in the final matchup this season to push them to 29th place while our stars are resting. :)

The plays or face off wins in a loss transfer in an athletes muscle memory it all can't be rainbows and blow outs to the Stanley Cup.

This thread is to document how well individuals found their game within loss and can recall later when it matters.

The plays or face off wins in a loss transfer in an athletes muscle memory it all can't be rainbows and blow outs to the Stanley Cup.

This thread is to document how well individuals found their game within loss and can recall later when it matters.

I'll play along...we've had devastating losses in the spring of 1994 and 2011. If these turned out to be watershed moments that resulted in the team winning the cup the subsequent seasons then these losses would qualify as moral victories. Seeing how both resulted in subsequent play off failures, there was nothing gained by these losses. So, no there's no such thing as moral victories that come out of losing.

The closest thing we got going is the Canucks ousting the 'hawks in the spring of 2011 after getting our a$$e$ handed to us by the 'hawks the spring of 2010. But we almost blew that one too.

But I do appreciate your positivity.

Touche my friend. A good point.

I'll play along...we've had devastating losses in the spring of 1994 and 2011. If these turned out to be watershed moments that resulted in the team winning the cup the subsequent seasons then these losses would qualify as moral victories. Seeing how both resulted in subsequent play off failures, there was nothing gained by these losses. So, no there's no such thing as moral victories that come out of losing.

The closest thing we got going is the Canucks ousting the 'hawks in the spring of 2011 after getting our a$$e$ handed to us by the 'hawks the spring of 2010. But we almost blew that one too.

But I do appreciate your positivity.

I think the difference is how the shot callers being JB and WD reinforce the little things vs Management in the past continue to highlight the right moves. I think details with MG and AV slipped through the cracks. Our brain trust today is all over it. Loved that Hawks win and think this group could out chess moving forward.

Archived