The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Moral Victory

menace

After a great start to the season I'll take one small slice of moral ie morale victory over the road trip,sure we could have garnered more points. But home ice advantages in TO and Montreal happen sometimes (Belliveau bump?) whatever..I think the coaches know we lost a couple of bounces, a couple of unlucky own goals or whatever.These things even out over the long haul. The lesson learned is - what is the team chemistry that Trev,JB, and Coach D see.

Hello CDC

This year clearly so far has Canuck nation stirring again at the possibilities. I want to start this thread and hope that posts continue to bolster the teams efforts when 2 points does not get entered into the W column. Examples would be Tanev's goal in TO or holding MTL to 0-5 on the power play. Clearly we have so many players coming back online this year after being derailed last year. All the moral victories eventually play out and accumulate to full time application. This group deserves credit even in defeat so lets post the magic when it happens. Case in point the 3rd and 4th line on this team are feeling it so give props to the special moments.

How about the 4th goal against Ottawa in the 3rd period by Vrbata. Another Canucks victory taken away by the NHL. That call was right up there with Hanzals high stick goal they allowed. 2 clear cut examples that the fraternity of NHL referee's still havent forgiven Alex Burrows for costing Auger his job!

Hello Menace,

Moral victories are loser victories. I'd prefer the victories that add two points to the Canucks' place in the standings. What ever became of the moral victory that we had last January in LA? You know, the game we lost 1-0...not much good that game did for the Canucks.

There's always something good to take away from some losses, but moral victories? No thanks. Give me the two points instead. You can keep your moral victories.

LOL moral victories are loser victories. I like it.

Of course its not the best option to have more than a handful of them in a season. I just don't see the point in crying yourself to sleep over a loss. Now I have given everyone a +1 for participating in this thread. Feels good don't it!.

What a bunch of Negative Nancy's! :P I have mixed thoughts on this one. While I do feel like "Moral Victories" can be used to help build up confidence in a team that may be struggling for a period of time, I also feel that they are nothing more than stepping stones. To put too much value into them is a mistake and a horrible pattern to get into. A moral vicory is only a victory if it leads to better play, better effort and is built upon to equate into ACTUAL victories. If all you have is moral victories, then all you have is losses, and failure. With so many years of success in Vancouver especially, I think we are beyond putting anything other than this into a moral victory. We are not the Edmonton Oilers. In Vancouver, wins should be the moral victory.

What a bunch of Negative Nancy's! :P I have mixed thoughts on this one. While I do feel like "Moral Victories" can be used to help build up confidence in a team that may be struggling for a period of time, I also feel that they are nothing more than stepping stones. To put too much value into them is a mistake and a horrible pattern to get into. A moral vicory is only a victory if it leads to better play, better effort and is built upon to equate into ACTUAL victories. If all you have is moral victories, then all you have is losses, and failure. With so many years of success in Vancouver especially, I think we are beyond putting anything other than this into a moral victory. We are not the Edmonton Oilers. In Vancouver, wins should be the moral victory.

Well said Amigo you NAILED IT!

Agreed. I liked the OP's point and after he pointed it out more clearly I think it's important to note that his point is really a necessity for a team to move forward. Maybe some jumped the gun trying to misinterpret the point.

How about the 4th goal against Ottawa in the 3rd period by Vrbata. Another Canucks victory taken away by the NHL. That call was right up there with Hanzals high stick goal they allowed. 2 clear cut examples that the fraternity of NHL referee's still havent forgiven Alex Burrows for costing Auger his job!

It goes back way farther than that.. Take a look at who the statue is of out front of the arena.. I'm going to start laying down pagan style offerings at the foot of the statue, maybe that will help get the games called fairly.. Ref cam is the only other one that can help..

Label me as one of those suckers that bought into that 'moral victory' 1-0 loss to the Kings last year. What a disaster the season was after that moral victory haha. Well I guess it did land us TL, JB and Willie so maybe it was not all bad. As has been mentioned I'll stick to the two point victories or playoff series victories from now on. We can leave the moral victory to the Oilers when they finally beat us in the final matchup this season to push them to 29th place while our stars are resting. :)

If I recall due to the lottery win changing places....didn't us losing to the oilers or winning against the Panthers cost the Oilers 2nd overall in the draft and therefore the lottery win and Ekblad??

If I recall due to the lottery win changing places....didn't us losing to the oilers or winning against the Panthers cost the Oilers 2nd overall in the draft and therefore the lottery win and Ekblad??

I don't think we had anything to do with it.. I think what you've got mixed up is that the oilers finished last but lost the lottery to Florida who won 1st overall..

Archived