The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(proposal) another Bos - Van swap

Bos: Matthias, Stanton, Sestito

Van: Eriksson, Bartkowski, conditional 2nd 2016 ( if Bartkowski doesn't re-sign)

There has been a lot of speculation about an upcoming trade between these teams, Benning mentioned he isn't interested in trading Kassian, which is a good thing, I know that Kass is still an important piece to this team. Boston isn't going anywhere this year and they want/need to shed salary. This will help them get a bit more tougher which they'd like but most importantly save close to 3 million and get a cheaper asset in Stanton who is RFA, with Bartkowski being UFA he would cost them a lot more to re-up. Matthias is also UFA but I think Bos can re-sign him for 2.5 for a year also give them a chance to re-sign McQuaid

For the Canucks this will help upgrade the second line and infuse some more offensive which is sorely needed. Does this help the team be SC contenders it's hard to say, I feel that any team that makes the playoffs has a chance. If it doesn't work out, maybe they can trade Loui with our 1st to move up in the draft or allow Benning to make another move which he wouldn't be able to otherwise.

Dan, Hank, Vrbata/Erikkson

Higgins, Bonino, Erikkson/Vrbata

Burrows, Richardson, Kassian/Vey

Dorsett, Horvat, Hansen/Vey

Or....just keep Kassian and slot him into the top 6 instead of trading him + for an aging 2nd line player with concussion issues and a rental or risk in Bartkowski who we might not be able to retain.

Just saying

If Kassian is given a chance on the second that would be great, I know he can succeed their. Though I never mentioned trading kass I mentioned trading matthias who may not be re-signed come seasons end

Bos: Matthias, Stanton, Sestito

Van: Eriksson, Bartkowski, conditional 2nd 2016 ( if Bartkowski doesn't re-sign)

There has been a lot of speculation about an upcoming trade between these teams, Benning mentioned he isn't interested in trading Kassian, which is a good thing, I know that Kass is still an important piece to this team. Boston isn't going anywhere this year and they want/need to shed salary. This will help them get a bit more tougher which they'd like but most importantly save close to 3 million and get a cheaper asset in Stanton who is RFA, with Bartkowski being UFA he would cost them a lot more to re-up. Matthias is also UFA but I think Bos can re-sign him for 2.5 for a year also give them a chance to re-sign McQuaid

For the Canucks this will help upgrade the second line and infuse some more offensive which is sorely needed. Does this help the team be SC contenders it's hard to say, I feel that any team that makes the playoffs has a chance. If it doesn't work out, maybe they can trade Loui with our 1st to move up in the draft or allow Benning to make another move which he wouldn't be able to otherwise.

Dan, Hank, Vrbata/Erikkson

Higgins, Bonino, Erikkson/Vrbata

Burrows, Richardson, Kassian/Vey

Dorsett, Horvat, Hansen/Vey

I don't see this as being as one-sided in the Canucks' favour as some others are saying.

The Bruins are giving up an underperforming RW who hasn't had the same offensive production as when he was with Dallas. Matthais has a comparable amount in goals scored. Eriksson will have one year left on his contract, and has an injury history.

The Bruins are also moving Bartkowski, who is at best a bottom pairing d-man for the Bruins. They may, or may not have re-signed Bartkowski, depending on their cap situation and the development of some of the Bruins prospects. I'd feel better inclined towards Bartkowski were he to be an RFA after this season rather than a UFA.

The Bruins are gaining size, in Matthias and Sestito. They are also gaining in physicality for their bottom-6 with these guys. The Bruins are as good, or perhaps better with Stanton on their bottom pairing for defense with Stanton. On top of that, the Bruins are gaining, $3.5 million in cap space this season, and $4 million the next which allows them to seek out a top-6 winger to replace the under performing Eriksson.

If anything, the Bruins come out way on top in this deal.

regards,

G.

Eriksson is on pace for 24 in 38 and is +11. Is that really under performing? 4.5M for a two way top 6 RW, a position that the Bruins aren't exactly deep at. Eriksson has increased his value this year. He has been quite good and Bruins fans on HF don't want to see him traded anymore.

Matthias is a bottom 6 forward who has played quite well this year but is a UFA at the end of the year. His value is at best a 3rd. Sestito is a scrub and Stanton is a bottom pairing defenseman. Boston would probably prefer it if they were not even included.

This is an awful awful proposal. There is really no way to justify Boston giving this a thought, even with the gained cap space. There is no one in next year's free agent market that will come close to giving Eriksson's production for that cap hit. Maybe St Louis and Jagr but they are both well into their 40s.

again never mentioned trading Kass.

Well.

I do think the trade looks alright. It could happen. But Matthias is 26. Stanton is 24. They are one of the main players that are decently young. Hell even Sestito is young as well. Eriksson is a good 2nd liner don't get me wrong, but he's 29 and he's going to turn 30. And he's injury prone too. And to add to that, everyone in our top 6 except for bonino would be 30 or over. I'd much rather put Kassian who has tons of potential and if he does get a chance then hopefully we can see what he has in him over the course of the year.

So I really don't want to trade younger players for older players that are regressing.

Well.

I do think the trade looks alright. It could happen. But Matthias is 26. Stanton is 24. They are one of the main players that are decently young. Hell even Sestito is young as well. Eriksson is a good 2nd liner don't get me wrong, but he's 29 and he's going to turn 30. And he's injury prone too. And to add to that, everyone in our top 6 except for bonino would be 30 or over. I'd much rather put Kassian who has tons of potential and if he does get a chance then hopefully we can see what he has in him over the course of the year.

So I really don't want to trade younger players for older players that are regressing.

24 games missed in his last 7 seasons (this being the 7th)... Last year he suffered two concussions and still only missed 21 games. He is finally looking like the player he used to be.

For sure they do. The op has the value off.

24 games missed in his last 7 seasons (this being the 7th)... Last year he suffered two concussions and still only missed 21 games. He is finally looking like the player he used to be.

of course the value is low, that's what happens when a team is close to the cap and needs to shed salary. Not many teams would get fair value for being in that situation, not many teams if any have received fair value while in this situation.

The league thinks that the cap may go up only a mil. if even that. Boston has a lot of players to re-sign and a few of them are key players, even if the cap goes up an extra million they would not be able to re-sign those players. I'm sure a team will offer a bit more for Eriksson but I doubt much more and it all depends on who that team it is and if Bos GM wants to make a deal with said team. With Bennings connection to Boston this may give him a slight edge.

As for Stanton being a bottom pairing dman so is Bartkowski but Stanton is slightly better, a year younger, a RFA and will cost half of what Bartkowski would, who is UFA and most likely won't be re-signed, so yes they would be interested in a cheaper like wise asset.

Sestitio is someone that Boston supposedly inquired about and he is an upgrade to what they currently now have on the 4th.

Matthias not as skilled as Eriksson obviously, though could be a Higgins type producer if put in the right situation, he could net 15 - 17g and 35 - 40 pts and as of now Mattias is worth a 2nd round pick even with him being UFA.

If the cap doesn't go up more than a million next year there will be 3 - 5 teams (Boston included) that will need to off load players and many other teams close to the cap who will not be able to make a value for value trade and yet other teams who have internal caps. Meaning it will be a buyers market.

Even with Eriksson playing well now he still is a risk, one more hit, one more concussion and he could go the way of the Booth. If anything this is a riskier trade for Van than Bos Staton being the slightly better dman will cost less and be around, Bartkowski could walk at seasons end. Eriksson as mentioned though playing well, has a higher chance of getting another concussion and could be useless afterwards. Matthias though UFA is 3yrs younger, concussion free and could be re-signed cheap for a year if promised to be given a chance to prove his worth. So why would Vancouver then make this trade, on the chance that Eriksson produces as he did and currently does and hope he doesn't suffer another concussion.

Boston gives up waaaaaaaay too much.

For sure they do. The op has the value off.

The question of value isn't clearcut. On balance I think the proposal may be fair because the salary dump helps the Bruins, but would agree with those that would think the Bruins are likely to get a better offer. I'm also not sure about the proposal from the Canucks standpoint.

Gollumpus has already posted an argument why the values aren't so tilted in the Canucks favour and in fact might be the other way.

Eriksson carries a $4.25 million cap hit this year and next. The trade has been crafted so that the Canucks should have the room to absorb it this year, though it would take away a good portion of their cushion and so take away the flexibility for a different move.

If the salary cap didn't go up next season, as was speculated about earlier, Canucks would have to make other moves to handle Ericksson's salary next year. However, the most recent NHL projections were for a $73 million cap if $1C=$0.88 U.S. The Canadian dollar has sunk below that-currently 0.855. Let's guess that the C$ stays about where it is and the cap comes out at about $72 million for next season. With Eriksson, could the Canucks handle the increased cap hit? Probably. Is that the best use they can make of additional funds? My guess is that it is not.

If the Canucks re-signed Bartkowski I'd say it is a poor deal for them. Making themselves slightly better this year while getting older and taking a risk on Ericksson remaining healthy and productive just doesn't seem worth the gamble to me. The future is more important. The intriguing part of that comes if the Canucks take the 2nd round pick instead of re-signing Bartkowski ...

If they don't sign Bartkowski, that 2nd round pick may be something. They'd need to replace Stanton on defence, the most likely replacement being Corrado, but Sanguinetti, someone else or a free agent signing are also possible. (I see Sanguinetti as being unlikely to re-up with the Canucks if he doesn't get some time actually playing in the NHL this year, though.) Essentially, it could come down to giving up Matthias for Eriksson; Sestito who isn't in their plans, and Stanton (replaced, let's say, by Corrado who can't be sent to the AHL without waivers next season)-and getting a 2nd round pick out of it.

Perhaps it would depend on whether Matthias is a beast or a lamb.

Archived