The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver Canucks: Mid-season report card

TheRussianRocket.

Good read, pretty bang on actually. Kassian's had a disappointing year, but there are a couple others I'd put ahead of him. Namely Bieksa and Sbisa, which is alarming because they're both defensemen.

Surprises: Bonino(even though he's on a drought), Vrbata, Dorsett, Horvat, Burrows, Edler, and Miller. I honestly did not think Miller would be this good. He proved me wrong.

Needs work: Kassian, Sbisa, Bieksa, Higgins, Weber.

Eventhough I agree with most of the article it is VERY weak as a "report card". It is a lame, half-assed attempt at an article by a hack of a journalist (Mark Spector).

I would think that an article claiming to be a report card on a professional sports team would evaluate each player and the coach with a grade and explanation for such a grade.

I guess you can never be surprised by something that Spector writes.

I find this article, coming from Spector, rather amusing?

He's from Edmonton I think. And has always been a Debbie Downer dump on the obvious, in a smart ass kinda way in the past, by memory...

But hell, maybe he's smarter than we think? He didn't really trash anybody. It was pretty upbeat as a whole.

Here is an out of town writer, recognizing there might be a market for at least ONE LOCAL BEAT GUY who writes positive stories??? Then changes his style to grab easy market share from idiots like Gallagher...

:bigblush:

Sbisa. By a mile.

Kassian was meshing with Richardson and Matthias before players started dropping like flies and lines were shuffled.

^^ This

For a guy who hated the Kassian trade > I am not disappointed with his play.

Good read, pretty bang on actually. Kassian's had a disappointing year, but there are a couple others I'd put ahead of him. Namely Bieksa and Sbisa, which is alarming because they're both defensemen.

Surprises: Bonino(even though he's on a drought), Vrbata, Dorsett, Horvat, Burrows, Edler, and Miller. I honestly did not think Miller would be this good. He proved me wrong.

Needs work: Kassian, Sbisa, Bieksa, Higgins, Weber.

Bieksa has always been a guy who needs a steady guy to play with. That he makes mistakes (it is fair to say he should cut down a bit :rolleyes: ) gets offset with a good cover guy. He also contributes in a lot of ways not credited by guys who only see his mistakes. So he is good when he plays with Hamhuis, and not bad with Stanton. Its a gong show when he plays with Sbisa...

Sbisa does not contribute so much and makes even more pronounced mistakes.

Biggest surprise - our fourth line!

I thought Dorsett was done. Too many injuries and a horrible season in New York, but he has been awesome. Reminds me a bit of Cooke in terms of the way he plays (skill/intensity), but obviously much tougher.

Bo Horvat made the team, and fills the 4th line centre role remarkably. Playing solid two way hockey, showing strength, winning faceoffs.

Hansen is on pace for 20 goals. Enough said.

The 4th line is probably the key entity, maybe add better prospect depth, that is clearly better than our 2011 team!

I'm not sure it is a surprise though? The fitness and athleticism, added to sheer battle will, is just miles ahead with Hansen and Dorsett compared to Sestito and Dalpe! Horvat looks like he will be a rock defensively 6 or 7 years younger than Malhotra learned that side of the game as a big centre.

I am thrilled, but not surprised by Hansen either. It has to do with no Tortorella. Guys like him, and Burrows are so suited to attacking pressure as defensive forwards. Which is Willie's style somewhat similar to AV. Not sitting back in the lane and blocking shots (which they are not afraid to do). With them attacking, they are also creating turnovers and heading up ice for scoring chances. Pro's who work and play as hard as Burrows and Hansen were bound to rebound if the system again suited their style of play!

Sbisa? He's actually gotten better and better as the season has gone on. He's nothing spectacular now but at least now my butt doesn't clinch like it used to every time he touched the puck.

I have to go with Bieksa as the biggest disappointment. It's truly shocking how much he's regressed this season.

I agree with you!

This is what you get when a Deadmonton troll pretends to grade this team.

Biggest disappointments: none really, aside from

1) Hamhuis injury

2) Matthias concussion (and the lack of suspension)

3) Kassian injuries.

Kassian KO'd Eager and then high-sticked Gagner. Spector is a bitter Coiler throwback who has always loved to troll this team. His true disappointment is that Kassian is better than their last 1st overall pick.

If Spector is looking for a disappointment, look no further than Deadmonton's latest lottery.

43 games

5 goals, 6 assists

-18 (2nd worst on his team)

67.2% offensive zone starts (2nd highest of regulars next to Draisaitl, now in juniour - with 45.4% ozone finishes).

Weak quality of competition (20 Oilers facing stronger qoc)

-9.4 relative corsi. (27th on the Oilers)

28 giveaways (-16 turnovers). Turnover +/-p60 is 657th in the NHL.

Absolutely horrible numbers on all counts. Most sheltered player on the roster, anemic production, terrible puck possession underlying numbers.

Archived