The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Winter blizzard: N.Y., N.J. declare states of emergency

tera_ha

Friend from New York said it's not as bad as they're saying. It's like a day in Toronto.

As someone who lives in the Tri-state area I agree. This happens usually once a year here. For me it has never been worse than snowed in 1 day and/or loss of power for a day or two.

My ex-wife lives in New York so I routinely pray for this kind of weather to hit them. My lucks been coming up aces the last few years!

Her home will be underwater the rate we are going. Its sad that all we have nowadays are people that yell at our leaders to bring change for us. If Edison, Einstein or Gesner(the canadian guy who discovered how to make oil) saw that they would be very disappointed. All the enviromentalists need to find that alternative source of energy instead of complaining. That is the real issue here, we all want to complain and no one wants to find that alternative source. The stuff we have right now is NOWHERE as near as good as oil. They day we find something cheaper and better than oil thats the day change will come. And no Hydrogen is not it.

We sure have been lucky this year. last 2 days have basically been short/hoodie or tshirt/jeans days.

We are always lucky. With the exception of not having too many sunny days we are lucky in every other regard. When it snows, its barely anything. We have little to no smog because we don't have many factories here and we have kept enough trees to keep the air clean. No acid rain because of our limestone deposits in our lakes which prevent acid rain from forming in the first place. No 40 degree summers cause we are near the ocean so we stay cooler. Just awesome to be where we are.

All of those are awful movies. The only reason to watch them was effects, which are quickly getting dated.

Like they are really really bad. Hopefully I'm too tired at work to pick up on some serious sarcasm in this thread.

But the Day After Tomorrow being considered a good film is almost as bad as global warming itself. In fact that movie being considered good makes me want to increase global warming as humanity has no hope.

His reasons for the movies being good are wrong but they were good. IMO anyways, but we are all different with different tastes.

Her home will be underwater the rate we are going. Its sad that all we have nowadays are people that yell at our leaders to bring change for us. If Edison, Einstein or Gesner(the canadian guy who discovered how to make oil) saw that they would be very disappointed. All the enviromentalists need to find that alternative source of energy instead of complaining. That is the real issue here, we all want to complain and no one wants to find that alternative source. The stuff we have right now is NOWHERE as near as good as oil. They day we find something cheaper and better than oil thats the day change will come. And no Hydrogen is not it.

yes. the "real issue" isn't that canada is one of the most wasteful countries in the developed world... the issue is that environmentalists "complain" too much instead of creating and implementing all of the solutions

yes. the "real issue" isn't that canada is one of the most wasteful countries in the developed world... the issue is that environmentalists "complain"

Don't know what your basing that on cause Canada is no where near the level of emissions of the states. Doesn't matter if some article says the states are greener then canada, common sense suggests otherwise.

yes. the "real issue" isn't that canada is one of the most wasteful countries in the developed world... the issue is that environmentalists "complain" too much instead of creating and implementing all of the solutions

Why is it up to 'environmentalists' to create and implement all the solutions? That's like dismissing those who campaign for literacy because they aren't out there creating and implementing all the solutions to the problem.

And 'environmentalists' is a pretty vague meaningless term. Just makes it easy to take the fringe of that group and dismiss all the issues cause you can dismiss the fringe.

Don't know what your basing that on cause Canada is no where near the level of emissions of the states. Doesn't matter if some article says the states are greener then canada, common sense suggests otherwise.

Per capita Canada is worse.

Why is it up to 'environmentalists' to create and implement all the solutions? That's like dismissing those who campaign for literacy because they aren't out there creating and implementing all the solutions to the problem.

And 'environmentalists' is a pretty vague meaningless term. Just makes it easy to take the fringe of that group and dismiss all the issues cause you can dismiss the fringe.

Per capita Canada is worse.

The most recent data I've seen shows Canada has fallen slightly below the USA per capita. That trend should grow as the oil industry and construction slow in Canada and the economy of the USA picks up.

The numbers are pretty comparable though. Canada definitely should not be pointing fingers.

Back on topic... It turns out the snow storm was pretty lame and totally within normal weather patterns.

i was being sarcastic

All of those are awful movies. The only reason to watch them was effects, which are quickly getting dated.

Like they are really really bad. Hopefully I'm too tired at work to pick up on some serious sarcasm in this thread.

But the Day After Tomorrow being considered a good film is almost as bad as global warming itself. In fact that movie being considered good makes me want to increase global warming as humanity has no hope.

Did I miss something? :unsure:

I thought those posts were obviously sarcastic....

The most recent data I've seen shows Canada has fallen slightly below the USA per capita. That trend should grow as the oil industry and construction slow in Canada and the economy of the USA picks up.

The numbers are pretty comparable though. Canada definitely should not be pointing fingers.

Back on topic... It turns out the snow storm was pretty lame and totally within normal weather patterns.

per capita (aka per person) but if you look at it overall there is way more pollution in the U.S. Acid rain and smog are common occurrences in the big cities down there, here some people have never even heard of it except in Ontario.

per capita (aka per person) but if you look at it overall there is way more pollution in the U.S. Acid rain and smog are common occurrences in the big cities down there, here some people have never even heard of it except in Ontario.

Acid rain? Is it the 1990s again? The US has cut it's SO2 and NOx levels substantially from the 1990s. Acid rain isn't the issue it was.

Also both Toronto and Montreal get regular smog warnings. Smog only accumulates in dense cities that are significant distance from the ocean (where the ocean air doesn't blow it away). You can't really just declare Americans more pollutant, because they have more big cities..

Did I miss something? :unsure:

I thought those posts were obviously sarcastic....

No they were real.

Archived