The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Any CDC'ers been to Sweden?

canucklax

I've been to Stockholm (couple years ago). Are you interested in going to museums or just seeing sights?

places: Gamla stan (the old town) is nice to walk around, it has a royal palace on it. Kungsträdgården and area are nice, same with Hötorget. Thorildsplan metro station has pac man and super mario bros mosaics.

museums: Vasa is pretty cool, so is Skansen and Nordiska. They are all pretty close to one another and it's a nice tram ride from downtown.

I'll be travelling to Stockholm for 4 days and Gothenberg for one day over spring break as part of a program at my university. Any advice for sights to see, or tips on getting around, as well as bar recommendations would be great.

The Swanky clubbing district in Stockholm is called Stureplan, there's lots of clubs in that area. The subway system in Stockholm is pretty good. I live outside Gothenburg, I haven't been clubbing here in a long time, but the two places to go are either the Vasa/Aveny area or Andralanggatan area, Andralang is more of a pub atmosphere while Vasa is a clubbing one.

It's hard to pick sights to see since it's not a good time to be a tourist in Sweden, I guess I can suggest Stockholm Castle or the Vasa Museum in Stockholm. Gothenburg, meh, this city sucks as far as I'm concerned.

People here are frigid at best so don't expect them to be very welcoming of foreigners despite their attempts at being mega PC liberal champions who tolerate everyone and everything, in reality there's nothing more a Swede hates then a loud foreigner, and loud to a Swede is a whisper to a North American.

I have a lot of contempt for this place, despite living here for 15 years and being married to a Swede, as far as I'm concerned I hope you leave with a bad taste in your mouth with regards to the people because nothing hurts a Swede more than their vein ego towards how foreigners perceive them negatively. Thankfully my wife is more worldly than the average Swede.

I've been to Stockholm (couple years ago). Are you interested in going to museums or just seeing sights?

places: Gamla stan (the old town) is nice to walk around, it has a royal palace on it. Kungsträdgården and area are nice, same with Hötorget. Thorildsplan metro station has pac man and super mario bros mosaics.

museums: Vasa is pretty cool, so is Skansen and Nordiska. They are all pretty close to one another and it's a nice tram ride from downtown.

I'm not much of a museum guy, moreso interested in getting a feel for the city and what not.

How far apart are these areas to your knowledge, like public transit between them or would a cab be a better idea?

The Swanky clubbing district in Stockholm is called Stureplan, there's lots of clubs in that area. The subway system in Stockholm is pretty good. I live outside Gothenburg, I haven't been clubbing here in a long time, but the two places to go are either the Vasa/Aveny area or Andralanggatan area, Andralang is more of a pub atmosphere while Vasa is a clubbing one.

It's hard to pick sights to see since it's not a good time to be a tourist in Sweden, I guess I can suggest Stockholm Castle or the Vasa Museum in Stockholm. Gothenburg, meh, this city sucks as far as I'm concerned.

People here are frigid at best so don't expect them to be very welcoming of foreigners despite their attempts at being mega PC liberal champions who tolerate everyone and everything, in reality there's nothing more a Swede hates then a loud foreigner, and loud to a Swede is a whisper to a North American.

I have a lot of contempt for this place, despite living here for 15 years and being married to a Swede, as far as I'm concerned I hope you leave with a bad taste in your mouth with regards to the people because nothing hurts a Swede more than their vein ego towards how foreigners perceive them negatively. Thankfully my wife is more worldly than the average Swede.

The group I am with is defintiely more of a bar/pub crowd than clubs but its always good to have options. I know the weather won't be too great, being early/middle march but I don't expect it to be anything too crazy compared to the PNW.

Yeah we've been told about the differences between us "loud americans" and the more reserved swedes, so we will be mindful of that when we travel but I'm sure we will still stand out

LOL. Wow...^that was harsh - tho' accurate in some respects. I know more about Swedish-Finns from Finland, or transplanted Scandinavians than homeland Swedes. We've visited for hockey games and World/ WJ tournaments. The citizens have been very helpful and great to converse with on almost any topic.

Just nod and say 'tack' a lot, pronounced more like 'tuck' which means thanks! In my experience nothing opens doors or will get ya more invites, than humility, politeness and gratitude. Dress warm and have fun!

i'm packing my bags

LOL. Wow...^that was harsh - tho' accurate in some respects. I know more about Swedish-Finns and Finland than homelander Swedes. We've been able to visit for hockey games and WJ tournaments. Their citizens have been very helpful & great to converse with on many topics.

Just say nod & say 'tack' a lot, pronounced more like 'tuck' which means thanks! In my experience nothing opens doors or will get ya more invites, than humility, politeness and gratitude. Dress warm and have fun!

unpacking my bags

I'm not much of a museum guy, moreso interested in getting a feel for the city and what not.

How far apart are these areas to your knowledge, like public transit between them or would a cab be a better idea?

don't take cabs they are super expensive. Booze is also expensive/ to go out (at least that's what my brother told me and why we went to house parties instead)

Kungsträdgården, Hötorget, Gamla stan are close to one another you could type it in on google maps and get an idea (they are also tbana stops); Thorildsplan metro (tbana) station is way out of the heart city but depending on which airport you arrive at you might pass it (bromma airport).

Do eat at Max they have great burgers.

unpacking my bags

LOL. Just be sincere. Being too complimentary as a foreigner is considered duplicitous or even too sleezy by some Scandinavians. Compliments about home and country are received very well...too many personal compliments to the ladies make most Swedes/Scandinavians feel uncomfortable. An appreciation of politeness doesnt mean they're a no-fun people,..just not a 'Look at me! Look at me!' bunch.

Altho' if we were to judge by TOR's draft pick Nylander, my previous comments, wouldn't fly.

Just say nod and say 'tack' a lot, pronounced more like 'tuck' which means thanks! In my experience nothing opens doors or will get ya more invites, than humility, politeness and gratitude. Dress warm and have fun!

I'll keep that in mind, thanks

Archived