The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Any CDC'ers been to Sweden?

canucklax

Also, any food recommendations? I figure swedish meatballs will be something I'll have to try, but I'm not sure what else

Real pickled herring. And saffron bullar.

And drink Akvavit. Drink it and look off into the distance heroically as it burns your nostrils and you hold back your screams as the taste of pure paint thinner and nail polish remover mixed with aniseed slides down your throat. It's great stuff.

Have some lutefisk if you're into projectile vomiting.

Only 5 days ...

Skitbra is the only word you will need for 5 days.

To pronounce it ... think of how that talking baby from Family Guy says "wheat thins" but say "wheat bra" and you're all set.

Next time go to Skåne (it's like Sweden, only much much better) and Denmark instead and check out about 500 billion bands, and actually enjoy the fun part of Scandinavia, the happy part of Scandinavia, the part I'm from. Yay.

I was just there when the world juniors were there.

Swedes during the day are stuffy and reserved family types. Think about the children!

Get them drunk though and they turn into maniacs.

Prepare for very crappy beer costing a LOT of money.

Pray to whatever god you have or can conjure (common Odin!) that it's a warm spring day. Then just go wander around the local square and try not to trip over your tongue.

I was just there when the world juniors were there.

Swedes during the day are stuffy and reserved family types. Think about the children!

Get them drunk though and they turn into maniacs.

Prepare for very crappy beer costing a LOT of money.

Pray to whatever god you have or can conjure (common Odin!) that it's a warm spring day. Then just go wander around the local square and try not to trip over your tongue.

^Drunks turning into maniacs,...true. Viking blood!

Buy stuff for your trip or see the museums when ya come across 'em and there's easy opportunity. Shops and places close early and may not even be open at all...they're not close to being a 24-7 society like we have here.

You should try to catch a soccer game by an Alsvenskan team (Djurgården, AIK or IFK Göteborg). Even if you don't like soccer it's a really cool experience because of all the "tifo", something you don't have in North American sports. They also exist in hockey but to a smaller extent.

Also walking around town is usually really cool for Americans since there's acually houses that were built more than 50 years ago...

Also, remember that you are never supposed to tip. Everyone gets paid regardless of if they get tipped or not and that often results in super bad service...

I'm a musician and worked a resident house gig in Stockholm for three weeks about 10 years ago...It is a clean, fascinating city,with a wonderful Old Town (The old parts of the city are all intact as it was never bombed)....Lots of very pretty girls and nightclubs that are open 24/7.

I've been to Gothenburg and really enjoyed it. I went to a couple of the museums (don't know if it's still the case but if you're under 25 just show ID and you can get in to some of them for free), bars and a club called "Sticky Fingers" (we found the place in the in-flight magazine and it turned out to be a good night). I went with a couple of my friends and stayed in this hostel which was basically an IKEA showroom.

I would definitely visit again.

• 4 weeks later...

You should try to catch a soccer game by an Alsvenskan team (Djurgården, AIK or IFK Göteborg). Even if you don't like soccer it's a really cool experience because of all the "tifo", something you don't have in North American sports. They also exist in hockey but to a smaller extent.

Also walking around town is usually really cool for Americans since there's acually houses that were built more than 50 years ago...

Also, remember that you are never supposed to tip. Everyone gets paid regardless of if they get tipped or not and that often results in super bad service...

Football season in Sweden is April-November, it won't have started in March.

I'll be travelling to Stockholm for 4 days and Gothenberg for one day over spring break as part of a program at my university. Any advice for sights to see, or tips on getting around, as well as bar recommendations would be great.

My mom is from Sweden, Ive been there 5 times visiting relatives. Gothenberg is beutiful, youll find the whole country reminds you alot of BC and the big cites, the ones you mentioned, will remind you alot of Vancouver, same climate, same scenery.

In Goteborg I recommend checking out the theme park, I cant remember how to spell its name but its something like Lisberry, google it, its a riot. There are also some cool boat tours you can take of Goteborg(Swedish spelling) harbour. There is a really decent nightlife there too, Im not into drinking and bars and all that anymore, but when I was 19 I found some awesome clubs there, and the vibe is so much better then anywhere Ive been in Canada. In Sweden/Europe on the whole its not just about drinking, finding someone to boink and getting into a fight, its actually just a bunch of ppl having a great time. Lovely girls, everyone for the most part speaks great english. Don't try to engage too many people in hockey talk as most don't follow it there, football(soccer) being the dominant sport. Although, when I visited in summer of 04 someone did recognize my Flames jersey and congratulate me on the Flames cup win lol despite the fact they lost.

If you have time take a drive up the east coast from Goteborg and head to a little village called Smogen, its fantastic, right on the water, they have gobs of amazing restaurants, disco's/bars etc. One disco is super cool, its out on a tiny island and you have to take a small open top boat to get to it, and inside its wicked awesome, 3 dance floors stacked one on top of the other. Its about a 2.5 hour drive from the city.

Real pickled herring. And saffron bullar.

And drink Akvavit. Drink it and look off into the distance heroically as it burns your nostrils and you hold back your screams as the taste of pure paint thinner and nail polish remover mixed with aniseed slides down your throat. It's great stuff.

Have some lutefisk if you're into projectile vomiting.

Only 5 days ...

Skitbra is the only word you will need for 5 days.

To pronounce it ... think of how that talking baby from Family Guy says "wheat thins" but say "wheat bra" and you're all set.

Next time go to Skåne (it's like Sweden, only much much better) and Denmark instead and check out about 500 billion bands, and actually enjoy the fun part of Scandinavia, the happy part of Scandinavia, the part I'm from. Yay.

I couldn't stop laughing as I read this. Now I'm curious to try it. Can you get it here? :lol:

I couldn't stop laughing as I read this. Now I'm curious to try it. Can you get it here? :lol:

I tell you, it'll burn your chest hair right off, and then that chest hair will instantly grow back fuller and thicker than it was before.

I get it brought over from Sweden by friends. But if you are seriously asking me, you can get Danish Bornholmer and Aalborg akvavit in BC liqour stores. I highly recommend Swedish if you can find it though. And I do remember getting some from IKEA in Vancouver once.

(it was a pack of little airline-sized bottles which had different flavours)

Oh yeah, and make one IKEA joke and you're fracken dead.

The group I am with is defintiely more of a bar/pub crowd than clubs but its always good to have options.

I just asked two of the coolest people in that country what the best little pubs currently in Stockholm are without any bells and whistles, and the answer is "Tennstopet" as number 1, by far. "Judit och Bertil" was another one, no nonsense. Neat places. You can take their word for it.

Not sure if the OP is still reading this thread or not ... so I guess this is for others going there/ living there.

Archived