The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No Big Bang? New physics model shows universe might have existed forever

key2thecup

The vast majority of the quoted prophecies are "proven" within the same book lol. Hardly makes it a prediction if the result is written by the same group of authors.

If those predictions were actually predictive, It'd make me a believer.

kape. Just... keep your eyes out for a seven-year peace deal. Then stuff will start to happen.

Please you are the troll here, and it seems pretty clear I am far more intelligent that you, I can form a logical debate, all you do is say God exists because the Bible says so, I can find plenty of books that speak of Mr Spock, I can even see him on TV does that mean he is real? Show me some Roman records, show me something from a contemporary source, show some physical evidence. You want to believe go ahead, nothing will ever change your mind and you don't have anything that can change mine, when you have something get back to me, until then knock off the Westboro attitude.

Almolonga, Guatemala.

Caleme, Brazil.

This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RLZBVQz_zc

This, too: http://www.israeltoday.co.il/NewsItem/tabid/178/nid/24348/Default.aspx?article=related_stories

Oh, and don't forget this: http://www.israeltoday.co.il/NewsItem/tabid/178/nid/24811/Default.aspx

Here's another link to compliment the one above: http://www.inquisitr.com/1364461/israel-miracle-gaza-strip-hamas-complain-their-god-changes-the-paths-of-our-rockets-in-mid-air/

Honestly, there's some people that if you were to just hang out with them for a little while, you'd see what Jesus does.

You trust a book written about a Jewish God, yet don't believe books written about Greek, Roman, Egyption, Celtic, or Norse gods.

Yeah... it's because I've seen what God does to make himself real and known, and those Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Celtic, Norse gods, etc. etc. etc. haven't done squat. Now, here's the thing. God is God above gods. Mainly because he can and has done stuff and they can't, haven't and won't. If you want, we can do an Elijah/Prophets of Baal thing here. Except, without the nasty ending.

Actually outside the Gospels (written by unkown authors at unknown times) there is no contemporary record of Jesus, no Roman, Greek or Egyption records, no mention of Jesus or the deciples by any conteporary historian, there are two very brief mentions in Josephus, dismissed by most scholars as forgeries, and a mention in Tacitus of Christians, that is it. Both authors were born a generation after the crucifixion is believe to have happened (no record of that either). There is likely a real man at the heart of it, likely the leader of a minor cult who made little to no impact in his own lifetime, not the supernatural superman the Bible mentions.

Yeah... did you hear what happened to believers for the first however many years after Christ's death?

http://www.gotquestions.org/apostles-die.html

You'd want to keep people that would upset your empire's culture off the records. Same goes for the Pharisees.

Why do I need to explain anything to you? If you want answers find them yourself. I know where I am in life, I know what is true and you can believe whatever you like.

I was like you. Asking others to explain things to me. Pick up the Bible and have a read. It is a fantastic book, even if you choose to view it as fictional.

Good talk.

You really don't understand this whole discussion forum business, do you? You don't need to do anything, but then why are you even here? :rolleyes:

Good talk.

You really don't understand this whole discussion forum business, do you? You don't need to do anything, but then why are you even here? :rolleyes:

Obviously to Troll...this is 'apparently' a thread on physics and all he does is come in here telling us that God will make us burn in hell for believing in science heh

Obviously to Troll...this is 'apparently' a thread on physics and all he does is come in here telling us that God will make us burn in hell for believing in science heh

Yeah, much as I don't want to think that, I can't conclude anything else.

Posting shtty logic is fine, but at least have the courage to address the same shtty logic when it's reversed and applied to your argument. Otherwise you're just being a bitch.

Or maybe we shouldn't cast pearls before swine. That is, cogent arguments before creationists.

Here's a little story of Gautama Siddhartha (Buddha):

One early morning, Gautama was sitting in a congregation of devotees. A man arrived and stood in the shadows. He's a great devotee and a believer in Ramma. These great devotees in India will utter only Ram Ram and everything turns into Ram. Speaking of Ram, seeing of Ram, and he invested his whole life in God.

Age is passing away and little doubt has come. Just a little doubt suppose there is no God. This doubt will come if you invest your entire life in God, "have I wasted my time doing Ram Ram?".

This devotee who had a great reputation within the congregation was wondering how should I ask this question in this stage in his life to get confirmation. So the devotee came this early morning and asked the inevitable question, is there God? Gautama looked at the man and gave a clear no.

The entire congregation hears this and they are relieved. They have all had this question in mind for quite some time but when they asked Gautama he would go silent and say nothing. For whatever reason Gautama finally gave the answer today and joy spread amongst the devotees. The struggle of if there is God or no God is over with, the enlightened one said there is no God. Word spread across the town. Throughout the day celebrations happened. Just imagine the freedom of it: no God means no body is sitting up there keeping accounts of what you did and didn't do. Life is completely yours.

Festivities went on throughout the morning and afternoon. Then in the afternoon when the congregation was back together, a man was standing in the shadows. This man is a child worker. These child workers are materialists and don't believe anything they can't see. Missionaries of God going house to house spreading the God message, Missionaries of no God going house to house spreading the message of no God. This has been happening for thousands of years, people will get together in a village and prove/disprove how there is a/no God. This child worker did the same. He is an expert, he went house to house and spread the word of whatever you see is real, everything else you can't is not real. He in 10 minutes will prove no God no God no God if he talks with someone.

Age is passing and little doubt has risen, "suppose there is God?". When I go there will he torture me since I went about telling everyone God does not exist? I've proven this to thousands of people. Just a little doubt. There's an enlightened being here, he wants to confirm this. So he asks the same inevitable question, is there God? Gautama looks at the man and says yes. Once again the devotees are rejoicing. In the morning he says there's no God, in the evening he says there is God.

So what's the game Gautama is trying to play? If you believe there is God or you believe there is no God, see you're in the same boat. You believe something which you do not know. I believe this you believe that, does it make any difference? You can believe whatever you want. Everyone can believe whatever they like. It may not have anything to do with reality as such. If you say I do not know, the longing to know will arise within you. If the longing arises the seeking arises and if the seeking arises, the possibility of knowing exists.

Same argument that Heretic tried, he also claimed all the records were destroyed with the Library at Alexandra (how convenient) and also that Alexander the Great didn't exist because of no contemporary records. I am not saying there was no Jesus, just that evidence is inconclusive, certainly for the supernateral version whose stories match too many earlier stories from earlier cultures to be a coincidence, it makes more sense to me that we are talking about someone more like the Dalai Lama. Someone who upset the religious order by encouraging people to seek their own connection with their God, to reject what he felt were Roman puppets at the temple who were corrupting their faith. A threat to the Religious hierarchy (and their coffers), not much they could do as the Romans had adminitrative control of the area, he didn't recognize them so telling him to stop wouldn't work, killing him would likely backfire, go to the Roman authorities (who likely hadn't paid much attention to him if he wasn't causing them trouble), and drop a seed of suspicion that he is formulating a rebellion, maybe even pay someone to betray or testify against him, problem solved so they thought. The Resurection (which doesn't appear in the earliest versins of Mark) is likely a metephor for Jesus rising from the tomb through his teachings.

Understandable. I actually agree with you for most of that. Obviously, the resurrection we disagree on, and until Jesus comes back, there's really no argument to sway that one way or another apart from faith. And the supernatural stuff I've seen with my own eyes, so there's that. In fact, lots of people have.

How do you know that these Gods aren't the ones responsible? Maybe they are all one in the same? The Druids had a saying "The one God has Many faces", also notice how the Depictions of the Abrhamic God, Zeus, and Odin all look very similar?

Yes... they're all trying to be God, but they can't be. The Druids were kind of right, especially if you believe in the trinitarian view of God. Considering St. Patrick may have had an influence, it makes sense.

And how do I know that these gods aren't doing what God does? I told you, we can do the whole Mt. Carmel thing. I promise though, I won't do to you what Elijah did to the prophets of Baal.

BTW Brick, you have quite a nerve calling me a troll (and insulting my intelligence simply because I presented an argument you had no answer for). This thread was supposed to be a discussion of the scientific theory of the Big Bang, untill you and Jazz highjacked it with your religious views and turned it into God Thread Version II. If you want to discuss religion or more appropriately impose your Dogma on others maybe start your own Christian/Relgion thread.

... I stated one thing about "religion" and everything blew up. That's why we're at where we're at now.

... I stated one thing about "religion" and everything blew up. That's why we're at where we're at now.

Yup, it's almost like you guys aren't responsible enough (within the parameters of the board rules) to have your own thread, so you need to come in here and take over this one.

It's cool though, I forgive you ;)

So since the bible was written at some point, before it had the chance to get passed down from generation to generation, it wasn't true then, but now it is?

I really doubt that this is how it happened.

I think the stories were passed down from generation to generation and then were finally consolidated into book form at some point.

I also believe that much of the narrative changed with the telling over those generations.

Yup, it's almost like you guys aren't responsible enough (within the parameters of the board rules) to have your own thread, so you need to come in here and take over this one.

It's cool though, I forgive you ;)

Yeah. Sorry about that. What happened to the last thread about religions?

That's really sad.

Well, the 1000 pages part is cool. But the fact that it couldn't be kept civil is very sad.

That thread had it's own version of Brick, a guy named Geeno. There were others (on both sides) who were the issue, but Geeno was the one that likely killed it.

I really doubt that this is how it happened.

I think the stories were passed down from generation to generation and then were finally consolidated into book form at some point.

I also believe that much of the narrative changed with the telling over those generations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Sea_Scrolls#Biblical_significance

That thread had it's own version of Brick, a guy named Geeno. There were others (on both sides) who were the issue, but Geeno was the one that likely killed it.

Yeah. That's very sad. Christians shouldn't be helping things become less civil. But when things become heated, sometimes it's hard to pull yourself away from a fight.

Archived