The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] No Money, No Honey!

Carl's Jn

The price of trading is too high these days... I think the canucks just should stay pat and embrace the youth... everyone who teams are eying now requires a draft pick and a prospect....Price too steep for the Canucks to give up.... Give the youth a chance to rise and shine. What does people think?.

Like it.

Only moves I'd consider are some vets for mid round draft picks, rounds 3-6.

And that could wait until draft day.

not really

some vets have expiring contracts

so they will only have trade value up until the trading deadline

and afterwards are free to sign elsewhere without compensation

but otherwise i agree with the stand pat approach

and rotate in some younger players depending on how the last part of the season goes

The price of trading is too high these days... I think the canucks just should stay pat and embrace the youth... everyone who teams are eying now requires a draft pick and a prospect....Price too steep for the Canucks to give up.... Give the youth a chance to rise and shine. What does people think?.

I don't think you understand how the Proposals sub-forum works.

That, and we could be the team requiring a draft pick and a prospect in trade for one of our veterans, but hey, you've got it all figured out apparently.

I don't think you understand how the Proposals sub-forum works.

That, and we could be the team requiring a draft pick and a prospect in trade for one of our veterans, but hey, you've got it all figured out apparently.

getting beiksa to waive his no trade would be a great start

I agree with the general approach.

Of course, if the Canucks find a deal that will improve the team in the future without harming the chances of making the playoffs they'll take it.

Also, by my count, unless there are players on IRL at the beginning of next season the Canucks have two extra forwards, two extra defencemen and one extra goalie that they won't be able to keep next season. (details below) If they can get something back in trade for some of them, that would save losing assets for nothing.

Forwards:

waiver eligible next season: Daniel (nmc); Henrik (nmc); Burrows (ntc); Bonino; Matthias (ufa); Kassian; Vrbata (lim ntc); Richardson (ufa); Dorsett (ufa); Higgins; Hansen; Vey; McMillan (RFA);

Waiver exempt: Horvat, Kenins {plus prospects not presently with the team}

Total: 15, of which 13 are waiver eligible. The waiver exempt players are Horvat, who pretty clearly has earned a spot for next year, with the other being Kenins who appears likely in the process of earning a permanent spot.

They'd normally expect to keep 13 on the roster plus injury callups, though could keep 14 and only 7 defencemen. I haven't included Sestito.

Defence:

waiver eligible next season: Edler (ntc); Bieksa (ntc) Hamhuis (ntc); Sbisa (RFA); Tanev (RFA); Weber (RFA); Stanton (RFA); Clendening (RFA); Corrado; Biega (UFA) (I haven't included Sanguinetti (UFA.))

waiver exempt: none, other than prospects not with the Canucks.

Total: 10, all waiver eligible, not including Sanguinetti. The Canucks would normally keep 8 plus injury callups.

Note that injury callups are players that would have to pass through waivers next pre-season unless the Canucks start the season with someone on the IRL.

Goal: waiver eligible: Miller (modified ntc); Lack; [and Markstrom will be a RFA and waiver eligible]

It's rare for a team to keep any number of goalies other than 2.

So, essentially, the Canucks have two too many forwards, two too many defencemen and one extra goaltender for next season, to be moved or let go somehow. They could change the numbers to one extra forward and three extra defencemen by keeping 14 forwards and 7 defencemen as they did before waiving Sestito this season.

Archived