The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sedins / Kassian (observation)

casualty

We'll see how long the momentum carries, he's certainly not the first to have an immediate impact on the Sedin line (Anson Carter, Burrows, Hansen, Vrbata, etc.). The real question is how long he can sustain the success. We haven't really seen a consistent goal scorer on that line since Alex Burrows put up multiple of 25+ goal seasons. Let's hope he can keep it up for the sake of his confidence as well.

The Sedins are average defensive players and do get hemmed in their own zone. However, they are elite offensive players who have tons of extended shifts in the offensive zone which will skew the advanced stats in their favour. That doesn't mean they are great defensively nor does their good plus/minus which is also helped a lot by their outstanding offensive skill and point production.

The fact is neither Sedin is in a position to look down their nose at Kassian in terms of defensive prowess. Anyway, I just hope this line can keep dominating and throwing the puck around like they were against the Islanders. Any Canucks fan who wasn't smiling when Kassian barged into the scrum to protect D. Sedin doesn't remember the Marchand incident.

I wonder if Zack will ever lead an NHL team in scoring as Hodgson did at 23/24 years of age?

How about second in NHL team scoring as Hodgson recorded at 22/23 years of age?

I know Hodgson is having a rough year with his coach but he still has 100%+ more career points than Kassian.

Ironically, Hodgson is tenth amongst Buffalo forwards in scoring while Zach is 13th amongst Canucks forwards.

Key word in all of that is Buffalo. He led Buffalo in scoring. And saying he is having a tough year with his coach is a mute point, cause the same could be said for Kassian. If Zack puts his size and skill together like he seems to be learning to do, then yes I could see him 1-3 on a team in scoring for sure. You are right, Zack is 13th on his team in scoring, but I have a feeling he will be much higher than that come the end of the season, and next year.

We'll see how long the momentum carries, he's certainly not the first to have an immediate impact on the Sedin line (Anson Carter, Burrows, Hansen, Vrbata, etc.). The real question is how long he can sustain the success. We haven't really seen a consistent goal scorer on that line since Alex Burrows put up multiple of 25+ goal seasons. Let's hope he can keep it up for the sake of his confidence as well.

This for once is a great problem to have for the Sedins. Seems like their whole careers they have seached for that "one guy" to play with them. Where as now, once Burrows is back, they have not just "one guy" but three guys that have had success with them in Burrows, Vrbata, and Kassian. All three players bring a different look and a different skill type to the line. Which means on any given night, depending on opponent etc. the Sedin line could have someone different with them and have a different look and still be effective night in and night out. Like I said, great problem to have.

Key word in all of that is Buffalo. He led Buffalo in scoring. And saying he is having a tough year with his coach is a mute point, cause the same could be said for Kassian. If Zack puts his size and skill together like he seems to be learning to do, then yes I could see him 1-3 on a team in scoring for sure. You are right, Zack is 13th on his team in scoring, but I have a feeling he will be much higher than that come the end of the season, and next year.

Put Kassian on Buffalo's third and fourth line on that team getting blown out every night and it's a similar story.

Have Nolan play him four or five minutes a night with no Matthias or Sedins but a Stafford,McCormick and a Mitchell.

What would the reaction of CDC would be if WD played Kassian four minutes a night?

They want to kill him now because their poor Zack is being treated all unfair.

Put Kassian on Buffalo's third and fourth line on that team getting blown out every night and it's a similar story.

Have Nolan play him four or five minutes a night with no Matthias or Sedins but a Stafford,McCormick and a Mitchell.

What would the reaction of CDC would be if WD played Kassian four minutes a night?

They want to kill him now because their poor Zack is being treated all unfair.

Does anyone else find it incredibly ironic that you piss and moan about Kassian but are so apologetic for poor Cody?

If Hodgson wasn't such a pampered prima donna maybe he would realize that he can't have daddy fight all his battles and make teams give him what he wants. He has to earn it but he doesn't want to. Say what you want about Kassian, at least he has responded by putting the work in to improve his lot and has taken accountability for his own situation.

Even if Kassian never turns into more than he is now the Canucks are far better off just having gotten rid of Hodgson.

Hodgson deserves every ounce of his treatment this season by Nolan.

Kassian has had one and a half games with the Sedins. Prior to that he was exclusively in the bottom 6. And Matthias was not carrying him. That whole line was playing well together especially lately.

Does anyone else find it incredibly ironic that you piss and moan about Kassian but are so apologetic for poor Cody?

If Hodgson wasn't such a pampered prima donna maybe he would realize that he can't have daddy fight all his battles and make teams give him what he wants. He has to earn it but he doesn't want to. Say what you want about Kassian, at least he has responded by putting the work in to improve his lot and has taken accountability for his own situation.

Even if Kassian never turns into more than he is now the Canucks are far better off just having gotten rid of Hodgson.

Hodgson deserves every ounce of his treatment this season by Nolan.

Kassian has had one and a half games with the Sedins. Prior to that he was exclusively in the bottom 6. And Matthias was not carrying him. That whole line was playing well together especially lately.

This was more my point than anything. If you want to hate or dislike Kassian for what you feel he has done or not done in Vancouver then that is fine, your deal. But don't be butt-hurt and dislike him because he happened to be the guy that got traded for Cody Hodgson! How the *%&^ is that Kassian's fault? Plus the fact that every knock you have on Kassian can pretty well be put on Co-Ho too, in which he gets defended for. The difference here is that, I do not go about ripping Cody Hodgson apart on a daily basis. In fact, I am quite happy to have Zack Kassian over Co-Ho. Let's not forget the fact that HE WANTED OUT of Vancouver. Don't poor Co-Ho, boo-hoo he got traded when he wanted to be traded. Bottom line was he wanted more ice time, and at center then it wasn't going to happen. Just like right now, as well as he is playing, it isn't going to happen for Horvat. Co-Ho could take a page from Bo-Ho's book (yep I went there) and just be there when called upon and play hard. And yes, I DO realize this applies to Zack Kassian. Yes, I DO realize Kassian has things to improve on. Yes, I DO know he is not perfect. But I can also see his upside. I can also see the progress he has made. I can also see he is actually trying to figure things out. I would love for Kassian to be apart of the future in Vancouver, that is certainly well known. But if he does happen to get traded sure am I not going to be butt-hurt and blame the guy he gets traded for.

Archived