The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sedins / Kassian (observation)

casualty

Have you ever heard them do that? Are you under the impression they go up to WD each day and say, in unison "Kassian? Yeah, #$@% that guy! Can't back check for &*#$."

Both twins have gone on-record (when being asked) and stated that he needs to improve his consistency. They also both said he'll be amazing (and brings a lot to the team) when he does.

Lo and behold, he's doing it and being rewarded.

I don't understand why people are upset about that?

Hank is +200 on his career and I'm sure the nerdier stats support him as well.. not like he's cherry picking out there.

+\- again? Seriously it is a useless stand alone stat especially for players in offense only roles. I woukd argue that Burrowing on their line for so long providing a defensive conscience had far more impact than their own average at best defensive play.

The Sedins are fantastic players and hard workers. But they are not good defensive players at all.

+\- again? Seriously it is a useless stand alone stat especially for players in offense only roles. I woukd argue that Burrowing on their line for so long providing a defensive conscience had far more impact than their own average at best defensive play.

The Sedins are fantastic players and hard workers. But they are not good defensive players at all.

What are you basing the poor defensive play on? You can cherry pick instances where Datsyuk doesn't look good - what is your criteria if not underlying statistics?

The bottom line is, if the Sedins are "average" it's relative because they're against top-flight opposition. I'm not saying they're elite shutdown guys, but they work hard and if anyone has the right to tell Kassian (who will NEVER be a shut-down guy himself) what he's doing wrong it's them.

I like what Sedins say about effort and consistency rather than WD (or was it Benning's?) comments about him playing more physical. Zack can be perfectly effective without throwing big hits and being a grinder, so long as he maintains his effort at both ends.

Any player put on the Sedin line at this time will succeed .... Especially Kassian

I disagree. Hansen has been tried there in the past and although he's always been an effective bottom six player, he has had relatively little success playing with Hank and Dan...

Both twins have gone on-record (when being asked) and stated that he needs to improve his consistency. They also both said he'll be amazing (and brings a lot to the team) when he does.

Lo and behold, he's doing it and being rewarded.

I don't understand why people are upset about that?

But he's not being "rewarded". He was only in against the Devils because of Burrows' injury. If Burr was able to go, Kassian was slated to be a healthy scratch yet again...

But he's not being "rewarded". He was only in against the Devils because of Burrows' injury. If Burr was able to go, Kassian was slated to be a healthy scratch yet again...

I meant today, but even last game Willie could have easily kept Vrbata with the twins.

I don't like Kass sitting either, but the Canucks have a lot more depth on the wing, especially with Kenins coming in all gangbusters. The fact Hansen and Higgins both kill penalties doesn't help Zack either. For example, Vey would be seeing a lot more time in the press box if we weren't decimated down the middle.

That all being said, I don't think Kassian should get the red carpet, but moving a vet winger or two to make some room and snag a pick or two wouldn't be a bad idea.

What the OP is saying is, let Kassian get away with the odd defensive gaffe in light of his offensive output.

What WD (and the Sedins, when asked) say is, why can't we have both the offense and the defense? Until Kassian is traded away, that's what the Canucks are working towards.

Question would be, is there any way to motivate the guy without benching him?

this

burrows says hi as well

he does all the grunt work on that line

if kass stays there he needs to start grunting

Seriously? Still degrading superstars to prop up your beloved Kassian.

Spend a minute and list up Kassian's NHL and International play awards/achievements and I will spend a few hours listing the twins.

The twins were playing in the Swedish Elite League at 16 years of age and had won four medals over eight International World Juniors and World Men's championships at age 24.

That long shift was nice-looking, but didn't lead to any shots, and then they were all bagged coming back, leading to Horvat having to take a hooking penalty right off the bench when the bagged line headed off as fast as they could. This is the Sedins to a tee when the long shift doesn't lead to a goal.

Hank leads the team in +- right now despite facing the toughest quality of competition according to behind the net.

Say what you want but to me that indicates that he isn't as bad defensively as you are saying he is.

Spend a minute and list up Kassian's NHL and International play awards/achievements and I will spend a few hours listing the twins.

The twins were playing in the Swedish Elite League at 16 years of age and had won four medals over eight International World Juniors and World Men's championships at age 24.

I actually agree with Wallstreet. The twins have an amazing plus minus because of their offense.

Watch when they are out with anyone else besides Kassian. Every few shifts per game, they will get hemmed in regardless of who they play with.

Its funny that the Kass haters point out these few shifts today because it actually happens to the Sedins every game. The bright side is, they are usually on the winning end of the plus minus despite a few of these shifts per game because of their ability to finish in the offensive zone.

The issue is that they are intelligent, cerebral players that aren't quick on their feet. So they watch the play in their own zone and try to get in the shooting and passing lanes but don't force the issue to cause turnovers. So they play more passively and try to keep the other team to the outside. That's why they are hemmed in.

What does saying the Sedins are average defensive players have to do with Kassian?

Here is a news flash for you. I don't care much what any player does outside of the NHL once they are NHL players because it is meaningless in terms of their NHL play.

The Sedins are not great defensive players. They are average at best defensive players. It is not a put down or insult to them, it is simply the truth. That doesn't mean I am "degrading them" either. I have said consistently that they are great people, great players, great leaders, etc. etc. etc.

Criticism based on reality does not equal degrading a player. What you do to Kassian constitutes degrading a player irrationally.

Hank leads the team in +- right now despite facing the toughest quality of competition according to behind the net.

Say what you want but to me that indicates that he isn't as bad defensively as you are saying he is.

For future reference to anyone responding to my posts:

+/- is a totally useless stand alone stat for determining the defensive acumen of any individual player. I don't believe it has any use as a defensive indicator because it relies on offense as well.

Any argument coming at me with "but but but +/- says they are elite defenders" will be met with nothing but scorn. I get that you think the Sedins are perfect but the reality is that they are average defenders at best.

Calling an NHL player "average" defensively is not calling them bad defensively and it is not insulting to them. Quit being overly sensitive about things.

I see Hank is a couple assists shy of 700 for his career,thus entering the top 50 of all NHL players in history.

I was going over the plugs he and Dan played with over the years.

When the twins were 23 years of age they played with Jason King on the 'Mattress Line'.

Jason managed 12 goals and 9 assists before being sent to the AHL. It was the end of his NHL career but he still put up 21 points in 47 games with the twins feeding him nuggets.

Henrik managed 54 points playing third line minutes with a guy that never scored in the NHL again.

I see Hank is a couple assists shy of 700 for his career,thus entering the top 50 of all NHL players in history.

I was going over the plugs he and Dan played with over the years.

When the twins were 23 years of age they played with Jason King on the 'Mattress Line'.

Jason managed 12 goals and 9 assists before being sent to the AHL. It was the end of his NHL career but he still put up 21 points in 47 games with the twins feeding him nuggets.

Henrik managed 54 points playing third line minutes with a guy that never scored in the NHL again.

Kassian has scored more goals in the last 2 games than your beloved Cody has scored in his last 56.

Gillis 1

nuck nit 0

Archived