The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Are You Currently Reading?

dank.sinatra

On ‎2016‎年‎2‎月‎13‎日 at 9:48 AM, Mathew Barzal said:

East of Eden... I'm in love with it.

Man EoE is a brilliant read.

Consider the rapid development of California, & it's global influence through factors such as the film industry(soft power).

Then apply that same trajectory to Vancouver(Cdn west coast), & there appear so many parallels.

See your comment was months back..have you read any other Steinbeck?

9 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

if anyone is interested in reading Infinite Jest, there's a summer reading club being hosted on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/infinitesummer 

it includes discussion, weekly reading goals, etc. 

I think it's about 75 pages a week. First week starts today. I'm still not entirely sure if I'll join because I'm in the middle of another book I don't want to put down and it requires far too much effort (Ulysses). But I sorta wanna do this too.

/r/badliterature is furrowing its brow.

The French translation of IJ happens to be out within the next week, I believe, for anyone looking to improve their competency in the language. :-) I'll be reading it with the English edition.

Meanwhile I just picked up DeLillo's White Noise. It's nice. I have Underworld on the bookshelf for later.

Just finished Boys in the Boat. I've never set foot (or arse) in any shell before, but the book was great. It's more than a book about sports, it's about a unique group of outliers who conquer despite all odds.

It bounces around, rather abruptly at times, between events in the US and goings on in Germany, but it didn't detract too much from the boys' story. The world was yet to go to war with Germany, but here were a bunch of kids going on men with nothing to lose going to "battle" against themselves, their own countrymen, and the rest of the world in lakes all over it. If you're a fan of historical narratives, and want an easy, feel-good read, this book belongs at the top of your list.

Ian C Esslemont Dancer's Lament. A new series by Esslemont which takes place before the events in Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen and Esslemont's Malazan books which were written in conjunction with Erikson as they created the Malazan world together.

I am waiting for Fall of Light by Steven Erikson, which is book 2 of the Kharkanas Trilogy.

I've been on a little Hemingway rampage since January. If I give them scores out of 10 like the movie thread it would be:

The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories: 8
Winner Take Nothing:  8
A Farewell To Arms:  7  (this would have been higher if it wasn't for that ending)
Men Without Women:  7
In Our Time:  7                     
Green Hills of Africa:  6 (Hem killing rhinos in real life + having a tent with drawn warm bath and a cook = total dick)   
To Have and Have Not:  6      
A Moveable Feast:  5 (loved the descriptions of Paris but good lord what a festival of wanking)

Have read a few others of his in the past but still have five that will be new to me. Yay.

At this very moment I'm trying to decide between The Pastures of Heaven, In Cold Blood, Under the Volcano, The Plague, Dubliners, and The Sirens of Titan. I pick them up, look at the covers, smell them, put them down, walk away, come back, rinse and repeat. (I came online to look at ratings, seriously having a hard time deciding, ha)

I just finished reading Born on a Blue Day by Daniel Tammet, an autobiography written by a man with Asperger's that has savant syndrome. He can do complex math calculations quickly in his mind, can recite pi to over 22K decimal places, and can learn a new language within one week. Fascinating man, and a great read.

I just started rereading my favorite book: The Things the Carried by Tim O'Brien. It's a fiction novel based loosely on the author's time fighting for the US in the Vietnam war. It's chapters read more like short stories (the story lines are interconnected, but can easily stand on their on). Highly recommend!

15 hours ago, Svengali said:

I've been on a little Hemingway rampage since January. If I give them scores out of 10 like the movie thread it would be:

The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories: 8
Winner Take Nothing:  8
A Farewell To Arms:  7  (this would have been higher if it wasn't for that ending)
Men Without Women:  7
In Our Time:  7                     
Green Hills of Africa:  6 (Hem killing rhinos in real life + having a tent with drawn warm bath and a cook = total dick)   
To Have and Have Not:  6      
A Moveable Feast:  5 (loved the descriptions of Paris but good lord what a festival of wanking)

Have read a few others of his in the past but still have five that will be new to me. Yay.

At this very moment I'm trying to decide between The Pastures of Heaven, In Cold Blood, Under the Volcano, The Plague, Dubliners, and The Sirens of Titan. I pick them up, look at the covers, smell them, put them down, walk away, come back, rinse and repeat. (I came online to look at ratings, seriously having a hard time deciding, ha)

you doin papa all wrong with these nasty ratings.

i strongly rec Dubliners if you're lookin for more short stories. 

11 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

you doin papa all wrong with these nasty ratings.

i strongly rec Dubliners if you're lookin for more short stories. 

It's the 5 for A Moveable Feast, isn't it? Felt awfully good to type it.

Always into more short stories, had it down to The Pastures of Heaven and Dubliners last night for that reason. Also it'll be my first time reading him. (bought it after deciding it'd be a "tame introduction" to him since the Finnegans Wake I leafed through looked like it required a certain level of bat$&!#craziness to absorb)

2 minutes ago, Svengali said:

It's the 5 for A Moveable Feast, isn't it? Felt awfully good to type it.

Always into more short stories, had it down to The Pastures of Heaven and Dubliners last night for that reason. Also it'll be my first time reading him. (bought it after deciding it'd be a "tame introduction" to him since the Finnegans Wake I leafed through looked like it required a certain level of bat$&!#craziness to absorb)

make sure you read Joyce's personal love letters, too. please.

give them a rating, too

4 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

make sure you read Joyce's personal love letters, too. please.

give them a rating, too

After a quick google: "Goodnight, my little farting Nora, my dirty little $&!#bird!"

Well, it's already an 11.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reading the final book in The Red Trilogy. It took me a bit to warm up to the first book, but I've really enjoyed the series so far.

• 5 weeks later...

13754482_1392105084137890_11484365833114

13781881_1392105070804558_14253466046123

So, Alan Moore's 1000+ page monolith is being released in a boxset of three for anyone who doesn't want to hold one single giant book. If available in this manner in Canada, I'll definitely give this a try. 

Just a month or so away from release. 

I've recently gotten into Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Book 5 begins tonight. I'm honestly a little ashamed that I haven't delved into this series before now, it is something of a standard in the fantasy genre. So far I've really enjoyed it; possibly a little over-hyped, but still a really solid read.

Out of curiosity, has anyone read anything by Brent Weeks other than the Night Angel trilogy? That was the last series of books I read that I couldn't put down, I'm wondering if he has anything else out that compares.

• 2 weeks later...