The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Are You Currently Reading?

dank.sinatra

9 minutes ago, Svengali said:

Ha, yeah I did, that's a nice one. And a nice gift as well. (mine was in a collection, it's so short I take it your gift was an illustrated book?)

And yeah I'll try Willy. I have a copy of The Taming of the Shrew (sounds so naughty) in my to-read pile that is indeed from a school ... every page is filled with notes and underlined sentences, it might be far too distracting. Hmmm, or maybe super helpful, haha.

(I'm still kind of in "Celtic mode" and want to try out more Yeats before I attempt Willy though ... I'll do the same thing again, one book of collected poems/stories and if I like it go get a huge stack and dig in, it was a neat way to do it)

yeah, it was a small edition with illustrations 

I don't remember Taming of the Shrew at all, and it may actually be one of the few comedies I didn't read. Merry Wives of Windsor being another I never, ever came across

~*~*Keats n  Yeats are on ur side, but u lose bc  Wii-iilde is on mine*~*~

Edited by GLASSJAW

8 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Just started the new Bruce Springsteen book.

I thought about grabbing that, but I find musician autobiographies to be just too exhausting most of the time. too many details that should be skipped over

i still have PTSD from struggling through the Keith Richards book

14 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

yeah, it was a small edition with illustrations 

I don't remember Taming of the Shrew at all, and it may actually be one of the few comedies I didn't read. Merry Wives of Windsor being another I never, ever came across

~*~*Keats n  Yeats are on ur side, but u lose bc  Wii-iilde is on mine*~*~

And now listing to Cemetery Gates because of you and it's so nice with the snow coming down.

I read Keef's Every Single Second of My Life a couple years ago and really liked it, but I do remember the first 150 pages (of 75,000) being such an incredible slog ...

3 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

I thought about grabbing that, but I find musician autobiographies to be just too exhausting most of the time. too many details that should be skipped over

i still have PTSD from struggling through the Keith Richards book

I'll let ya know.

funny thing is it's my first musicians autobiography.

it was a gift as well so.

Edited by riffraff

Took my time, and finished Moonwalking with Einstein sometime last month.  It was pretty good.  Definitely enjoyed the story, but was a little disappointed that the memory training was of limited use for everyday life.  Interesting to see how well the memory palace works (I can still remember most of his "shopping list", and it's a good process for learning some things like the list of Presidents, lengths of terms and other interesting facts, in case I tried again to get on to Millionaire (memory palace works too slow for Jeopardy!).  

I just wish it could be a better tool for my job, but work is just too fast-paced.

Got what looked to be a fun book for Christmas. Life Moves Pretty Fast: The Lessons We Learned from Eighties Movies (and Why We Don't Learn Them from Movies Anymore), by Hadley Freeman.  When I unwrapped it, it looked pretty cool, but then I made the mistake of reading reviews, and now I'm worried about it, as many suggest the author uses the book as a political sandbox.  Oh well, we'll see how it goes.  I'm back to re-reading some Steven Brust for now, some of the more recent ones in the Vlad series.  

Always been a huge Vampire Chronicles fan by Anne Rice and re-reading Memloch the Devil. I've always loved the character of the Vampire Lestat. Been following his life from the 1800's to the present. He's this dark broody loner type of vampire and all the ups and down of his life through the centuries are very well written. Definately a recommended read if you are into vampires. 

• Upvote 1

On 09/01/2017 at 6:47 PM, Kragar said:

Took my time, and finished Moonwalking with Einstein sometime last month.  It was pretty good.  Definitely enjoyed the story, but was a little disappointed that the memory training was of limited use for everyday life.  Interesting to see how well the memory palace works (I can still remember most of his "shopping list", and it's a good process for learning some things like the list of Presidents, lengths of terms and other interesting facts, in case I tried again to get on to Millionaire (memory palace works too slow for Jeopardy!).  

I just wish it could be a better tool for my job, but work is just too fast-paced.

Got what looked to be a fun book for Christmas. Life Moves Pretty Fast: The Lessons We Learned from Eighties Movies (and Why We Don't Learn Them from Movies Anymore), by Hadley Freeman.  When I unwrapped it, it looked pretty cool, but then I made the mistake of reading reviews, and now I'm worried about it, as many suggest the author uses the book as a political sandbox.  Oh well, we'll see how it goes.  I'm back to re-reading some Steven Brust for now, some of the more recent ones in the Vlad series.  

I stumbled into this book in my 3rd year of university.  I thought I had hit the jackpot, until I realized how much work was involved. Still, the memory palace is such an easy concept...and works, but I was always a repetitive learner and could never really trust myself to let go and give the technique an honest try. Now that I'm done school maybe I'll give it another shot.

just finished the Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited entry in Bloomsbury's 33 1/3 series. the series is so spotty. I've now read 3 entries, and the Dylan one is by far the best. the worst of the lot is the (gag) fictional "contextual appreciation" for The Smiths' Meat is Murder, which I bought thinking it would be some sort of history/biography of the album's antecedents or composition. NOPE.

Anyway, I'll keep digging into the series from time to time. theyre so short, and this Dylan one was fantastic so I have hope for the series yet.

Huh, didn't know this thread existed. I do the Pulitzer, Giller, and Man Booker shortlists every year. Currently working through Giller:

- Zoe Whittall - The Best Kind of People - Examines rape culture, the effects on a community and a family. Explores how the presumption of innocence is almost implicit. Only criticism would be the lack of a positive straight male character in the entire book. 

- Emma Donoghue - The Wonder - Finished this one in two sittings. It's a very well written thriller about a child who 'miraculously' goes without eating for 4 months. Kept me on the edge wondering how such a thing was possible.

Currently on the winner, Do Not Say We Have Nothing by Madeleine Thien. This one reminded me of the Goldfinch by Donna Tartt  a few years back. It is expansive, covering two revolutions in China, right up to Tienanmen Square in 1989, to ultimately arriving in Canada as immigrants. The tale follows the struggle of the individual working within an oppressive system. It has some really beautiful connections to classical music. The book has been informative to me in understanding what Canada means to recent immigrants, and of preserving their prior culture. 

-------

Looking forward to the conclusion of the Natchez Burning  trilogy in March!

16 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Huh, didn't know this thread existed. I do the Pulitzer, Giller, and Man Booker shortlists every year. Currently working through Giller:

- Zoe Whittall - The Best Kind of People - Examines rape culture, the effects on a community and a family. Explores how the presumption of innocence is almost implicit. Only criticism would be the lack of a positive straight male character in the entire book. 

- Emma Donoghue - The Wonder - Finished this one in two sittings. It's a very well written thriller about a child who 'miraculously' goes without eating for 4 months. Kept me on the edge wondering how such a thing was possible.

Currently on the winner, Do Not Say We Have Nothing by Madeleine Thien. This one reminded me of the Goldfinch by Donna Tartt  a few years back. It is expansive, covering two revolutions in China, right up to Tienanmen Square in 1989, to ultimately arriving in Canada as immigrants. The tale follows the struggle of the individual working within an oppressive system. It has some really beautiful connections to classical music. The book has been informative to me in understanding what Canada means to recent immigrants, and of preserving their prior culture. 

-------

Looking forward to the conclusion of the Natchez Burning  trilogy in March!

Nice. I just purchased that last month. Can't wait to read it.

Currently reading All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr.

4 hours ago, Canuck_83 said:

Nice. I just purchased that last month. Can't wait to read it.

Currently reading All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr.

Ha! My favourite book of last year, let me know what you think. He does an excellent job with the historical component as well as weaving the symbolism of light. 

19 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Ha! My favourite book of last year, let me know what you think. He does an excellent job with the historical component as well as weaving the symbolism of light. 

Will do. 

Unfortunately, it might take me awhile to finish it. LOL

Just finished The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill. Exceptional scope of the book, covering the slave trade up to the abolition in Britain. I sort of left it on my shelf for ages avoiding it due to the heavy themes, but it wasn't so bad. I'm looking forward to reading The Illegal by the same author, should be relevant to our current political climate. 

On 1/9/2017 at 5:47 PM, Kragar said:

Following up on my earlier post, as I have gotten through about half of the Hadley Freeman book.  The introduction was awesome, and got me excited about what was to come.  She seemed to have some good insight on things, and input from so many of the actors, directors and writers involved is a plus as you read through the book.  But, the reviews are worthy of notice, too.  The first chapter about abortion (ok, Dirty Dancing) didn't bother me as much as the Amazon reviews suggested it might, but the tone of the book does get tiring.  She does cover a lot of good movies, but it gets so boring with her rants.  Some of the chapters hardly mention the movie it is supposed to be about, going on for pages on other movies that piss her off.

I'll still plod through it, although since I haven't seen all the movies listed, I may skip those to spare my blood pressure a little.

finished "missing out: praise of the unlived life" by adam phillips - i quite enjoyed it, actually. wasn't as dense or jargon-y as i was fearing, but also wasn't dishing out epiphanies left and right either. 

also started Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. i want to love this so much because it just SEEMS like it should be right up my alley. i stopped watching the mini series just so i could read the books first, too. hilary mantel is very talented when it comes to creating atmosphere and really building an environment (or maybe that's just my imagination filling in the gaps because i'm so interested in this subject). but, I HATE TO SAY IT, her style is just so taxing to me. it seems so shallow yet complicated and blocky without being rewarding

a stylist like cormac mccarthy creates a tone and atmosphere with his weird grammar and conversation style -- it's fluid even if it's somewhat confusing at times. Mantel's wording only occasionally seems time-appropriate, and jumps around with its time and characters so much that there's just an awful lot to keep track of, and so far none of it really goes anywhere. and i'm complaining about this after having just read Ulysses, too...

it's gotten to the point where on the last few pages there's been a number of instances where she writes "He, Cromwell, goes outside ...."  -- like, she knows she's jumping around so much and uses "he" so often that she has to re-set the perspective. it just feels so unnatural to me. 

Edited by GLASSJAW