The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Recall] Sven Baertschi Recalled by Vancouver

Smiley2051

Is this the reality that the old guard and the new regime only play their own picks?

..are people being passed over?

imho I want to see a big body like Gaunce/Grenier or even Archie...I'm beginning to wonder...hope it's not the case.

The playoffs are for warriors only not perimeter players.

Is this the reality that the old guard and the new regime only play their own picks?

..are people being passed over?

imho I want to see a big body like Gaunce/Grenier or even Archie...I'm beginning to wonder...hope it's not the case.

The playoffs are for warriors only not perimeter players.

You make a good point about call ups being selective, but at this point Baertschi is/was the best player in Utica. I think with JB it will be less about calling up a role player or a definite bottom 6 to fill a bottom 6 spot, as opposed to calling up the best player at the time and having them play anywhere. Injuries to Richardson and Kassian should warrant some size and grind coming up, though the call ups have been Kenins and Baertschi. Prior to Kenins call up, he was arguably Utica's hardest worker, and you could see that in his early call up.

At this point, as much as I'd like to see what Archie or Grenier bring, they've been beat out by Kenins and Baertschi respectively. Kenins for work ethic, Baertschi for scoring.

Though I will entertain the idea that JB has his guys, but they don't extend solely to who he's drafted. He's gone on record pumping up Cassels, says he likes Gaunce, and believes Jensen could be a solid 3rd line contributer (from the sirius prospect radio show... i'll find it.). Conversely, there have been reports of Benning shopping Shinkaruk.

I think with this management group it's a matter of being able to play on the 4th line in addition to contributing. Guys like Gaunce, and Cassels fit this mold, while someone like Archibald is there solely for his presence.

As long as it remains an objective overview for the best man up...we can't afford lapses in our call ups (like Beartschi's penalty comes to mind) I like his upside but when our D was getting pushed around we need to answer physically. esp because every game is in playoff mode now. I feel Gaunce has earned a call up too.

He's a pretty typical offensive-minded rookie. Sloppy defensively, stupid penalties but his skill really shines at times.

The kid needs to learn how to play without the puck and hopefully he'll get to put up some points before we scould him and send him back down to Utica.

Has anyone been pissed at the amount the Sedins cough up the puck lately? Seen it pretty often and kind of surprised, to be honest.

It's more players than just the Sedins. If it wasn't for the Sedins and Vrbata that game would have been out of reach by the end of the 2nd period.

Archived