The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ultra-fast charging, cheap, safe aluminum battery developed at Stanford outperforms lithium batteries

Webster6

Stanford University scientists have invented the first high-performance aluminum battery that's fast-charging, long-lasting and inexpensive. Researchers say the new technology offers a safe alternative to many commercial batteries in wide use today.

http://phys.org/news/2015-04-ultra-fast-aluminum-battery-safe-alternative.html

2v3sxv4.jpg

"We have developed a rechargeable aluminum battery that may replace existing storage devices, such as alkaline batteries, which are bad for the environment, and lithium-ion batteries, which occasionally burst into flames. Our new battery won't catch fire, even if you drill through it."

said Hongjie Dai, a professor of chemistry at Stanford

Durability is another important factor. Aluminum batteries developed at other laboratories usually died after just 100 charge-discharge cycles. But the Stanford battery was able to withstand more than 7,500 cycles without any loss of capacity.

"This was the first time an ultra-fast aluminum-ion battery was constructed with stability over thousands of cycles," the authors wrote. By comparison, a typical lithium-ion battery lasts about 1,000 cycles.

Another feature of the aluminum battery is flexibility: You can bend it and fold it, so it has the potential for use in flexible electronic devices. Aluminum is also a cheaper metal than lithium.

Further information

https://energy.stanford.edu/news/aluminum-battery-stanford-offers-safe-alternative-conventional-batteries

http://phys.org/news/2015-03-imaging-technique-formation-aluminum-alloys.html#inlRlv

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/04/150406121031.htm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3027399/The-battery-recharges-MINUTE-Experts-build-cheap-flexible-power-pack-aluminium.html

I´m telling you guys.

the future of transportation, at least for automobiles, is eletric...

why have outdated piston engines when you can have highly efficient eletric engines?

I've always told people.. "Think about how old most of the technologies you frequently use are. Then realize the internal combustion engine is over 100 years old."

Anyways in regards to the bolded, maybe land vehicles will soon be mostly electric, but as far as planes and jets, I think they'll still be using jet fuel for much much longer.

With regards to the future being electric base, it's pretty obvious. Unfortunately, it's never really a technology issue, it's more of a energy supply issue and the most cost-effective and the method with the least impact to the environment.

As for new batteries made out of aluminium, what are the chances that it will cripple the rare earth metal industry? Most of the market (80%?) is dominated by the Chinese.

I've always told people.. "Think about how old the most of the technologies you frequently use are. Then realize the internal combustion engine is over 100 years old."

Anyways in regards to the bolded, maybe land vehicles will soon be mostly electric, but as far as planes and jets, I think they'll still be using jet fuel for much much longer.

yes but there´s a big difference...

Jet engines use a diferent tecnology than the piston engines. which basically allows the engine to deliver much more power with a small size and they´re more efficient and generate less heat (comparing with the piston engine generating the same amount of power)

just to compare. a 6 cylinder piston engine used by the Piper Navajo generate 300HP each, the turboprop engine PT6 is a little bigger than the Navajo´s engine but generate more than twice of power and with the advantage that the PT6 can fly faster, higher and the time between the maintenance is a lot bigger...

Lycoming O-540

Performance

PT6A (the very basic one)

Performance

the reaction/jet engine allows you improve each section separately without decrease the engine performance because it´s not a single part.

on a piston engine if you improve the compression ratio you will very probably decrease other performances such as increasing the fuel consumption or increasing the operational temperature...

yes but there´s a big difference...

Jet engines use a diferent tecnology than the piston engines. which basically allows the engine to deliver much more power with a small size and they´re more efficient and generate less heat (comparing with the piston engine generating the same amount of power)

just to compare. a 6 cylinder piston engine used by the Piper Navajo generate 300HP each, the turboprop engine PT6 is a little bigger than the Navajo´s engine but generate more than twice of power and with the advantage that the PT6 can fly faster, higher and the time between the maintenance is a lot bigger...

Lycoming O-540

Performance

PT6A (the very basic one)

Performance

the reaction/jet engine allows you improve each section separately without decrease the engine performance because it´s not a single part.

on a piston engine if you improve the compression ratio you will very probably decrease other performances such as increasing the fuel consumption or increasing the operational temperature...

Very very interesting stuff, thanks for the post. However I'm hoping we don't derail the thread right out the gate so I'm gonna jump back to battery talk..

So if this becomes the standard.. Will phones/computers be guilt free? Or is there another obstacle to overcome? I suppose there's the oil burned during component/unit transportation, but we're also on our way to reducing the environmental impact of that.

In any case, there's soon gonna be one less inhumane reason factoring into the placement of boots on the ground in Afghanistan, since the lithium supply in the mountains there will becoming less and less of a necessity.

Very very interesting stuff, thanks for the post. However I'm hoping we don't derail the thread right out the gate so I'm gonna jump back to battery talk..

So if this becomes the standard.. Will phones/computers be guilt free? Or is that another obstacle to overcome? I suppose there's the oil burned during component/unit transportation, but we're also on our way to reducing the environmental impact of that.

In any case, there's soon gonna be one less inhumane reason factoring into the placement of boots on the ground in Afghanistan, since the lithium supply in the mountains there will becoming less and less of a necessity.

for me super :)

I always believed that the eletric car is the future. is quiet, you can "refuel" at home, and the torque is higher...

I also don´t agree why people drive big cars (SUVs and such things) if they don´t need to. do they have farms or do they carry heavy cargo? no.

ego? yes. but the money they spend and the pollution their car generate is disgusting. why do you need a 5 seat cars if you´re single? why not a basic, small and simple eletric car?

the society need invest money on more efficient engines, smaller and more efficient engines. eletric, hybrids, even jet engines for car (turbo-axis).

my dream is one day I can buy an eletric car. the "Smart" but with an eletric engine would be perfect for me. I´m single, I want a small car so it will be easy to drive and park anywhere. and the eletric engine will be better because it will be a quiet car with almost 0 pollution and operate better...

big oil money

Before big oil there was whale oil and coal. Fortunately the market found a better option for whale oil before we ran out of whales.

Once upon a time there was typewriters. And offices had typing pools. Change or die. Petrochemicals will still have a niche and oil will be needed for lubrication. But there's a finite amount of oil in the Earth. It's going to run out sooner or later.

I always believed that the eletric car is the future. is quiet, you can "refuel" at home, and the torque is higher...

the society need invest money on more efficient engines, smaller and more efficient engines. eletric, hybrids, even jet engines for car (turbo-axis).

my dream is one day I can buy an eletric car. the "Smart" but with an eletric engine would be perfect for me. I´m single, I want a small car so it will be easy to drive and park anywhere. and the eletric engine will be better because it will be a quiet car with almost 0 pollution and operate better...

Good on you for being having an environmental conscience.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but where do you think the power to charge your EV/EHV will come from? You do realize that in the US, 2/3 of all electrical power that is generated comes from fossil fuels? You know, coal (btw, "clean coal" = fallacy), gas, oil. Canada's better than the US because we have an abundance of HE power generation...but have you ever wondered why there is a raging debate going on with BC Hydro's planned Site C? Hmmmm...could be due to significant environmental issues related to flooding large swaths of land and diverting the natural flow of water that have got NGOs and environmentalists up in arms.

It's commendable that you want to do your part to reduce GHG emissions...everybody should take some stewardship of the earth. But until such time where our collective reliance on fossil fuels to generate electricity is a thing of the past, no matter what you do, you're still going to be a consumer of dirty power.

The good news is that power from wind/solar/biomass/geothermal is on the rise...countries like Brazil have an awesome energy mix where biofuels from their wealth of sugar canes make up the primary source of energy...Denmark has shown that they can rely almost entirely on wind. So it's doable...and doable in our lifetime.

for me super :)

I also don´t agree why people drive big cars (SUVs and such things) if they don´t need to. do they have farms or do they carry heavy cargo? no.

ego? yes. but the money they spend and the pollution their car generate is disgusting. why do you need a 5 seat cars if you´re single? why not a basic, small and simple eletric car?

Picking up chicks in a smart car

Before big oil there was whale oil and coal. Fortunately the market found a better option for whale oil before we ran out of whales.

Once upon a time there was typewriters. And offices had typing pools. Change or die. Petrochemicals will still have a niche and oil will be needed for lubrication. But there's a finite amount of oil in the Earth. It's going to run out sooner or later.

Which is why we should be spending all our money used on illegal wars, and instead fund space programs. Rather than feeding the earth's blood (oil) to war machines that conquer small (in the grand scale) plots of territory. Look beyond our planet and you'll see that asteroids have plenty of metals to mine, and far away solar systems have planets with the resources being depleted on ours. But unfortunately.. Instead of following our destiny to become interplanetary masters of the universe, we're stuck in a vicious cannibalistic cycle of warfare with each faction looking to props itself up onto a pedestal of global domination.

Doesn't it suck when corporatism mixes with politics ):

Anyways I veered way off topic. So batteries yeah?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but where do you think the power to charge your EV/EHV will come from? You do realize that in the US, 2/3 of all electrical power that is generated comes from fossil fuels?

Innovation will continue to remove each obstacle, the tech of today will be exponentially better in the future.

Innovation will continue to remove each obstacle, the tech of today will be exponentially better in the future.

Very cool that you have the belief that advancements in innovation will open doors.

My partners and I are developing a scalable wind turbine technology (nameplate capacity of 10 kilowatts to 4.5 megawatts) that has the potential to change the way wind is harnessed to generate power, so hopefully our innovation is one of the many that will remove some of the obstacles.

I am finding this discussion on energy storage very interesting (thanks Minister for the awesome video you put up).

Good on you for being having an environmental conscience.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but where do you think the power to charge your EV/EHV will come from? You do realize that in the US, 2/3 of all electrical power that is generated comes from fossil fuels? You know, coal (btw, "clean coal" = fallacy), gas, oil. Canada's better than the US because we have an abundance of HE power generation...but have you ever wondered why there is a raging debate going on with BC Hydro's planned Site C? Hmmmm...could be due to significant environmental issues related to flooding large swaths of land and diverting the natural flow of water that have got NGOs and environmentalists up in arms.

It's commendable that you want to do your part to reduce GHG emissions...everybody should take some stewardship of the earth. But until such time where our collective reliance on fossil fuels to generate electricity is a thing of the past, no matter what you do, you're still going to be a consumer of dirty power.

The good news is that power from wind/solar/biomass/geothermal is on the rise...countries like Brazil have an awesome energy mix where biofuels from their wealth of sugar canes make up the primary source of energy...Denmark has shown that they can rely almost entirely on wind. So it's doable...and doable in our lifetime.

Change comes in all areas, or I'd hope it would. Along with better batteries to make electric cars more feasible, we should also be making significant use of wind and solar power on top of existing hydro power. Nuclear is an option in some places but hopefully that's a nut that can be cracked with something like fusion so coal power can be effectively eliminated or reduced.

You don't have to burst someone's bubble, change at any stage of the system is a good thing.

Archived