The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

AV - Coach of the Year

Pete M

Some interesting Jack Adams Award facts I just learned.

I did not know that Babcock has never won it.

Also just clued in that 2 time winner Jacques Demers is Senator Demers of the Conservative Party.

Also didn't know that Jack Adams played for the Millionaires. And is the 2nd most winning coach in Red Wings history (1st. Babcock, 3rd Bowman).

P195901S.jpg

His record speaks for itself...another president trophy and last year SCF.

Prior to that the Rangers weren't even on the radar.

Jack Adams should have his name on it again.

Yes they were. They were contending for prez in 2012. Finished just 2 points less than the Canucks and made it to the conference finals... And that was with Torts

There are a lot of crazy ramblings in this thread.

Alain Vigneault is a great coach. His record speaks for itself. Things went wrong here so he moved to New York and picked up where he left off. Lots of coaches lose game 7s. Happens.

Willie Desjardins is also a good coach. His record outside the NHL is outstanding and he has had a solid start to his NHL career.

There really is no need to compare the two. I find they are somewhat similar anyway.

One thing I'm getting tired hearing about is how good the Pacific is. I would argue that the 4 top teams in the Central are better than every team in the Pacific. The Kings have been great the past three years but not this season. They have played so much hockey that I think it caught up to them but they aren't great. I actually really wanted the Kings in the first round. Calgary is a tougher matchup. And the 28th and 29th place teams reside in the division.

Barring a Penguins improbable loss at Buffalo tonight, the Pacific will be the only division in the new alignment to have only three teams in the playoffs for the two years.

What I don't understand is why Babcock is so highly regarded in the NHL and in this country. He is a lock for the next Olympics game just because.

AV's won 3 Prez trophies and 2 SCF appearances with 2 different teams over the last 5 seasons. What has Babcock done for Detroit lately? He should be heavily considered for the next Team Canada Olympics head coach position.

There are a lot of crazy ramblings in this thread.

Alain Vigneault is a great coach. His record speaks for itself. Things went wrong here so he moved to New York and picked up where he left off. Lots of coaches lose game 7s. Happens.

Willie Desjardins is also a good coach. His record outside the NHL is outstanding and he has had a solid start to his NHL career.

There really is no need to compare the two. I find they are somewhat similar anyway.

One thing I'm getting tired hearing about is how good the Pacific is. I would argue that the 4 top teams in the Central are better than every team in the Pacific. The Kings have been great the past three years but not this season. They have played so much hockey that I think it caught up to them but they aren't great. I actually really wanted the Kings in the first round. Calgary is a tougher matchup. And the 28th and 29th place teams reside in the division.

Barring a Penguins improbable loss at Buffalo tonight, the Pacific will be the only division in the new alignment to have only three teams in the playoffs for the two years.

Good post.

I'm going to disagree somewhat with the penultimate paragraph. The Ducks, IMHO are as good as anyone in the central. Other than that, I agree that St. Louis, Chicage, Nashville and Minnesota are better teams than the balance of the Pacific.

Archived