The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

AV - Coach of the Year

Pete M

AV has 3 President's Trophies and 2 SCF appearances in the last 5 years. Every team he's had is an instant contender.

The guy doesn't get enough credit for what he does. No doubt the Rangers would be a good team without him, but with him they're Cup contenders and favourites.

Too many greats this year to say that WD is a shoo-in to be considered

Even though AV is a great coach, we had to move on and letting him go was the right move

Sometimes a team needs a new voice and a leader, and that was the case with VAN

The only reason our team was stacked in 2011 was because AV turned the Sedins, Burr, Kesler, Bieksa and Edler into who they were, and because nobody had an answer for his system and our players that year

The reason we lost in 2011 is because we were decimated by injuries

You're just embarrassing

Nailed it....

I think it has to go to WD / AV / RH

Oh and the whole injury thing is absolutely ridiculous. Did you watch the games in 2011. They were not injured. Kess ya ok. but that's it.

BOSTON DECIMATED US !!!

Now that's embarasssing

Jeez when you harbour these kind of eccentric delusions the best thing is not to let anyone else find out. You've just blown your cover big time.

Anyone who says WD is just biased and makes our fanbase look retarded. And I like WD.

WD.

There you are.

After the previous season we had AND the injuries to most of our team this year (including our No 1 goal tender) we have got to the playoffs while playing in the toughest division in the League. All that from a rookie coach, with transitioning team and a rookie GM and President.

Hell yeah I say WD.

You guys really need to re watch those games.

We would have won that series in 4 games if it were not for Romes hit and AVs useless coaching from that point forward.

Our team mentally fell apart because of Romes hit. That's embarrassing.

I don't dispute for one second that we were banged up at the end of the run, but, entering game 1 we were not a banged up bunch aside from Kesler.

Maybe I need to eat some crow on Hamuis but as I have said all along Hamuis was hurt playing the Boston Bruins. Entering game 1 Kesler and Samuelson(who was sidelined not playing injured) were the only injuries. Boston was responsible for everything else including Dan Hamuis.

As banged up as Kesler was, and as someone pointed out that regular people wouldn't be able to walk with Keslers injury, he still banged and scored goals. So what excuse did anyone else have ? especially with all the medical tools at our disposal to freeze and medicate sore and bruised players

Explain why Grapes even picked Van in 4 or 5 games if we were so banged up ? We weren't. Yes we had some injuries but we had more than enough to get the job done, even without Malhotra and his eye injury that has nothing to do with the conversation at hand . Malhotra never played in series 1, 2 or 3 so why is he relevant in 4 ? That's just the stupidest argument ever.

Boston Banged us up good ! Why because the coach didn't adjust strategies or lines to compensate for the Bruins physical play. Its the same problem he ran into with NY last year , although LA was a far superior team. Its the same issue AV will have again this year if they manage to get back to the finals!

2012 was totally AVs fault. Sure Daniel had a concussion. But our team was so over confident and cocky that they were so unprepared for playoff hockey that we got steam rolled by LA. That my friends is all coaching !

You guys can be Homers all you want, so am I, but it wont change the facts lol

Oh and FYI we won the Presidents Trophy in 2011 as well. So after this year AV will have 3 Presidents trophies and 0 Stanley Cups.

I don't think to many coaches would be proud of that stat!

The point is when WD is done in 5 years everyone will realize that AVs coaching was not as great as we would like to remember !

Rangers are where they are supposed to be. They have a loaded roster. Av should be a candidate but not the winner.

Hartley

Laviolette

AV

Yes AV always had a loaded roster every time he won a Presidents Trophy.

Most other coaches would turn those into Stanley Cup rings.

Although I must admit there wasn't much he could have done about LA last year.

Mark my words, AV will not win the Stanley Cup this year either !!!

We won the first two games first off. So in game three our top 3 centres were seriously injured, including Malhotra our best defensive centre of the season injured BEFORE the playoffs. Henrik's was probably the easiest to play though and Kesler the hardest. Malhotra was just ineffective and risked everything playing with a hurt eye.

Our second line 50+ pts winger was sidelined weeks earlier (Samuelsson) and he was a big part of the playoff success.

Defense had the biggest holes. Number one shut down d-man in Hamhuis out. Bieksa, Edler, and Ehrhoff were seriously banged up. Our depth dman Rome was out with a suspension.

So our top 3 centres had major injuries. Our 2nd line winger who scored at basically a first line rate was out. Our top defensive defenseman was out. Our other top 4 were nursing injuries that would normally sideline them for at least a few weeks in the regular season, if not a couple months, but they tried to play through it. Our most consistent depth defenseman (who stole the 6th spot from Ballard) was suspended.

So yeah. No injuries to key players. Just keep moving on.

Given all of that it's pretty crazy how we even had 2-0 and 3-2 series leads. AV is the most adaptable coach in this league imo. He doesn't have a predetermined system that he tries to force everyone to play, he builds around what he has. When he realized that basically had nothing to work with at the start of the finals, he tried to shut everything down at home where he had the last change. He turned back into 06/07 AV during the finals.

Yes AV always had a loaded roster every time he won a Presidents Trophy.

Most other coaches would turn those into Stanley Cup rings.

Although I must admit there wasn't much he could have done about LA last year.

Mark my words, AV will not win the Stanley Cup this year either !!!

He's a great coach come on! I think they could win it all this year. Rangers or Tampa should come out of the East. Hoping it's Washington!

AV is responsible for the mental road block our boys have played with the last 2 years.

Because AV doesn't know anything but AVs same old same old tactics.

Thats why we lost to a physical Bruins, a physical LA and NY lost to a physical LA

Thats why our boys under WD have finally beat LA

Because AV is the one responsible with his flying offence strategies to mentally mame our boys.

Defense is what wins Championships.

You guys really need to re watch those games.

We would have won that series in 4 games if it were not for Romes hit and AVs useless coaching from that point forward.

Our team mentally fell apart because of Romes hit. That's embarrassing.

I don't dispute for one second that we were banged up at the end of the run, but, entering game 1 we were not a banged up bunch aside from Kesler.

Maybe I need to eat some crow on Hamuis but as I have said all along Hamuis was hurt playing the Boston Bruins. Entering game 1 Kesler and Samuelson(who was sidelined not playing injured) were the only injuries. Boston was responsible for everything else including Dan Hamuis.

As banged up as Kesler was, and as someone pointed out that regular people wouldn't be able to walk with Keslers injury, he still banged and scored goals. So what excuse did anyone else have ? especially with all the medical tools at our disposal to freeze and medicate sore and bruised players

Explain why Grapes even picked Van in 4 or 5 games if we were so banged up ? We weren't. Yes we had some injuries but we had more than enough to get the job done, even without Malhotra and his eye injury that has nothing to do with the conversation at hand . Malhotra never played in series 1, 2 or 3 so why is he relevant in 4 ? That's just the stupidest argument ever.

Boston Banged us up good ! Why because the coach didn't adjust strategies or lines to compensate for the Bruins physical play. Its the same problem he ran into with NY last year , although LA was a far superior team. Its the same issue AV will have again this year if they manage to get back to the finals!

2012 was totally AVs fault. Sure Daniel had a concussion. But our team was so over confident and cocky that they were so unprepared for playoff hockey that we got steam rolled by LA. That my friends is all coaching !

Oh and FYI we won the Presidents Trophy in 2011 as well. So after this year AV will have 3 Presidents trophies and 0 Stanley Cups.

I don't think to many coaches would be proud of that stat!

The point is when WD is done in 5 years everyone will realize that AVs coaching was not as great as we would like to remember !

Hank, Kesler, Ehrhoff, Edler, Samuelson were all injured before the Boston series. How many of those guys were key to our scoring? (Hint: everyone). All we had were Daniel and Burrows left (and I think we all agree they are much more dangerous with a healthy Henrik Sedin as opposed to a injured Henrik)

And Kesler did not score goals in the Boston series like you are saying here. I know you dislike AV but don't change the facts to make him appear like he cost us the cup. He took us to 7 games with his top three centres, and entire d core seriously injured.

If you think it's a guarantee that all Canadian teams go to game 7 just look at the senators in 06/07, they got crushed in 5 games.

Hank, Kesler, Ehrhoff, Edler, Samuelson were all injured before the Boston series. How many of those guys were key to our scoring? (Hint: everyone). All we had were Daniel and Burrows left (and I think we all agree they are much more dangerous with a healthy Henrik Sedin as opposed to a injured Henrik)

And Kesler did not score goals in the Boston series like you are saying here. I know you dislike AV but don't change the facts to make him appear like he cost us the cup. He took us to 7 games with his top three centres, and entire d core seriously injured.

If you think it's a guarantee that all Canadian teams go to game 7 just look at the senators in 06/07, they got crushed in 5 games.

Ok so this is pointless arguing with people who just make $&!# up !

Watch the fracking games again before posting stupid untrue comments !

You guys think Detroit, New Jersey and LA won multiple Championships with just all out offense ? lol

Come on guys we all know that DEFENSE along with offensive capabilities is what wins Championships

You think AV didn't know that?

We won all of our games in the finals (and Chicago series) playing defensively sound hockey.

AV asked Gillis for better defensive players so Gillis went out and signed Hamhuis and Malhotra.

Ok so this is pointless arguing with people who just make crap up !

Watch the fracking games again before posting stupid untrue comments !

So you think I made up this article which I based my post off of....

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=566315

You think I made of the fact Kesler had no goals after his injury in game 5 of the finals which you say he did have.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8470616&view=log&season=20102011

As banged up as Kesler was, and as someone pointed out that regular people wouldn't be able to walk with Keslers injury, he still banged and scored goals.

Kind of ironic that you tell us not to change the facts when you're the one doing it.

Archived